IGNORED

The Luton Chanting...

red84

Andy, my man.......

I have asked some dozen or so Lu'on fans who were at Dog Kennel Road, on Saturday, including three who were within 50 feet of the Red Army fans, wether or not they heard any racist chanting. The survey said: Nil, zero, zilch, nada, hapana, nix, ohne.  *UH UH* X X X. They don't see the chant as racist, and judging from my own experience chatting to an Asian steward, and black girl in one of the kiosks, and the lack of fixed smiles, on their faces-just genuine friendly smiles. That to this humble illiterate peasant from the sticks, indicates it wasnt racist, and certainly on my experience, and Lu'on supporting mates/aquaintances, neither do Lu'on fans. Which was my point. They saw it as banter, returning the banter with their own. They actually laughed when I mentioned some City fans thought there was racist chanting going on. Is that clear enough?

Your point would be valid, if a team like Milwall or others with NF etc connections were visiting.Specially there........

Most City fans will know at least one black/asian as a friend, and I think we're all if not tolerant, able to keep racist comments to ourselves.

I for one bloody resent being told I'm racist, and I'm sure others there would also be likewise.

I've seen real racism in action, and that was NOT racism.......carrying pass books at all times is racist, living in the worst land, thats racism, forcing someone to speak a foreign tongue, thats racist, massacres of one tribe, by another thats racist, burning down churches/mosques/synagogues, thats racist, battering someone of a different colour for fun, thats racist.

Sorry, but just because you and your twelve friends from Luton thought it was banter, that doesnt mean the songs weren't racist.

And just because people do worse things like burning down mosques, that doesn't make it any more acceptable for us to sing racially offensive songs.

But, I haven't said you are racist. I've said the songs are racist and that people are singing them because they are unaware that they are racially offensive. (I think you've proved that)

If this debate shows anything (and I'm aware that we're going around in circles a bit), it shows that clarification is needed from the club or from the FA.

Ok, I'll go back to my original post one more time...

"I believe that its tolerated a lot more because welsh people are less inclined to be offended or threatened by it. Although of course, if they were then it would be racist too."

The differnce is that I think that while we might think the small town in wales is offensive, we don't find it racially offensive.

I believe that the small town in asia chants could be seen as racist.

So its not equal.  But even if we were racially offended by the anti-welsh chants, it still isnt acceptable to respond in the way we did.

My turn to do one of these i think....  banghead.gif

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

only joking, good point made. I was refering back to us being offended calling us welsh not the welsh people beeing offended as they might well be. + the part where you are referring to the chants not being equal, well surely they are if they're discriminating against different countries, you are only saying it isnt equal because of skin colour. As you have said previously this is going round in circles, but surely if they sing a song meant to offend us we are going to sing back appropriate or not, that is what opposing fans do. what are we supposed to sing? your just a small town in the the south east, sounds naff, + vice versa to us. to me that particular song comes across as banter.

YOUR QUITE RIGHT, THESE CHANTS HAVE BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS.  THEY'RE NOT RACIST JUST SIMPLE BANTER.

COME ON YOU REDS!

Now, read this carefully (let your lips move if they have to) and think ...

The Oxford dictionary defines banter as "the good-humoured exchange of teasing remarks".

You reckon, therefore, that "You're just a small town in Asia", sung to the predominantly white following of a club in Bedfordshire "teases" them, by making reference (in, you say, a good hearted way) to their large Asian population.

The only possible way that this can be construed as "teasing" is if you think having a large number of people of Asian origin in your town's population is a bad thing.

And, if you think that having a large number of people of Asian origin in your town's population is a bad thing, the that is racist.

However good natured your "teasing", however well received it is, it is racist!

It may be that you don't mind like being racist, but if you'd rather not be seen as a racist, don't sing racist songs.

It's that simple.

If any asian people were offended by it, then it is racist.

rubbish!! if i was to eat a bacon sandwich in front of a muslim and he didnt like it and i said well I'm eating it anyone ,he is offended does that make it wrong cus one person siad so?? No it doesnt. ranting.gif

Archived