IGNORED

Ashes

The Batman

Who honestly thinks that we can beat the Australians this summer.

IMO, I think that we have a great opportunity, one which we have not had in the previous tests, however, it does not mean that we will beat them convincely.

I think that if Pieterson keeps up his one day batting record then he'll be indespensable, however, Thorpe's experience will also be important to the summer, and not both players will be chosen in the first team.

Vaughan needs a confidence booster from somewhere, our bowlers are more than capable of taking wickets, and good old Freddy Flintoff will be key to both batting and bowling.

And local boy Trescothic will either hit centuries, or will go for less than 10 runs within 5 overs.

Any thoughts anyone????

Guest Tactical Genius

Not a chance.

Australia are capable of enormous scores, anyone in the top 7 is capable of getting a couple of hundreds in the series, and they'll be big ones too. These guys just get going when they sail past 3 figures, none of this 101-120 for these sods, they'll get 160-190 if not more. Double hundreds are not a rarity. Can't say the same about England, anyone in the top 7 is likely to fail more often than not. Compare Jones against Gilchrist at 7 and you get an idea about the depth of the batting. This leads directly on to the next problem, that of recovery. If Australia get us on the back foot we will be skittled out. they however are quite capable of recovering from not many for 5. Against Pakistan this winter they were in that position and ended up winning by over 450 runs. that is just obscene.

Australian Key men.

McGrath - F'king robot. Every single frigging ball lands just short of a length on off stump. You just don't get the opportunity to switch off with this bloke. Quicker than he looks, dangerous even on flat tracks. Awesome, probably the best bowler of my lifetime.

Clark - Not many English people know about him yet. My bet is they will be sick of the sight of him come September. Will score heaps of runs, and probably grab a few vital wickets too.

Gilchrist - At number 7 you want to get into the tail, but you've got to get rid of this f'ker first. Can, and has, turned test matches in 5 overs. One of the finest bats of his generation, incapable of the watchful innings. Battle against Flintoff will be vital, sparks will fly.

Langer - My bet for top run scorer in the series.

England.

Trescothick - Lack of footwork will be found wanting against the best attack in the world.

Strauss - Has replaced Vaughan as the wicket the opposition want the most. If England are to challenge he will have to score heavily and often. Expect to receive lots of bouncers, strange field settings and sledging.

Flintoff - This will either be the making of him or illustrate that he is just another bully of weak teams. I expect him to perform better with the ball than the bat - see McGrath.

None of the bowlers look strong enough to collectively get 20 Australian wickets regularly. There will be sporadic good performances, but the consistency of McGrath and Gillespie just ain't there I'm afraid.

TG says 3-1 Australia (assuming weather stays good).

Australia are a strong in every department and any of their players could walk into any other test side.They are an awesome outfit, and cocky with it which make you hate 'em even more.

Englands batting is still prone to collapse as we saw in S.Africa,maybe not as suseptable as it once was but still able to fold at any time.Englands bowling is also too weak against top batsmen and over 5 test will be found out by the Aussies.Englands only chance is if Harmison finds his best form again and can maintain it thou' the series.I can't see any other English bowler causing them problems.

Trescothick's home averages are much better than his away ones and despite his lack of footwork he does have a decent record in England.If he and Strauss can both find form that could also make a difference.

But....I'm not confident and England to lose the series 2-1

Who honestly thinks that we can beat the Australians this summer.

<snip>

Any thoughts anyone????

If we can win one match it would be a big achievement. I don't think we have the bowling to worry their batting line-up; maybe if all our bowlers were firing on all cylinders at once ... but a) it's a big if and b) I can't see how a pitch that favoured our bowlers wouldn't favour their's still more sad.gif

Not a chance.

Australia are capable of enormous scores, anyone in the top 7 is capable of getting a couple of hundreds in the series, and they'll be big ones too. These guys just get going when they sail past 3 figures, none of this 101-120 for these sods, they'll get 160-190 if not more. Double hundreds are not a rarity. Can't say the same about England, anyone in the top 7 is likely to fail more often than not. Compare Jones against Gilchrist at 7 and you get an idea about the depth of the batting. This leads directly on to the next problem, that of recovery. If Australia get us on the back foot we will be skittled out. they however are quite capable of recovering from not many for 5. Against Pakistan this winter they were in that position and ended up winning by over 450 runs. that is just obscene.

Australian Key men.

McGrath - F'king robot. Every single frigging ball lands just short of a length on off stump. You just don't get the opportunity to switch off with this bloke. Quicker than he looks, dangerous even on flat tracks. Awesome, probably the best bowler of my lifetime.

Clark - Not many English people know about him yet. My bet is they will be sick of the sight of him come September. Will score heaps of runs, and probably grab a few vital wickets too.

Gilchrist - At number 7 you want to get into the tail, but you've got to get rid of this f'ker first. Can, and has, turned test matches in 5 overs. One of the finest bats of his generation, incapable of the watchful innings. Battle against Flintoff will be vital, sparks will fly.

Langer - My bet for top run scorer in the series.

England.

Trescothick - Lack of footwork will be found wanting against the best attack in the world.

Strauss - Has replaced Vaughan as the wicket the opposition want the most. If England are to challenge he will have to score heavily and often. Expect to receive lots of bouncers, strange field settings and sledging.

Flintoff - This will either be the making of him or illustrate that he is just another bully of weak teams. I expect him to perform better with the ball than the bat - see McGrath.

None of the bowlers look strong enough to collectively get 20 Australian wickets regularly. There will be sporadic good performances, but the consistency of McGrath and Gillespie just ain't there I'm afraid.

TG says 3-1 Australia (assuming weather stays good).

Clarks outstanding, England have only a very slim chance, and i agree with the comparing Gilchrist and Jones, i know which one id rather have, you can also compare the openers, Trescothic - hayden, Hayden much better! bowlers, Harmison, Jones?, Hoggard, giles - compared with Lee, Gillespie, McGraph! i know which bowling line up id prefer! i believe it will finish 3-0 Australia with Poor weather saving England from a whitewash!

Archived