IGNORED

New Badge - Revealed?

Ian M

I suspect in the way consumers have protested about things in the past, we just won't buy anything with this monstrosity included on it.

Whether this is proactively encouraged in things like official boycotts is up to us to decide.

Put it this way, Madger, if the new badge is forced on us then i will be buying absolutely nothing from the City Shop that incorporates it.

If, on the other hand, they settle on a design that mirrors cider head's popular alternative, or even if they leave it as it is, i will be purchasing a couple of shirts for a start.

I recently bought my son a City pillowcase and he was all for going the whole hog with curtains, duvet cover etc. He's now said he doesn't want them if the new badge is on it, and he wouldn't want a new shirt either. Are you reading this, Mr. Gould?

If the club won't listen, i can see sales of merchandise going through the floor, official boycott or not.

• Admin
Put it this way, Madger, if the new badge is forced on us then i will be buying absolutely nothing from the City Shop that incorporates it.

If, on the other hand, they settle on a design that mirrors cider head's popular alternative, or even if they leave it as it is, i will be purchasing a couple of shirts for a start.

I recently bought my son a City pillowcase and he was all for going the whole hog with curtains, duvet cover etc. He's now said he doesn't want them if the new badge is on it, and he wouldn't want a new shirt either. Are you reading this, Mr. Gould?

If the club won't listen, i can see sales of merchandise going through the floor, official boycott or not.

I feel much the same way. Since being a City fan I have always bought at least one replica shirt each season (and occasionally both the home and away). If this new poorly designed badge were to be included I think I would be too embarassed to wear it and would therefore not be buying a shirt for the first time in over a decade.

If they HAVE to have a new badge then I honestly feel that designing something along the lines of cider head's hastily arranged, alcohol induced effort would be more appropriate.

yeah i agree.. the boat leaving the castle badge many regard

as rovers, a pirate ship? silly i know but some fans do think it and that

badge has been used by most bristol sporting clubs as some point

and no real ID to bristol city f.c. now the robin was in the spotlight

in our days of the top flight at the time liverpool were having their

best days so english club fans know our robin badge, even some sunday

news papers are still using it, it is fact today young and old remember

gerry gow and co with that badge on their shirts and not being funny how

many in 20 years time will remember joe burnell with the city crest on

his shirt.

below i have tom and paul with the crest and it was changed

to the robin so why not go back to what most people know,

to much tradition changing is not good, we had our best and worst

days with the robin badge so for some it is held in great affection.

For what its worth cider head. I like the idea behind your badge.

However I really don't see that as the main issue at this stage. The thing that is far more serious is that the club have done this with little or no consultation with the fans and from where I'm standing, they seem to have taken no professional advice at all.

The badge the club have put forward is a pile of poo, I think anyone with eyes in their head can see that. But the fact that this has been done in the way it has is what really worries me and that is the point I think the club needs to answer before moving onto what the badge should be.

However I really don't see that as the main issue at this stage. The thing that is far more serious is that the club have done this with little or no consultation with the fans and from where I'm standing, they seem to have taken no professional advice at all.

The badge the club have put forward is a pile of poo, I think anyone with eyes in their head can see that. But the fact that this has been done in the way it has is what really worries me and that is the point I think the club needs to answer before moving onto what the badge should be.

fair comment and i can see what your getting at :city:

Absolutely,

Steve Lansdown (whom I assume will ultimately decide) should ask himself. Would his company be willing to use such tack on its headed paper?

I suspect no, so why do the board deem it acceptable for us?

This new badge sucks the devils ...

• Admin

Pathetic, it looks like the losing entrant from a class of seven year olds.

This badge if adopted will make BCFC a laughing stock, I can already hear the hoots of derision from north of the river....................

I'd be happy to keep the crest, revert to the robin badge or take on Cider Heads design, but this inept, juvenile effort should be withdrawn immediately.

Definate thumbs down for the new one. I hate it! :vomit2:

Either keep the current one or bring back (or revise) the old one.

Robin, bridge & ball for me! :city:

I'm sure people on here can come up with a good design that doesn't look like it has been drawn by a junior school kid, over to you!!!

My thoughts from the other post, which has been moved over to the polls section.

Just to add I also really like Cider Head's design ,see I knew someone could come up with something better! A good mix of old and new(er.

:grr::grr::grr::blink::cool:^_^:o:wub::clap::clap:

EDIT: I've just realised something!!!!

The badge WAS put together in less than 5 mins by a child. It's just a ploy to get us all moaning about something other than Tinnion and the team for a while. Memo from the Boardroom, stick a new bagde on there and they'll discuss that and give us all a break for a few days....and we all fell for it! :D

Who are the clever ones now then???!!!! :(

There must be a lot of young city fans on this forum judging by the stupid comment's made about the "NEW BADGE"."must have been put together in five minit's etc". THIS IS NOT A NEW BADGE. I have several of these new badges which i have owned for many years and they must be at least 15 to 20yrs old.If I was more cleverer at this stupid computor I would post a photograph of it. :city:

There must be a lot of young city fans on this forum judging by the stupid comment's made about the "NEW BADGE"."must have been put together in five minit's etc". THIS IS NOT A NEW BADGE. I have several of these new badges which i have owned for many years and they must be at least 15 to 20yrs old.If I was more cleverer at this stupid computor I would post a photograph of it. :city:

I guess you are refering directly to my comments?

Actually you have made my day by calling me a 'young City fan' so your insult clearly didn't have the desired affect! :P

Whether the actual picture is new or old, it's 'new' as far as it is being put forward to replace the existing design. It looks hurriedly put together and very unprofessional. As indeed the whole issue has been, IMHO.

I'm very happy that you have badges, good for you!

Guest footy frenzy

Coventry tried to introduce a new badge and after 4000 fans said they would never wear or buy anything with it on they did a u turn. Don't let them get away with you can get them to change there minds.

01026944768300.jpg

I am suprised that no-one has pointed out that the Badge that every one sees as 'The Badge' was only introduced in 1976 when we went up to the First Division. I think it was Alan Dicks who introduced the suspension bridge at that point, prior to that the Robin was overlayed over a five bar gate. I actually liked the earlier version and was sad to see that go, but I don't remember the supporters getting a say then either.

I don't have a problem with a badge change and can understand the reasoning behind it. But the proposed new design is HIDEOUS. It's awful without the robin and even worse with it. Please do not inflict that piece of dated, ugly tat on us for the next decade or more. It is VILE.

Given Bristol City Council's appalling record when it comes to supporting sport in general and football / BCFC in particular I'd query the need for a logo so closely resembling the City of Bristol crest.

Percy Parrott's take is also close to mine, i.e. there is no more powerful symbol of Bristolian pride than the Clifton Bridge - IKB's masterful piece of engineering can be seen from Ashton Gate and AG can be seen from it, so what better starting point?

Add a Concorde-shaped Robin in flight above it (balancing a football on the end of its nose a la Jake the Dog) and the motto "who would be leader should first be a bridge" and there's your corporate image statement thingumy.

I guess you are refering directly to my comments?

Actually you have made my day by calling me a 'young City fan' so your insult clearly didn't have the desired affect! :P

Why is it that everytime someone reply's to a post it is seen as an insult!

yes,i have collected city badges over the year's I didn't realise that it was something to be ridiculed. :Sleep12:

Taken from thisisbristol.co.uk article

Gould responded by saying: "The problem with the old coat of arms badge is that you can't see the actual detail, so we've been looking for something with a bit more clarity.

OK, you want clarity? whats wrong with the Robin and Suspension Bridge?

shirts.gif

Take a look RichardG, It looks great!

I am suprised that no-one has pointed out that the Badge that every one sees as 'The Badge' was only introduced in 1976 when we went up to the First Division.  I think it was Alan Dicks who introduced the suspension bridge at that point, prior to that the Robin was overlayed over a five bar gate.  I actually liked the earlier version and was sad to see that go, but I don't remember the supporters getting a say then either.

the crest was used on city's shirts before top flight football

and was on citys shirts in the promotion season

and as you say the robin was used from 1976 onwards,

but the five bar gate was used on programs 1972 / 1973

and i could be wrong but it has not been on a city shirt?

the crest is citys oldest badge..

prog7qy.jpg

How sure are we that this is going to be the new badge?

It looks absolutely rubbish. I would not buy a single piece of merchandise with such a naff design on it.

Who's going to make the new kit? Mr Byrite?

I don't think anyone knows, I posted asking RG that exact question yesterday afternoon. So far not a dickie bird.

He was viewing that forum afterwards yesterday, he must be too busy.

Is it me or do less favourable posts get answered a lot slower than ones offering praise? :dunno: Forgive me, I'm obviously imagining it.

Archived