IGNORED

Jamie Smith - Worth Keeping?

brady bunch

I am a Tinman supporter, BUT I have to question keeping Jamie Smith on.

He cost us points and games in the early part of the season (which we never recovered from), with his mad dog challenges, he has replaced Matt Hill in giving away stupid penualties. He is also not an outstanding defender.

Apart from the odd occision/goal he does not offer much going forward either.

He works hard and is committed, but you could give his shirt to a supporter and get that for free. What we need for the type of cash he will be earning is a far better, more controlled player.

I am a Tinman supporter, BUT I have to question keeping Jamie Smith on.

He cost us points and games in the early part of the season (which we never recovered from), with his mad dog challenges, he has replaced Matt Hill in giving away stupid penualties. He is also not an outstanding defender.

Apart from the odd occision/goal he does not offer much going forward either.

He works hard and is committed, but you could give his shirt to a supporter and get that for free. What we need for the type of cash he will be earning is a far better, more controlled player.

i am in total agreement, Smith has been a real let down his captaincy as someone has stated is better suited to a library. How we can let TD go and keep JS is totally unbelieveable.

I think its harsh to claim it as "tinnions mate"....yes, Smith was a Tinnion signing so he has the right to decide he wants to keep him if he thinks he is good enough and can offer something to the squad. Tinnions "mate" was mickey bell who he has hads the balls to release as he knows he cannot offer what is required.

Granted, Smith did not have the greatest of starts....but I have seen enough from him over the last few months to believe he has got better and can offer himself as a steady, tough tackling defender, who has years of championship experience which can be relayed to a very youthful squad

I do question the logic of the management at BCFC, why keep Smith and get rid of the quality of Kevin Ammankwa (excuse spelling) who is playing out of his skin at Yeovil and is only in his early 20's.

dunno.gif

I would think it was becuase Smith always chooses a boot with a good stud over ice-skates.

Amankwaah spends half his time confusing himself and the rest confusing his team-mates with his "crazy legs crane" impersonations.

This season will prove Bambikaah isn't up to the job at this level. Smith, I believe, has the attitude and the technical ability to prove this seaon he is.

I find it quite amusing that the person who must have gone in to Tin's office and shown complete and utter determination to get us where we want to be is not being given a slightly longer chance to show what he is capable of.

Meanwhile everybody is up in arms about our previous captain leaving who obviously did not show any desire and spends half his life on either the treatment table or nearly throwing up after 60 minutes play on the pitch.

I am not a Smith fan and would rather his contract wasn't renewed. IMO Carey is a far better right back. Some of the arguments for him staying such as experience and commitment seem to be valid so will go along with them for the time being. I only hope that his contract is on reduced terms from when he originally signed.

I am in two minds about Smith. Someone came up with the interesting stat that of the 11 games he didn't play last season, we won 9 and drew 2 .. hardly a ringing endorsment of his place in the side.

But he did settle down after a fairly psychotic start and in an otherwise very young team his positive influence in the dressing room and on the training pitch obviously counts for a lot. Tins has talked about having two players for every postion next season - presumably that's Carey and Smith at right back, with Orr avalaible to fill in at a pinch. If Smith was released, then we'd have to replace him, and with limited resources, and other postions in more need of strengthening, it looks like the need to retain one or two experienced heads at the club has won through.

I agree with Dave L, I am also in two minds about JS although I think next season will be make or break for him, I like to have a defence with some "bite" in it and Smith certainly can give us that. He scored a couple of times as well (more than previous right backs!)

Guest we8thegas
Does seem that if you're a 'mate' of Tins then you get to stay on. Why not sell Murray?! He has been a waste of space this whole season in my opinion. Surely it's a good idea to keep our internationals?!

i reckon we should shave murray's head to see if that gets an extra half yard on defenders,bit more streamlined whistling.gif

Reasons for giving smith a deal

#1 He's not Bradley Orr

#2 We do actually need cover for Carey when the new center back(s) come in. Kev at Yeovil, Coles still on the list and please refer to point #1

With a full pre season behind him he'll do ok.

Has to be one year though.

Can't help myself, I'm afraid - I'm a fan of Smith.

If we are going to challenge next year, we need experienced defenders who can bring on the likes of Golbourne and Fortune. Smith has played at a higher level (and for longer that Louis and Scotty did!) and, if the wages are right, will be a solid addition to the squad which is likely to be bereft of experience in the form of Mickey Bell and more than likely, Tommy Doc.

I understand the cover at right back explanation but I don't rate Smith as a player.He's mediocre at best and very limited to where he can actually play.He's too short to be a center back and not versatile or quick enough to be a consistant wing back.

There must a decent right back coming through' the academy or somewhere on a free.

I'm not impressed with this deal.

"There must a decent right back coming through' the academy or somewhere on a free."

We tried that last year and ended up with Jamie Smith. The academy lad Griff (Jones?)who's in the welsh youth setup plays right back and could be the future. Bringing in a new experienced right back on a long term deal might jeapordise his development.

Smith I think is more likely to accept a one year deal than a new player who'll have to move etc

"There must a decent right back coming through' the academy or somewhere on a free."

We tried that last year and ended up with Jamie Smith. The academy lad Griff (Jones?)who's in the welsh youth setup plays right back and could be the future. Bringing in a new experienced right back on a long term deal might jeapordise his development.

Smith I think is more likely to accept a one year deal than a new player who'll have to move etc

Mmmmmm.....

He will sign on a 1 year deal if he does. He will have to reduce his wages if he does.

Carlos Edwards at wrexham would have been an interesting signing in my opinion

I guess I can't be too upset with Smith coming back as I was really worried Bell would be back.

I hope if he does come back it is on a short term deal month to month would be the best. Or on a large reduction in wages.

I'd rather he didn't come back though.

Yep, Smith = solid, reliable, competent, and tested.

Smith does not = tall, good in the air for set pieces, able to get to the by-line, or able to deliver a dangerous cross.

Sum of the above = good competitive cover for RB, but not a progressive move. Not a genuine set choice for 1st XI, and therefore not a candidate for skipper next season.

Judgement on decision = Agree on 12 more months, provided it is on less money than this year (no one can claim he will be better/more valuable next season than this one).

tinnion has made the right decision if you ask me. hes quality and commitment is good. chant6ez.gif

Tins has made the decision to keep Smith so debate is pointless. I thought that Carey with Orr as back up was enough cover, and we would save wages by moving Smith out. Tins obviously has his reasons for the extra 100k+ a season for Smith.....?

Agreed. Give Jamie a year contract as a cover player.

Debate over ??

I think the decision was marginal, and went in Smiths favor based on his attitude. Debate over, well probably so if Tins has offered the contract. We mere forum people can merely if/but/ and maybe to no end.

Archived