IGNORED

Best Oppostion Seen At The Gate

DANNY

richard wright.

although matt holland (while at ipswich) looked a good player during a pre-season friendly.

another player who impressed me during afriendly was steve stone last season. he had a decent game.

i remember the colchester game where city were booed off. everyone stayed behind to clap off lua-lua who seemed a bit confused by it all. but still, he was absolutely outstanding that night.

Guest uncle john

QUOTE(openEnd @ Jun 10 2005, 12:57 PM)

Hmm you have beaten me in remembering junk

Talking of freak moments during games, anyone remember during the 1989/90 season a particular goal at the Open End? There was a huge punt (by whom, I don't know) that ordinarily would have sailed over the bar (probably over Ashton Park ). Just as the crowd groaned at the terrble ball a huge gust of wind almost stopped it mid air, it stayed in play where a striker (super Bob?) was on hand to knock it in! For some reason I seem to think it was against Bury, but that's only a hunch.

THAT WAS BRISTOL CITY 2 LEYTON ORIENT 1. BOB TAYLOR SCORED BOTH GOALS. A HUGE PUNT UPFIELD HUNG IN THE AIR AND DROPPED RIGHT BELOW THE CROSSBAR, AND HE OUTJUMPED THE KEEPER TO NOD IT IN. WE WENT 2-0 UP BUT IN THE SECOND HALF LEYTON ORIENT SCORED EARLY (STEVE CASTLE) AND THEN HAD THE HUGE GALE FORCE WIND BEHIND THEM IN THE SECOND HALF, AND ABSOLUTELY BATTERED US. BUT WE HUNG ON FOR THE WIN. THAT EVENING I SNEAKED OUT OF THE JUNIOR REDS DISCO AND RAN ONTO THE PITCH ON MY OWN IN THE FREEZING COLD AND PITCH BLACK TO THE GOALMOUTH WHERE TAYLOR SCORED, WHICH WAS A COMPLETE MUDBATH. VERY EXCITING (FOR A 12 YEAR OLD).

The Bury game in 89/90 was my first City game. I would have been 9 and I went with my dad. I remember sitting in the Williams stand and being annoyed by a pillar. I didn't go again as a home fan for 6 years or so (was an Everton fan until I got the CityBug and went to an FA Cup game in 95 as an away fan).

Anyway the Bury game, as I recall Mark Gavin scored the only goal as City won 1-0.

edit: City stats shows that it was 20th January 1990 but doesn't give the goalscorer.

DAVE SMITH SCORED THE GOAL, RUNNING THROUGH AND ROUNDING THE KEEPER. THAT WAS THE GAME BEFORE WE BEAT CHELSEA IN THE 4TH ROUND OF THE CUP.

Eto'o was quality but they had a little chap look even better - who was he?? Leon Brittain was phenomenal. John Salako got clapped off the pitch if I remember rightly... Daniel Amokachi? What a goal. Matt Jansen looked good I thought.

QUOTE(openEnd @ Jun 10 2005, 12:57 PM)

THAT WAS BRISTOL CITY 2 LEYTON ORIENT 1. BOB TAYLOR SCORED BOTH GOALS. A HUGE PUNT UPFIELD HUNG IN THE AIR AND DROPPED RIGHT BELOW THE CROSSBAR, AND HE OUTJUMPED THE KEEPER TO NOD IT IN. WE WENT 2-0 UP BUT IN THE SECOND HALF LEYTON ORIENT SCORED EARLY (STEVE CASTLE) AND THEN HAD THE HUGE GALE FORCE WIND BEHIND THEM IN THE SECOND HALF, AND ABSOLUTELY BATTERED US. BUT WE HUNG ON FOR THE WIN. THAT EVENING I SNEAKED OUT OF THE JUNIOR REDS DISCO AND RAN ONTO THE PITCH ON MY OWN IN THE FREEZING COLD AND PITCH BLACK TO THE GOALMOUTH WHERE TAYLOR SCORED, WHICH WAS A COMPLETE MUDBATH. VERY EXCITING (FOR A 12 YEAR OLD).

Cheers, although my recollection of the opponents etc were sketchy, I vividly remember thinking after that goal, that this was going to be our year. As indeed was the case, was without doubt my favourite season, apart from the string of games at the end when we couldn't buy a win. Trumpton, Bolton away, Leyton Orient away and Huddersfield home, any of which would have probably secured the championship. Quite how we never won that title, still mystifies me. banghead.gif

couple of ears ago a guy by the name of Jamie DeFoe for Bournmouth ra rings around us. I coupleof days after the game i told a West Ham fan what a class player i had seen at AG. He rang me the day after Drfoe's debut and told me i was 100% correct i what i said. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest North Street

Tommy Hutchinson & Robbie James for Swansea in the mid eighties running the midfield with a combined age of 78 had City chasing shadows.

David Smith for Gillingham embarrassing City leaving me thinking "imagine what City would do with that extreme pace down the wing"..... biggrin.gif

Tommy Hutchinson & Robbie James for Swansea in the mid eighties running the midfield with  a combined age of 78 had City chasing shadows.

David Smith for Gillingham embarrassing City leaving me thinking "imagine what  City would do with that extreme pace down the wing"..... biggrin.gif

Gavin and Smith... ask Chelsea what we did with that pace down the wing? Obviously T&T helped....

Archived