IGNORED

Nelson

Northern Red

Guest Tactical Genius

Once more with feeling.

Nelson's career is on the up. Why the hell would he want to join an obscure third division club like Bristol City when we couldn't even afford the transfer fee or his wages or give him the level of football that he is heading towards.

Once more with feeling.

Nelson's career is on the up. Why the hell would he want to join an obscure third division club like Bristol City when we couldn't even afford the transfer fee or his wages or give him the level of football that he is heading towards.

No idea - maybe cos of the positive attitude of the fans ?

I have from a decent source heard that Marcus Stewart has signed a 2 year contract and will be announced in 3 weeks when he gets back from his holiday.

nelson is quailty and it would depend on if hartlepool go up or not

weather we could tempt him to ashton gate, but he would be a great

signing and just what we need at the back.

ive seen him afew times,most recently vs bournemouth, nothing special,certainly not worth breaking bank for when theres plenty of quality free players

mabe, but he is a first ball header winner and not meant to look special just

head that ball away and hit your opponent hard and stand there like a brick wall, at set pieces we miss that badly and

unfortunately fortune can not do this that well smile.gif

Size isn't everthing    whistling.gif  whistling.gif  whistling.gif  whistling.gif  whistling.gif  whistling.gif

5' 11" is small for a centre half, but he jumps very high and is a strong guy as well. Look at Matt Hill, he's only about 5' 7" and he jumped higher than a load of forwards, well he still does.

Absolutely. Matt Hill was only four foot tall but could out-jump a lot of taller strikers. Steve Brooker isnt the tallest, but seems to win a lot of headers.

And look at Yoda - judge him by his size do you ? Hmmm ?

Absolutely.  Matt Hill was only four foot tall but could out-jump a lot of taller strikers.  Steve Brooker isnt the tallest, but seems to win a lot of headers.

And look at Yoda - judge him by his size do you ?  Hmmm ?

same with Peacock, he aint the tallest, i think he's 5' 10". I think the Sheff Wednesday web site says he's 6' 2" which is crap as he's the same as me. When he wernt in Edwards, he could put himself about.

Same for Tommy Doherty, Joe Burnell. It's just that these players are not "commanding" which is what we need at the back. Nelson is a good suggestion but i cant see him coming to us, it aint as simple as that.

Based on what I've seen tonight, I think we should break the bank to get him. He's exactly what we're looking for. Big, strong, not afraid to get stuck in.

Obviously if Hartelpool go up, then we've no chance, but if at all possible, we should definately go for him.

What part of "we haven't got any money and we won't pay a fee for any player" don't you understand?

The only way we'll pay fees is if LL leaves for £1m plus.

Nelson's under contract for another year, Hartlepool(Ye Gods)may well be in a higher Division next year, but they'll still have to sell him IF he's not prepared to sign another contract next year, because, if they don't, he'll be 24 and can walk on a Bosman......same as us with Coles & Doherty!

Nelson is class but would cost in the region of 200k and we have to ask ourselves is Nelson a 200k better player than Heywood. I know we all want the best players but I think in Nelson's case he will be setting his sights a little higher and aiming to join a Championship club that is ofcourse if Hartlepool don't make it up through the play-offs

HE'S ONLY 5'11''. I THOUGHT WE WANTED A TOWERING CENTRE HALF?

not always about size, look at fortune 6ft odd and still out foxed

by the 5ft nothing strikers, it is also about reading the game and

getting your head in first as we have given a way too many free headers

where there has been no defender challenging the striker for the ball.

also crosses that are whipped in we are seeing phillips come out and

punch the ball where he really does not need to as it should be bread

and butter to any decent center half, we need a experienced center half

to organise the back four.

no matter who it is we do need someone at center half wink.gif

Now do not laugh when I say this, but I would love to see us sign somebody like Ben Chorley, currently with the MK Dons.

He has been very much their unsung hero over the last couple of months. I have watched him half a dozen times and he is totally committed, and is a very active captain. You hear him ordering about and geeing up his players all the time. Chorley more than Wilson has got their back line organised with worse players than us. A typical game was Luton (were, yes he got an own gaol!!), but the Dons were outplayed and lost 1-0. We were outplayed and lost 5-0. Other than us, I cannot remember the last time they conceeded more than one.

Now, make no mistake, he is a div 1 player, and is never going to make it big time. He reminds me a lot of Taylor. He is the sort of player we could afford (he is out of contract) and, if not him, is at least the type of player we need with some experience at the back. Nothing flash, just somebody you can rely on to ensure the back line is committed, plays as a unit, and conceeds no more than one goal, nine times out of ten.

And then our front line will get all the glory for taking us up!

Name some that come into the catagory of a young tough tackling good heading center back with leadership qualities.

Watford Captain Shaun Dyche, I believe, has been given a free transfer. And after a succesful doh.gif stint here previously, may fancy coming back to play for one of his old team mates. blink.gif

i reckon ian evatt is a better option and in my opinion a better player. surely we would have more chance of getting him to sign for us that nelson

God, this is getting repetitive.

Evatt is under contract to Chesterfield until 2007, Nelson is under contract to Hartlepool until 2006, according to our chairman we have NO money available for transfer fees, and so won't be spending any money this summer, these players would cost transfer fees, so aren't coming to us.

Heywood is OUT OF CONTRACT so is available for free, so is a very likely signing.

Everyone understand now?

Cue post in the next day or so "why don't we move in for Nelson, Evatt" etc?

Sipowicz has a good point though.

Why mention Nelson when he's contracted and you're getting Matthew Heywood (it would appear)? It's silly 'he-played-well-on-Skysports----I-saw-it-so-lets-sign-him-up' talk!

Evatt... Nope.

And don't get me started when people suggest old timers after their release from contract (Sherwood).

Be realistic... Or wait till you sell Lita.

Archived