IGNORED

The Bristol Derby.....

BS4 on Tour...

Did anyone else listen to Talksport about noon last Saturday? They were discussing the Merseyside and Brum derbies that were taking place on the Sunday.

I don't know who he was but some t##t was saying only derbies involving the top clubs are worth bothering about and he said (quote): "Let's take the Bristol derby for example, no-one outside Bristol or in the whole universe cares about this small game and for a metropolis of 1 million people the two teams are massively underachieving and until they merge Bristol will never compete."

Firstly - I don't care if people outside Bristol don't care about our derby (not that we will ever have another one!!) - it is OUR game so the rest of the country / world can butt out.

Secondly - since when has Bristol had a population of 1 million???!!!

To be fair, Andy Townsend was also on the show and he stuck up for the Bristol derby but the other clown made me seethe. Why does a game have to be between so called 'big' teams to be of interest?

Secondly - since when has Bristol had a population of 1 million???!!!

This might explain : http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/aboutbris/edo_key_facts.html

And I should add, I agree that it's irrelevant if no one cares about the derby but us. I must admit I am beginning to miss the old rivalry that we had in the 1980s and early 1990s. It wouldn't be so bad if we were actually acheiving some form of success, but when we're stuck in the lower divisions it would be nice to have a couple of games we could get genuinely excited about.

that clown is Mike Parry, so far up his own a@@e he talks total b@@@@@ks.... even once suggested that Norwich and Ipswich should merge, he is only interested in Everton and Liverpool as a derby and since Rooney went to Manure he raves about manc derbies.

he is a class one ######.

ahh, that feels better, !!!!!!!!

CHR city.gif

that clown is Mike Parry, so far up his own a@@e he talks total b@@@@@ks.... even once suggested that Norwich and Ipswich should merge, he is only interested in Everton and Liverpool as a derby and since Rooney went to Manure he raves about manc derbies.

he is a class one ######.

ahh, that feels better, !!!!!!!!

CHR  city.gif

Always on saying that Bristol clubs should merge, so should Sheffield, Nottingham etc. As soon as a Liverpool-Everton merger is suggested, he gets very defensive.

Guest hairyshamrock

I know how you feel, i used to know a bloke in a pub i worked in who wouldn't sleep for a week before, wouldn't eat and would go up to a 40 a day man cos he really didn't want us to lose.

I care about the derbies and i consider myself to live in greater-greater-greater bristol a total of 20.4 miles as the crow flies from the hallowed turf in BS3.

I don't think the rest of the world matters, as long as it matters to us then i don't think we should worry.

I was at the England game yesterday, which to all intense and purposes was a derby and the atmos was as flat as a witches wosname - apart from the noise made by the irish fans who were fantastic to watch around the ground before as well as inside.

I remember leaving the derby game on a friday night when we won 3-2 with a headache from the noise, stress and shouting - it was one of the best nights of my life. I don't care what the rest of the world thinks.

However, i would say that i think that our form has suffered since the demise of the gas as we now have no yard stick. Who do we want to finish above if they are not here?

It's a;ways been a "catchment area" situation and the pople who sit either side of me every Saturday are from the Reading area, although one, like me, was Bristol born and bred.

He's right about the underacheiving bit though, although, why putting two underacheivers together will suddenly create an acheiver, baffles me dunno.gif

For confirmation look at HP & Compaq in the business world.

Rovers are more skint than we are, with worst facilities and smaller support.

It's a fantasy to think that if one club went bust tomorrow, the fans would automatically switch.

I couldn't care less what people from outside of Bristol think of our derbies. At the end of the day no matter where you're from, every set of supporters look forward to THAT game. Whether it be in the Premiership, La Liga, League 1 or even your local pub side, it doesn't matter what level you play at you have something to prove in those games - who the better local side is.

You can't beat the feeling of a local derby, the build-up, the hype, the banter, the atmosphere, the game itself.

So what if he doesn't care much for the Bristol one, he can stick his local derby where the sun don't shine.

Used to enjoy them alot ,ie the glou cup where did that go?? I think our first teams should feature in it again,it was amazing atmosphere wasnt it?? and to be honest not alot of trouble as i remeber.

Oh and that parry he is sooo intelligent he has recently started a hate campaigm againts people who use rucksacks?? nice one Parry you twit,over opinionated and don't know what hes talkin about!

Parry's only speaking the truth.

No-one outside of our patch is interested in the Bristol derby.Why would they be?

I couldn't care less who wins the Merseyside,North East,Brummie or Old Firm derby for that matter.Many who live around here or follow City probably feel the same way.Its the local interest and rivalry that matters.

I remember playing Rovers on a night match back in the early 90's at The Gate. After the game we went back to our local pub. There were 4 or 5 Middleborough fans in there. They were working in Bristol, and had been to the match. They were absolutely gobsmacked by it. They just couldn't get over the atmosphere down there. The best football matches are always derby games (not county!). Forget silly champions league, premiership etc.. There's nothing to match the atmosphere of a City v Rovers, Millwall v West Ham, Ipswich v Norwich, Cardiff v Swansea etc... city.gif

I remember playing Rovers on a night match back in the early 90's at The Gate. After the game we went back to our local pub. There were 4 or 5 Middleborough fans in there. They were working in Bristol, and had been to the match. They were absolutely gobsmacked by it. They just couldn't get over the atmosphere down there. The best football matches are always derby games (not county!). Forget silly champions league, premiership etc.. There's nothing to match the atmosphere of a City v Rovers, Millwall v West Ham, Ipswich v Norwich, Cardiff v Swansea etc...  city.gif

To my shame, earlier this season when there was still everything to play for, I hold my hands up to actually wanting the g@s to win. It would be good to have them in the same division if we didn't go up, even if it did mean them squeezing out of the basement. Perhaps I should book some extra sessions with my councillor...

Oh and that parry he is sooo intelligent he has recently started a hate campaigm againts people who use rucksacks?? nice one Parry you twit,over opinionated and don't know what hes talkin about!

Can't believe you've all been sucked in to hating this Parry bloke. I listen to talk sport and its just so blatantly obvious he only says this stuff to get people to phone in/keep listening because they can't believe what they're hearing!

Archived