IGNORED

Best Oppostion Seen At The Gate

DANNY

Can't remember the specific match but John Salako ripped us apart one time at the gate, I think he was playing for Palace at the time and I just remember thinking he would play for England before long. A few years later he got his single cap so sort of proved me right englandsmile4wf.gif

Can't remember the specific match but John Salako ripped us apart one time at the gate, I think he was playing for Palace at the time and I just remember thinking he would play for England before long. A few years later he got his single cap so sort of proved me right  englandsmile4wf.gif

He did the buisness against us once whilst playing for Swansea I think (2 goals at The Gate) and has played well against us on other occasions.

I also remember Sheringham having a great game for Millwall against us. He didn't turn out too bad!

Can't remember the specific match but John Salako ripped us apart one time at the gate, I think he was playing for Palace at the time and I just remember thinking he would play for England before long. A few years later he got his single cap so sort of proved me right  englandsmile4wf.gif

Was that when he was on loan at Swansea back in 1989/90, the season we got promoted ? Think we lost 3-1 and he won the game single handed.

Best players i've seen at the gate both scored hat-tricks against us, Stan Collymore for Forest(1994?), and Teddy Sherringham for Millwall (in 91)

mickey bell scored his first ever city goal in that game...and hit the bar i remember it well  rolleyes.gif

He did indeed!!

1-1 if finished if I remember rightly?

Fowler and Macmanamanmananaman played as well, the east end was packed with scousers expecting a certain Paul Ince to make his debut after returning from Italy. Didn't happend though!!

He did indeed!!

1-1 if finished if I remember rightly?

Fowler and Macmanamanmananaman played as well, the east end was packed with scousers expecting a certain Paul Ince to make his debut after returning from Italy.  Didn't happend though!!

it was 1-1 i dunno how i remember any of that i was only 11 blink.gif

He did the buisness against us once whilst playing for Swansea I think (2 goals at The Gate) and has played well against us on other occasions.

I also remember Sheringham having a great game for Millwall against us.  He didn't turn out too bad!

If I remember correctly, Sheringham was about to make a big money move and received the 'What a waste of money' chants throughout the first half. Did he not come out and score 2/3 (all headers) in the second half....

Plus.... I thought the best player on the pitch that day was a certain Mick McCarthy who dominated in a classic Sweeper role. (Legs had gone by then).

As someone said earlier, Lennon ran the show when he came down

with Crewe.

David Ginola led us a merry dance when we played the Geordies in

the cup (5-0) and Colymore was certainly on fire when he hit that

hat-trick for Forrest. He shut us right up that day the *******.

I was at the Newcastle game (crowd shot with me in it is inside the front cover of the centenary book!!) wasn't that games Ginola's debut?

He was on loan to Swansea from Palace - who wanted to sell him for £200,000. Bargain! Palace saw his potential and the rest was history

Best player I've seen at "The Gate" - Trevor Brooking

If I remember correctly, Sheringham was about to make a big money move and received the 'What a waste of money' chants throughout the first half. Did he not come out and score 2/3 (all headers) in the second half....

We were winning 1-0 at H-T. He scored a second half hat trick all from corners (I think) in front of the open End. It was a memorable performance that has obviously stuck with me, as has Stan Collydoggin' whose blistering raw pace was frightening. Forests wore a slightly more tasteful version of our purple/green kit that day. I think we lost 1-4 that day too? God I remember some useless junk! biggrin.gif

We were winning 1-0 at H-T. He scored a second half hat trick all from corners (I think) in front of the open End. It was a memorable performance that has obviously stuck with me, as has Stan Collydoggin' whose blistering raw pace was frightening. Forests wore a slightly more tasteful version of our purple/green kit that day. I think we lost 1-4 that day too? God I remember some useless junk!  biggrin.gif

Thats got to be the same game where before completing his hat trick, he rounded Keith Welch, tapped the ball goalwards, wheeled away celebrating only for the ball to catch a divot and bobble past the post.......hillarious...then he banged in 3...not so funny biggrin.gif

Thats got to be the same game where before completing his hat trick, he rounded Keith Welch, tapped the ball goalwards, wheeled away celebrating only for the ball to catch a divot and bobble past the post.......hillarious...then he banged in 3...not so funny biggrin.gif

Hmm you have beaten me in remembering junk biggrin.gif

Talking of freak moments during games, anyone remember during the 1989/90 season a particular goal at the Open End? There was a huge punt (by whom, I don't know) that ordinarily would have sailed over the bar (probably over Ashton Park rolleyes.gif ). Just as the crowd groaned at the terrble ball a huge gust of wind almost stopped it mid air, it stayed in play where a striker (super Bob?) was on hand to knock it in! For some reason I seem to think it was against Bury, but that's only a hunch.

Hmm you have beaten me in remembering junk  biggrin.gif

Talking of freak moments during games, anyone remember during the 1989/90 season a particular goal at the Open End? There was a huge punt (by whom, I don't know) that ordinarily would have sailed over the bar (probably over Ashton Park  rolleyes.gif ). Just as the crowd groaned at the terrble ball a huge gust of wind almost stopped it mid air, it stayed in play where a striker (super Bob?) was on hand to knock it in! For some reason I seem to think it was against Bury, but that's only a hunch.

Nope, i insist you have bettered me with that little gem wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Trevor Brooking in one game agianst West Ham they went down to 10 men when Pat Holland broke his leg in the first half (1 sub then) we were 1-0 up. But in the 2nd half he played us on his own. They drew 1-1 and were unlucky not to win it.

Ardiles and Hoddle for Tottenham, how that team didn't win the league I'll never know, they were so far ahead of anything else at that time.

I also remember watching a guy play us on his own in this division and thinking we should buy him. That was Ae Akinbiyi.

I'm surprised no-ones nmentioned David Kelly, you're all probably trying to forget how well he always played against us every time he came here. mad.gif

Guest Sharpy50

Kieran Dyer was good at the gate for Ipswich, I remember Collymore scoring a hat trick for forest over the xmas period once. I also remember a Mr Marcus Stewart having a good game against us for the sags once where he and beadle scored the goals when they scraped a 2-0 win against us

Hmm you have beaten me in remembering junk  biggrin.gif

Talking of freak moments during games, anyone remember during the 1989/90 season a particular goal at the Open End? There was a huge punt (by whom, I don't know) that ordinarily would have sailed over the bar (probably over Ashton Park  rolleyes.gif ). Just as the crowd groaned at the terrble ball a huge gust of wind almost stopped it mid air, it stayed in play where a striker (super Bob?) was on hand to knock it in! For some reason I seem to think it was against Bury, but that's only a hunch.

The Bury game in 89/90 was my first City game. I would have been 9 and I went with my dad. I remember sitting in the Williams stand and being annoyed by a pillar. I didn't go again as a home fan for 6 years or so (was an Everton fan until I got the CityBug and went to an FA Cup game in 95 as an away fan).

Anyway the Bury game, as I recall Mark Gavin scored the only goal as City won 1-0.

edit: City stats shows that it was 20th January 1990 but doesn't give the goalscorer.

Guest Tactical Genius
Kieran Dyer was good at the gate for Ipswich

He gave one of the most anonymous performances ever seen. The Genius was looking forward to casting his eye for the first time upon someone who had ****il then) received a lot of good press but came away disappointed.

Guest Tactical Genius
Robbie Keane for wolves. P155ed all over our defence. (well it was watts and dyche probably)

Are you thinking of David Connolly? who scored at least 4. It was Shail btw, so no great surprise.

Guest Tactical Genius

The Top 3 for the TG have to be...

John Robertson, Forest left winger. Kenny Dalglish in his prime. Gary Shaw scored an effortless hat-trick, then popped in another 2 at Eastville in the Cup a couple of days later.

Archived