IGNORED

Lee Miller

SouthGlosRed

Bristol City will not let Miller leave on cheap

MARK WILSON April 05 2005

HEARTS have been warned by Bristol City that the asking price for Lee Miller will not be reduced.

The 21-year-old striker, on loan at Tynecastle until the end of the season from the English club, took his tally to eight goals in 14 starts by scoring against Celtic in Saturday's 2-0 win at Parkhead. John Robertson, the Hearts head coach, said afterwards that they would be seeking agreement on a permanent transfer this week.

That will require a substantial increase in the £175,000 bid Hearts had rejected last week, as City are understood to be looking for at least £250,000 up front with additional fees based on appearances and goals. The Ashton Gate side signed Miller in a £325,000 transfer from Falkirk in July 2003 and are confident of reaching their price with two English clubs having also expressed an interest.

Hearts could have completed a deal for £150,000 in January but the player's form since has seen the valuation soar.

"We made our valuation clear at a very early stage and, as yet, Hearts have not been prepared to meet it," said Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown.

"People questioned why we paid £325,000 for him but there is a lot of potential there and he has begun to fulfil it. If they do not meet the asking price, he will return to us a better and more experienced player.

"His form is also attracting the interest of other clubs, so it may not come down to just one bid.

Miller has already achieved the same goals total for Hearts that he reached in 34 league starts for City. Their manager, Brian Tinnion, is keen for the player to be sold to allow him to invest in defenders this summer.

Meanwhile, Paul Hartley hopes the win over Celtic will be enough to secure Robertson's job beyond the summer.

A question mark was raised over Robertson's future on Friday when new chief executive Phil Anderton admitted his position would be reviewed in the summer and there were no guarantees he would still be head coach for the new campaign.

Guest JamboScott!

Absolutely shocking. You's would've took 150,000 in January he bangs in a few goals and you's expect 250,000 with additional fees. Your club are a joke as is ours for not meeting your price. I won't be buying a season ticket next year unless I see Miller in a Hearts top for good.

Too bloody right we should expect a good return, this may not be what the Hearts fans or Whitey want to hear obviously, but business is business.

I just want to say Screech that I do not blame City for wanting a good return on Lee when they sell him, and as you say too bloody right!!! But the thing I worry about is if City get greedy, and hold Hearts to ransom. If they can get 200k up front with add ons which will take the overall transfer back up to the money they forked out for Lee then I think they should accept it. Holding out for a big intial payment might kill any transfer between the clubs.

In all honesty, I and from my knowledge Lee himself, would like to see City get as much money as possible as long as it allows Lee to move to Hearts. In saying that I don't want it to sound like Lee wouldnt want to come back here, because he loved his life down here, but City cant and wont guarentee him first team football, Hearts will. If City promised Lee to be the main striker next season, he wouldnt mind where he ended up next season. But I know many of you will understand its nothing against City as a club, its just Lee wants to play football, like he is just now.

Absolutely shocking. You's would've took 150,000 in January he bangs in a few goals and you's expect 250,000 with additional fees. Your club are a joke as is ours for not meeting your price. I won't be buying a season ticket next year unless I see Miller in a Hearts top for good.

Please fell free to let you's own board know you won't buy a season ticket unless he signs for you as the more pressure that gets put on them to blow the cobwebs out of the wallett the better for us.

As for the increase in price i'm afraid thats just market forces - he's done well and shown the potential most of us could see he has so naturaly the price has gone up.

If you want him that bad you'll pay it. If not he comes back here or goes to someone who will pay it simple as. Remember before we bought him a number of big clubs were taking look.

Some of those may now be convinced that he is good enough and start to make their interest serious again.

Archived