IGNORED

End Of Season Report......

Franklin CITY

Did it not occur to you that after 4 years Wilson had had his chance at City?.4 years in which to build his own team that even then was not good enough to get promoted.

Wilson's team had to be broken up and had he stayed Wilson would have re-built the same as Tinnion has to.

You talk about Tinnion's inexperience - well Wilson had plenty of experience but couldn't deliver after 4 years.And people are slagging off Tinnion when his first season is not even over.Tinnion won't get 4 years if he doesn't get City up this or next season.

An experienced manager cannot guarantee promotion any more than a rookie manager can but you can guarantee that an experienced manager will significantly increase the wage bill.

Interesting you say last season's team team only needed "a minor tweak" to gain promotion.

This is EXACTLY the phrase used by DW himself in one of his first interviews after taking over.

Four seasons later he'd failed to apply that "tweak" effectively, 'nuff said.

Did it not occur to you that after 4 years Wilson had had his chance at City?.4 years in which to build his own team that even then was not good enough to get promoted.

Yes,could well be that DW had finally reached the end of his tenure. But he DID get us further each season.And left us with a decent squad.That maybe needed some fresh EXPERIENCE to take it that step further.NOT a guy who had been around for 10 years & wasn't exactly Mr Popular with key members of the squad.

Wilson's team had to be broken up and had he stayed Wilson would have re-built the same as Tinnion has to.

Don't understand this  disapointed2se.gif  Why did have to be broken up? A little tweak & the squad would have gone that extra mile? How do YOU know that DW would have had to rebuild? Just an excuse to justify what BT has done?

You talk about Tinnion's inexperience - well Wilson had plenty of experience but couldn't deliver after 4 years.And people are slagging off Tinnion when his first season is not even over.Tinnion won't get 4 years if he doesn't get City up this or next season.

Agree not yet over.But what I can't seem to understand with this type of answer,is that DW had to sort out the Pulis era.Then over the next few years took the squad forward.BT/SL reckoned that they could take us that extra mile & BT inherited a top 3 team.Told us that what we needed was goals.Promised us the attacking 'bums off seats footy'.

Credit to BT he got Heff & played Lita.But are we any better than we were under DW last season - NO. When we really should have been moving on from the top 3 finish.If BT had taken on TP's team,then yes he should be afforded time to get things sorted.

An experienced manager cannot guarantee promotion any more than a rookie manager can but you can guarantee that an experienced manager will significantly increase the wage bill.

Can't understand the logic here? Are you saying that by bringing in an experienced manager,to take on a decent squad would have a huge increase in wages? I bet there are a few managers out there that would love to have taken on the squad DW left.And the one BT had at the beginning of the season.And all this with £400k + to spend.

Yes no guarantee of success,but surely the odds were more favourable?

give tinnion a break. no matter what he has done this

season everybody has got on his back.

he had to break the team up from last years playoff

flop.he had to get his own players in .

this is a bonus for us as we are close to getting into

the playoffs.for a rookie manager he has done well for

his first season.

brian tinnion WILL get it right and if we go back to

come forward then so be it.

brian has learnt alot this season and all bodes for next

season where he will just be the manager and not as

player/manager.i hope he keeps his players registartion

as we may need him when injuries come in.

well done brian

Interesting you say last season's team team only needed "a minor tweak" to gain promotion.

This is EXACTLY the phrase used by DW himself in one of his first interviews after taking over.

Four seasons later he'd failed to apply that "tweak" effectively, 'nuff said.

And was it not BT who said that all this squad needs is to get more goals?

And was it not BT who said that he would get 'bums off seats' - with exciting attacking football?

Well,if he delivers over the next few weeks,then that portion of humble pie will be eaten.

But why is it that the reason's given are not reflecting on what was said pre-season.

Is no one taking the blame for not getting into play-offs (humble pie quote !)

it is just like the politican. they will promise you

everything to get elected.same as a football club.

it is down to the supporter to believe it or not.

there are so many obsticicals over the season that

can change things.

i like to hear how the team and manager will go for

promotion but it is down to us to believe it.

And was it not BT who said that he would get 'bums off seats' - with exciting attacking football?

Well,if he delivers over the next few weeks,then that portion of humble pie will be eaten.

But if the failure of not fulfilling pre-season promises is not forthcoming then I welcome the thoughts of SL & BT.

Yes BT did say those things and it's been an extremely disappointing season on the whole. Fair amount of goals though? dunno.gif

My point was that DW obviously didn't feel the job was hugely difficult when he came, and frankly we were all bored with him after his 4 years of nearly "tweaking" us effectively to promotion. And depressed beyond reason after the Millenium no-show. No reason there to expect success from him this year.

Personally, i was off my seat alot more than usual on Saturday and, painful though this season has been, am confident that will be more the norm next year.

I think that everyone on here is angry that the performance at the millennium stadium last year was not good enough and DW has to take the stick for that, But you cannot fault him for the job that he did, he had a team that actually played a passing attacking game, best defence out of all four divisions barring Arsenal, as you will tell all managers with any quality usually get the defence right first, he did that.

Turned Tommy D around and made him the player he was then, All managers make some mistakes, god forbid if we were all perfect.

But now we are tending to hoof the ball down the pitch to Brooker and on Saturday to Heffernan who didn't seem to have a clue, You can't blame DW for that, BT is the manager now and he has not improved the team, o.k you may say that he bought Leroy in to the team but who is to say the DW wasn't going to do the same this season and give him his head, after all Peacock was going.

At the end of the day we have BT and we have to make the best of a bad job.

..emh ..Ladies and Gentleman, pray silence for our Chairman Mr Stephen Lansdown who would like to make some comments about the season to date.

Over to you Mr Lansdown..................................................................

It will be as BT has said "Lets look forward to the future" sleeping.gif

What he won't say is that my appointment of a rookie Manager hasn't worked & I will now be judged on my decision.!!

praying smiley.gif

But why is it that the reason's given are not reflecting on what was said pre-season.

Is no one taking the blame for not getting into play-offs (humble pie quote !)

Why do people keep going on about what was said pre - season ? What did you expect him to say "I'm new to management so anything could happen" or maybe "I'll be happy if we finish mid-table" or "we'll have to play really dull football until I find the right combination" ????

Don't be so naive - anyone connected with the club has to give out positive vibes at the start of a new season - especially if they are new in the seat - all manager at all clubs would have said the same.

At the end of the day Tinman has done well for a first season in managemenet, re-built the team, and learn the job while putting up with a lot of pressure from all sides. Yes it's his job to do that but having survived a first seson I think there are some promising signs that things can get better next season.

Well, after this years balls up i have decided to to spend next season's Saturday's playing Football manager. At least that way i will be supporting a team in the Championship. smile.gif

Well, after this years balls up i have decided to to spend next season's Saturday's playing Football manager. At least that way i will be supporting a team in the Championship. smile.gif

I think that everyone on here is angry that the performance at the millennium stadium last year was not good enough and DW has to take the stick for that, But you cannot fault him for the job that he did, he had a team that actually played a passing attacking game

During his first three years, yes he took us forward and yes his team played nice passing football. I disagree though that last season's play off final is the only point where he came in for critisism.

For a large part of last season the football played was poor (winning run notwithstanding), - EDIT: indeed, even during the winning run! Wilson's tactics were negative and often incomprehensible - e.g. Burnell played alongside Doherty in the middle for about one third of the season. With the huge amount of money he was permitted to spend in the transfer market and the four years he was afforded, can anyone really claim he ultimately did a good job?

My point is not to defend the appointment of Tinnion but to answer the "why did we ever sack Wilson" line. In my view and that of many, many City fans, including SteveL apparently, he had failed.

Speak for yourself!

Sorry, Jimmy, i was speaking for me, my extended family, everyone i know, everyone i sit near at the Gate, everyone down the pub and everyone i've ever spoken with about City. It was the play-off final what done it, you see.

You are obviously one of the few that doesn't fit into any of those categories, so apologies if you felt i was speaking impertinantly on your behalf. wink.gif

Sorry, Jimmy, i was speaking for me, my extended family, everyone i know, everyone i sit near at the Gate, everyone down the pub and everyone i've ever spoken with about City. It was the play-off final what done it, you see.

Everyone you know are, not only City fans, but were also 'bored' of Danny Wilson?

Blimey mate - maybe you should make more friends or perhaps stop being such an influence on others lives! laugh.gif

I thought DW left as he was part of an expensive set up that the club could no longer afford?

DW said recently that he had great people working with him, Barlow and Brian Jones the Phsycologist (sp?). Is he working with them now, I don't think so?

In that case how well is he doing without them? Was there an option for them to leave and him to stay? Did he think he might struggle without them or was he loyal to them?

DW seemed a nice bloke, but I always got the feeling we were just another club to him?

Archived