IGNORED

Could We Get A Live Match On Sky?

Never to the dark side

Having a look at the fixtures and the way the table is shaping up.

Sky will be looking round for some interesting Nationwide division 2 games

Well,

sat 31 jan is Brighton v Plymouth LIVE on Sky

fri feb 20th QPR v Peterborogh LIVE on Sky

That leaves

Sat feb 28th Sheff wed v City

Sat april 3rd City v QPR

Tues 13th April City vPlymouth (Champions league night)

Sat 24 april QPR v Plymouth (possibly)

Sat 10 april (EASTER SATURDAY) City v Swindon

As the second division is only allowed 745pm friday night and saturday 535pm kick offs

I would not like to see the Sheff wed game moved

The swindon game Sky are not interested in our local derbys

Plymouth is a midweek game

That just leaves the game against QPR

Would any one be interested in e-mailing Sky requesting the QPR be broadcast LIVE on Sky. What would most City fans prefer Friday night or Saturday evening

Mine would be friday night

Guest Harry May

My boss is a season ticket holder at St Marys . You would not believe some of the days and start times they kick off at. As Schutz says above , football should be played at 15:00 on a saturday or 19:45 on a Tuesday.When you live along way from the ground it can be a nightmare getting to games anyway , without being pi55ed about by Sky.

Caldicot Red.

My boss is a season ticket holder at St Marys . You would not believe some of the days and start times they kick off at. As Schutz says above , football should be played at 15:00 on a saturday or 19:45 on a Tuesday.When you live along way from the ground it can be a nightmare getting to games anyway , without being pi55ed about by Sky.

Caldicot Red.

Get real! Sky pay up millions to show live football.Its only right that they call the shots.If it wasn't for them you wouldn't see half the top players that are currently in the Premiership.

Guest Harry May

That's just the point Robbored - I do n't watch Premiership football and really could n't give a t055 about Man U etc. So , why should us , as ordinary football fans who actually support a football team ( as opposed to sitting on our fat ar5e5 in our favourite armchairs , drinking lager and watching the box ) be dictated to over the start or day that OUR team kick-off. Should the arm chair fan take presedence over the proper fan ? I think not . Is the arm chair fan more important than a part time fan even ? I would suggest that somebody who attends half a dozen City games a season contributes more to our club , than somebody who just watches Sky sports. That is getting real , as I see it.

Sky has driven a wedge between the haves and the have-nots . We are have-nots .

They have n't done us any favours.

Caldicot Red.

That's just the point Robbored - I do n't watch Premiership football and really could n't give a t055 about Man U etc. So , why should us , as ordinary football fans who actually support a football team ( as opposed to sitting on our fat ar5e5 in our favourite armchairs , drinking lager and watching the box ) be dictated to over the start or day that OUR team kick-off. Should the arm chair fan take presedence over the proper fan ? I think not . Is the arm chair fan more important than a part time fan even ? I would suggest that somebody who attends half a dozen City games a season contributes more to our club , than somebody who just watches Sky sports. That is getting real , as I see it.

Sky has driven a wedge between the haves and the have-nots . We are have-nots .

They have n't done us any favours.

Caldicot Red.

City have had several live games over the past 4 or 5 seasons that if you add up the income from comes in at around £200k.Thats not chicken feed when your in Division 2.

I dunno what you mean when you say Sky haven't done us any favours.

I agree with Robbored. Sky has changed the face of professional football and ploughed millions into the game.

It is down to them that the Premiership is one of the best leagues in the world, that attracts the best players in the world.

I feel sorry for you if you are so much of a snob that you 'refuse' to be an 'armchair fan' and watch top quality football.

I watch it every chance I get and appreciate the top class stuff, but it doesn't stop me from being a season ticket holder at Bristol Cty and watching them whenever I can.

If anyone denies themselves the opportunity to watch Premiership football, I can't really see how they can call themselves football fans. I am by no means an Arsenal supporter (in fact, I follow Spurs), but I can appreciate the quality stuff they played today and also that Henry was robbed when getting 2nd place in player of the year.

If it means I can get to watch stuff like that on TV, they can kick off whatever time Sky chooses.

I recall that City made £150,000 from the FA Cup tie away to Kingstonian alone and I believe that for a league game at home they get around £30,000, and about £10,000 for an away game. I suspect that with two recent Wembley and Millenium Stad finals plus two recent play-offs at home and an average of 2/3 league games per season added to the actual money from the Sky deal (although much reduced after the ITV Digital fiasco) that we might be looking at around £1 million from Sky since the mid-nineties.

I appreciate that matches being moved around can be a pain for some people, but I think that, apart from the money, a televised game adds something to the occasion, with the added advantage of being able to go home and watch the video afterwards (depending on the result obviously) and the Sky Sports presentation for lower league games is far superior to what the local TV company is able to come up with.

All in all it raises the profile of the club (lets try to forget the pitch invasion v the Gas in 1996) and shows that the TV company takes its duty to provide decent and professional coverage of football at all levels + you can watch Soren Anderssen equalise in the last few minutes at the Stadium of Light on a tuesday night.

I'm with Caldicot on this one, sky have done nothing for the football league, well actually that is a lie, they have turned the English clubs into the have and have nots, the game is dying outside of the Premier league because the money is not being divided up fairly, the coverage on tv is better, but i haven't seen an improvement in quality for the majority of the clubs apart from the big three.

If has improved so much then why is it only Man Utd are still the only club to have won the Champions league and only three clubs have won the Premier league, the old first division were awash with winning European cups and other European trophies in the 70's and 80's without a huge foreign influx and disgusting amounts of money, if anything we have gone backwards.

Archived