IGNORED

Bristol City

wookey

"Bristol City Football Club, not so much a sleeping giant as a comatose one." city.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

Too much zzzzziderrr has comatosed our club and dampened the appetite for success of its supporters. Any more conspiracy theories to explain the current plight of BCFC? farmer.gif

"Bristol City Football Club, not so much a sleeping giant as a comatose one."

Any more conspiracy theories to explain the current plight of BCFC?

When have BCFC ever been a giant? dunno.gif

As for "this currant plight".City have been in existance since 1897.108 years and apart from those halcyon days of the mid seventies have spent all thier time outside of the top flight.This is nothing new.

Sleeping giants are clubs like Sheffield Wednesday who get huge crowds no matter what division ther're in.Manchester City were the same when they were in the lower leagues a few season ago as were Aston Villa.

Guest WillsbridgeRed
When have BCFC ever been a giant?  dunno.gif

As for "this currant plight".City have been in existance since 1897.108 years and apart from those halcyon days of the mid seventies have spent all thier time outside of the top flight.This is nothing new.

Sleeping giants are clubs like Sheffield Wednesday who get huge crowds no matter what division ther're in.Manchester City were the same when they were in the lower leagues a few season ago as were Aston Villa.

I love you Robbored, your ability to accept mediocraty with a resigned shrug should be commended.

We may not be a 'sleeping giant' but it would help to get a few things right when making the argument. If you ignore the mid seventies it's about 85 years outside the top flight rather than 108, in the first decade of the 1900's we were one of the countries top clubs finishing runners up in the league and reaching an FA cup final.

As for these teams maintaining a huge support outside of the top flight, I'm sure that any clubs support would dwindle with decades of non-success rather than 3-4 seasons as per the clubs you mention above. Aston Villa have only ever spent one season outside the top flight since 1975!!!

We may not be a 'sleeping giant' but it would help to get a few things right when making the argument. If you ignore the mid seventies it's about 85 years outside the top flight rather than 108, in the first decade of the 1900's we were one of the countries top clubs finishing runners up in the league and reaching an FA cup final.

85 out of 108!

and you're point is?... dunno.gif

All the sleeping giants/larger clubs (Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Cardiff City, Derby County, Preston North End, Hull City, Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, etc) have all escaped from this poor division or lower and are gradually rising up the league again and if we ever get promoted to the championship or whatever it will be called by then we would probably be around about the 20th largest club in the division.

Yes there are still overachieving clubs in the division (Brighton & Hove Albion, Gillingham, Luton Town, etc) but not as many as there used to be and so it may be even harder to stay in the division than it would have been a few seasons ago because the larger clubs (of which there many larger than us) usually have more resources than the smaller ones.

My real point of this post is when are we going to sort our act out and follow the larger clubs out of this **** division.

BCAGFC

In our hearts and minds?

Well mine, if not anyone elses..... but I know there are others.

We are only classed as a BIG club in this division by other teams and fans in this division. Now Forest are in the same division as us they will be the BIG club the sleeping giant.

We are a big club in the fact that Bristol is a big city with a population of 500k + so the potential of a big fanbase is great.

Bristol City will NEVER be big because the residents od Bristol are too "apathetic" and "Passionless".

Bristol is is not a big football town unfortunately. The point about Wigan, well if Steve Lansdown had Dave Whelan's pockets then City could buy their way to promotion as finances wouldn't be a problem.

I don't believe for one second that there is no passion in Bristol. Stick yer Chelski , Man Ure and Liverpools, this is the club we love.

Wherever we go away the people always say what a great set of loyal, passionate fans we are and that we deserve better.

Look at the finals we have been in over the years. At Wembley in aws v Stoke the attendance was larger than the Chelsea fa cup final of the same year!

People of the west country are just short of a decent standard of football to watch at the moment, but certainly not passion!

"People of the west country are just short of a decent standard of football to watch at the moment, but certainly not passion!"

I agree with that, It's the amount of money you invest, not the potential support that governs your position in the english leagues.

I don't believe for one second that there is no passion in Bristol. Stick yer Chelski , Man Ure and Liverpools, this is the club we love.

Wherever we go away the people always say what a great set of loyal, passionate fans we are and that we deserve better.

Look at the finals we have been in over the years. At Wembley in aws v Stoke the attendance was larger than the Chelsea fa cup final of the same year!

People of the west country are just short of a decent standard of football to watch at the moment, but certainly not passion!

So well put Trowbridge.

Unlike the majority of Cider Reds, I'm not a Bristolian, or even from the West. I live in Manure Fans country laugh.gif so I get to have a slightly different perspective. The Bristolian clubs are underacheivers, bloody perrenial underacheivers, other fans cannot understand how City in particular aint playing at a higher level.

since our brief spell in the top flight, I reckon City have been failed by loser managers, those who plod along talking a good game to those clubs who are in trouble or underacheive, and on the odd occasion a manager who does well for us and who subsequently move on up, leaving us in the lurch.

We've NEVER since those heady days at the top had a really GOOD manager with a proven track record. Thats our biggest mistake. Joe Jordans first tenure was the only really bright spell since.and he dumped us for Hearts...

We live in optimistic hope though, and at least we aint the Gas-now THEY have had some really k a c k managers over the years.............

Archived