IGNORED

Luke_Ciderhead

It was slightly before my time, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me when promotion was actually assured in the 1989-90 season? Were we already up before that awful night in Trumpton? Did other results mean that we were mathematically up? Or did we go into the last game of the season against Walsall needing a result?

Just curious dunno.gif

We were mathematically promoted after the Twerton match on the Tuesday night following when we didn't actually play.

Notts Co and Reading drew in the midweek afterwards which meant that one of them (sorry, I can't remember which) could no longer catch us.

On the last day if we beat Walsall, Rovers still had to win at Blackpool to ensure the title, there were the usual nonsense rumours about the score at the Gate, but Rovers team of long ball thugs won and football mourned.

We were mathematically promoted after the Twerton match on the Tuesday night following when we didn't actually play.

biggrin.gif

Notts Co and Reading drew in the midweek afterwards which meant that one of them (sorry, I can't remember which) could no longer catch us.

w00t.gif

On the last day if we beat Walsall, Rovers still had to win at Blackpool to ensure the title, there were the usual nonsense rumours about the score at the Gate, but Rovers team of long ball thugs won and football mourned.

crying.gif

Didn't we beat Walsall 4-1 and they get relegated that season???

Then in the following season we finished 9th and they finished 13th in the old 2nd division laugh.gif

Then they went down in '93 while City stayed in the division until '95.

Infact in the 15 years since 1990, Rovers have finished above us in the league only a further 3 times!

One Team in Bristol dance.gif

Guest DrFaustus
Rovers team of long ball thugs won and football mourned.

Come on Sippers, cheer up. Only a few thousand in South Bristol/North Somerset mourned.

Some of us were rather pleased. biggrin.gif

It was 4-1 or 4-0.  Think Marc Gavin scored a penalty.

I remember the crowd running onto the pitch twice and nearly causing the game to be abandoned.

Nibor

I remember the matchday announcer asking "can we have the ball back please" after it flew into a crowd of people ready to invade the pitch infront of the Dolman.....i clearly remember seeing some chap shove it up his top! And also that day a group of about 20 people each pulling at a one of the players shirts that got thrown to the crowd....may have been Bobs but I'm not sure.....great days! biggrin.gif

I remember the matchday announcer asking "can we have the ball back please" after it flew into a crowd of people ready to invade the pitch infront of the Dolman.....i clearly remember seeing some chap shove it up his top! And also that day a group of about 20 people each pulling at a one of the players shirts that got thrown to the crowd....may have been Bobs but I'm not sure.....great days! biggrin.gif

Remeber having a sore throat for a few days after all the singing in the East End and long after the whisle had gone.Those were great days. city.gif

It was slightly before my time, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me when promotion was actually assured in the 1989-90 season? Were we already up before that awful night in Trumpton? Did other results mean that we were mathematically up? Or did we go into the last game of the season against Walsall needing a result?

Just curious dunno.gif

We lost to the Rovers on the Tuesday (or was it the Wednesday) night. That meant they were promoted. Notts County then drew with Reading (was it a last minute equaliser from Reading or am I dreaming?) on the Thursday night, which meant that we were promoted. The game on the Saturday against Walsall (already relegated) was, therefore, one big party. A fantastic day, only spoiled by the Rovers winning away and therefore becoming champions.

We lost to the Rovers on the Tuesday (or was it the Wednesday) night. That meant they were promoted. Notts County then drew with Reading (was it a last minute equaliser from Reading or am I dreaming?) on the Thursday night, which meant that we were promoted. The game on the Saturday against Walsall (already relegated) was, therefore, one big party. A fantastic day, only spoiled by the Rovers winning away and therefore becoming champions.

It was indeed a last minute goal - scored ironically by a man called Taylor (poss Scott) - that secured our promotion.

Saturday was a blazing hot may afternoon with AG in full voice.

Rennie scored a delightful chip from what seemed like 30 yards.

Pitch invasions galore - ridiculous rumours of the gas losing at one long party.

I also fell off the top of the old dugout when Jordan appeared in the directors box to pop open a bottle of champagne and my god did that bloody hurt!!!!

Wasn't ex-Gas keeper Ron Green in goal for Walsall that day? And I seem to remember one Junior Bent making his debut in that game too. And a few City fans congregated behind the EE goal jumping up and down and invading the pitch every 30 seconds as wild rumours flew around that Rovers were losing!

What a day!

Wasn't ex-Gas keeper Ron Green in goal for Walsall that day?  And I seem to remember one Junior Bent making his debut in that game too.  And a few City fans congregated behind the EE goal jumping up and down and invading the pitch every 30 seconds as wild rumours flew around that Rovers were losing!

What a day!

I remember Gary Shaw (ex Villa) playing for Walsall that day and being thumped by one of the pitch invaders. biggrin.gif

Come on Sippers, cheer up. Only a few thousand in South Bristol/North Somerset mourned.

Some of us were rather pleased. biggrin.gif

Ah yes Dr. .... But the joy of this was bigger and for more, as Bristol City have more fans.... everywhere wink.gif

'The Pirates entered season 2000-1 having sold both Cureton and Roberts and it looked like a difficult task to repeat their exploits of the previous season. Indeed that proved the case, with manager Ian Holloway taking the rap by being sacked, but Garry Roberts and Gary Penrice, who were installed as caretaker managers could not prevent the poor home record causing the Pirates to sink to relegation to Division Three. In the close season, it was decided that Gerry Francis would be the man to restore some swash-buckling football at Rovers'.

Source.... http://www.mehstg.com/bristolr.htm

razz.gif

Guest DrFaustus
Ah yes Dr.  .... But the joy of this was bigger and for more, as Bristol City have more fans.... everywhere wink.gif

'The Pirates entered season 2000-1 having sold both Cureton and Roberts and it looked like a difficult task to repeat their exploits of the previous season.  Indeed that proved the case, with manager Ian Holloway taking the rap by being sacked, but Garry Roberts and Gary Penrice, who were installed as caretaker managers could not prevent the poor home record causing the Pirates to sink to relegation to Division Three.  In the close season, it was decided that Gerry Francis would be the man to restore some swash-buckling football at Rovers'.

Source.... http://www.mehstg.com/bristolr.htm

razz.gif

Sod off mucker. biggrin.gif

There seemed to be a few fires at your grounds Dr F devil.gif

One man went to burn, marrigold.gif went to burn down Twerton.

One man marrigold.gif and his petrol can, went to burn down Twerton.

Two men went to burn marrigold.gifmarrigold.gif went to burn down Twerton.

Two men marrigold.gifmarrigold.gif one man marrigold.gif and his petrol can, went to burn down Twerton.

It was 4-1 or 4-0.  Think Marc Gavin scored a penalty.

I remember the crowd running onto the pitch twice and nearly causing the game to be abandoned.

Nibor

4-0, and the crowds on the very edge of the pitch-quality-wouldnt be allowed now innocent.gif Quality afternoon all round. biggrin.gif

It was fitting beating Walsall in that final game. Two years before we lost the play off final 4-0 at their place; they went up, came down again, lost to us and down to the 4th with them. As for the build up to that season's climax, I wrote at the time:

<It had long been obvious that City were going up, but Rovers had games in hand and could pip City to the divisional Championship. Rovers did keep on winning and so on May 2nd. the clubs clashed at Twerton Park and Rovers won 3-0! The following night City were mathematically assured of promotion when Notts. County conceded a late goal at Reading and the scorers name was Taylor! On the final day of the season, Rovers went to Blackpool and City hosted Walsall. Rovers triumphed 3-1 to lift the Championship and City made sure of second place by beating Walsall 4-0 to avenge that play off defeat of two years ago.>

The top three went up auto and City finished four points ahead of Notts Co and 11 points clear ahead of fourth placed Tranny.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything, but the title was not lost at Trumpton, but 11 days earlier away at Orient when a Robbie Turner goal was wrongly disallowed. The win (we drew 1-1) would have seen us take the title on goal difference crying.gif . We wuz robbed!

Guest DrFaustus
Not that I'm still bitter or anything, but the title was not lost at Trumpton, but 11 days earlier away at Orient when a Robbie Turner goal was wrongly disallowed.  The win (we drew 1-1) would have seen us take the title on goal difference  crying.gif .  We wuz robbed!

Ahem....the 3-0 at Twerton meant we had to lose at Blackpool, which we didn't. Does it really matter now, 15 years later? (Yes biggrin.gif )

DC, if yyou read this...I don't even try to dislike you sweetie. blink.gif

Archived