IGNORED

Promising Bristolians

Pie Eater

This tommy situation just made me think back to the other Bristolians who the fans thought would be the future of the club. The likes off Matt Hewitt, Jason Fowler etc.

Who in your opinion which Bristol born player was the biggest disappointment after making a favourable first impression.

Not sure if he was Bristolian or not but I can remember Ian Brown scoring against Manchester United in the 3-3 draw that was Rob Newman's testimonial. That was a pretty instant impact and made a favourable impression, I think most City fans had never heard of him before that game and nothing was ever heard of him after !!

I can still remember being in the East End and everyone singing "Ian Brown, Brown, Brown" to the tune of "Ian Wright, Wright, Wright".

Although he never really made an impression (bar one turn and shot away at Wycombe) it must be Marvin Brown for me.

Who? Oh, wait, I see what you mean....

I prefer his globe trotting brother who, after leaving us for better things, went on to ... where was it again?

Not sure if he was Bristolian or not but I can remember Ian Brown scoring against Manchester United in the 3-3 draw that was Rob Newman's testimonial. That was a pretty instant impact and made a favourable impression, I think most City fans had never heard of him before that game and nothing was ever heard of him after !!

Ian Brown was an aging non-league player bought from Chelmsford when Russell Osman had no money. Not exactly a young, up and coming Bristolian! biggrin.gif He was seen again, though. He had quite an amazing game against Liverpool (the first home game) where he ran rings around Bruce Grobbelaar but unfortunately couldn't score.

I second the nomination for Dwayne Plummer. No other player has had such an amazing fall from grace as him. How many clubs have sacked him now?

Ian Brown was an aging non-league player bought from Chelmsford when Russell Osman had no money. Not exactly a young, up and coming Bristolian!  biggrin.gif He was seen again, though. He had quite an amazing game against Liverpool (the first home game) where he ran rings around Bruce Grobbelaar but unfortunately couldn't score.

I second the nomination for Dwayne Plummer. No other player has had such an amazing fall from grace as him. How many clubs have sacked him now?

Talking of that 3-3 draw versus Utd, didn't he miss an chance to make it 4-3 late on, The great dane pulled off a stunning save though dunno.gif

I can still remember being in the East End and everyone singing "Ian Brown, Brown, Brown" to the tune of "Ian Wright, Wright, Wright".

Don't want to be picky but wasen't that Chris Garlands testimonial, Rob Newmans was against Aston Villa.

Dominic Barclay was a good prospect,i remember playing against him and Dwayne Plummer when they were playing for a team called The Saturday Club in the under 14's boys club league.He had a lot of skill and pace and was massive up to the rest of us.He had a brief spell in the early to mid 90's in the first team and was shipped off somewhere.not quite good enough but ran rings round me

He now turns out for the lebeq tavern on a sunday!  seriously!

Is it the Veterans? Cos apparantly they've been kicked out of the league.

The team I play for got promoted in the Regional Prem for next season, so I may very well be rubbing shoulders with the man himself.

Should be interesting.

Matt Bryant. Am i thinking of the right one? Used to skive off training with bad back, Arsenal apparently looked at him and was looking to make a bid, saw his medical record and said no as he had a bad back, when it was all a con. Dissappeared soon after..

I thought he was a pretty decent centre half and I remember him scoring a sreamer at home to Stoke.He left us and went to Gilligham and played for them regularly.

as the titles about bristolians, I'm shipping in with Simon Bryant. England u19 and a boozer. should have played for you! ;)

he was quality, but something went wrong and he's now in some local team, and his mate Lewis hogg. on standby for england u19 but just never made it. such a shame!

as the titles about bristolians, I'm shipping in with Simon Bryant. England u19 and a boozer. should have played for you! ;)

he was quality, but something went wrong and he's now in some local team, and his mate Lewis hogg. on standby for england u19 but just never made it. such a shame!

Think they're at Weston..

Could be wrong though..

This tommy situation just made me think back to the other Bristolians who the fans thought would be the future of the club. The likes off Matt Hewitt, Jason Fowler etc.

Who in your opinion which Bristol born player was the biggest disappointment after making a favourable first impression.

Marcus Stewart

Guest redphilc

Although he never really made an impression (bar one turn and shot away at Wycombe) it must be Marvin Brown for me.

That one hit the bar if I remember rightly?

I used to watch Marvin in the reserves and actually thought he was a far better player than Lita at the time. Mainly because he was aware of others around him and was able to play them into the game. Lita on the otherhand would get the ball and just head straight for goal. Everytime he shot he would smash the thing as hard as he could reagrdless of whether a simple tap in would suffice or not.

Marvin never had the selfish streak that Lita had.

On Lita -

I remember Hereford away (pre-season 5-0) when Rosenior was fouled and Lita picked the ball up to take the resulting penalty. I was shouting at him to let Liam take it but the greedy git took it himself (scored though).

The moral here is: - Selfish gits make it in football!

Ian Brown was an aging non-league player bought from Chelmsford when Russell Osman had no money. Not exactly a young, up and coming Bristolian! :D He was seen again, though. He had quite an amazing game against Liverpool (the first home game) where he ran rings around Bruce Grobbelaar but unfortunately couldn't score.

I remember Ian Brown scored against Wolves, just before the Liverpool games I think. Whatever happened to him?

Wasn't Andrew Jordan going to be the lynchpin of our central defence for many years, then it all went wrong?

On Lita -

I remember Hereford away (pre-season 5-0) when Rosenior was fouled and Lita picked the ball up to take the resulting penalty. I was shouting at him to let Liam take it but the greedy git took it himself (scored though).

The moral here is: - Selfish gits make it in football!

Ah, speaking of greedy gits, Liam Rosenior. :)

Did anyone ever seriously think Jason Fowler would be the future of the club? :dunno:

We've brought through a hell of a lot of youngsters over the past few years, which should be a source of pride. I have confidence that over time, the likes of Cotterill, Skuse and Brown will help form the core of a successful City team if we can keep hold of them. Perhaps we've relied too much on youth recently, and confidence has ebbed away when experience was needed, but in my opinion they all have the capacity to be players at least as good as, if not better than, Doherty. I loved Doherty, and he was the real reason we went up in our last promotion season, but he will never reach his full potential. I doubt he even wants to.

Archived