IGNORED

Home Form Crucial.

Robbored

It was definately City's AG form that let them down last season and if City are to press for promotion next season then that will have to drastically improve.

It could wise to use different formations for home and away games.At AG with emphasis on attack and flooding the midfield he could play 3-5-2 which gives protection for the back three and support for the front two.With a loaded midfield City would have a less space between the midfield and the strikers which would help break down sides that come to AG with 9 men behind the ball.

Away 4-4-2 is a better option.Two banks of four is obviously harder to break down but also gives the wide men chance to break and create chances at the other end.

Professional footballers should be able to adapt to whatever formation they are asked to play and I don't buy that teams have to stick to the same formation game after game because its familiar.

Does anyone else think that its suprising that on a football forum such as this there are so few threads on tactics and formations? Maybe the average fans doesn't think very deeply about that part of the game... dunno.gif

Guest roejowland
It was definately City's AG form that let them down last season and if City are to press for promotion next season then that will have to drastically improve.

It could wise to use different formations for home and away games.At AG with emphasis on attack and flooding the midfield he could play 3-5-2 which gives protection for the back three and support for the front two.With a loaded midfield City would have a less space between the midfield and the strikers which would help break down sides that come to AG with 9 men behind the ball.

Away 4-4-2 is a better option.Two banks of four is obviously harder to break down but also gives the wide men chance to break and create chances at the other end.

Professional footballers should be able to adapt to whatever formation they are asked to play and I don't buy that teams have to stick to the same formation game after game because its familiar.

Does anyone else think that its suprising that on a football forum such as this there are so few threads on tactics and formations? Maybe the average fans doesn't think very deeply about that part of the game... dunno.gif

i don't think that changing tactics will help, but our home form does need to improve. it would help if people actually SUPPORT the team instead of critising them all of the time.

4-3-3 will work.

i don't think that changing tactics will help, but our home form does need to improve.  it would help if people actually SUPPORT the team instead of critising them all of the time.

4-3-3 will work.

The support was there from half past two against Torquay on the first day of the season.

The team were shockingly poor and apparently lacking in motivation on far too many occasions last season, especially at home. Several of the players mocked the fans with their apalling attitude. When they were eventually criticised they deserved it.

I get fed up with people knocking the fans, some of whom criticised the team at the end of matches, but all of whom paid their money and were raring to support a team seen to be showing desire.

I'm expecting a big improvement in the team's attitude next year, or even i might start showing disapproval.

Since the advent of 3 points for a win the real focus for any team should be attacking football both home and away.At the lowly level we operate away games should still be addressed in a positive way, therefore too much of a tactical change for away games really should not be necessary.

This probably is even more true today as we now have three strikers envied by every other club in our division.I really hope we can establish early on a level of confidence which will enable us to be very positive in the away games.

Just posted on another thread about how we could play and I believe that the most important part of it is the players lining up in the team and the flexibility we now have. I understand the importance of setting the team up correctly and getting the formation correct but I really do belive that now we have players that can interchange positions and totally overwhelm oppositions. Looking at the team, the majority of our central midfield players, bar Doherty and Orr, can also opperate on the wings and I hope to see them popping up from time to time.

Also we have some two footed players. The wingers will now be able to recieve from the middle on both sides. The Tinnion - Murray combination was awesome a few seasons back but I was surprised how long it took for teams to stop it, it was only because of the quality of the passing that it could happen. Now with Russell we have a player who can put it down either wing and hopefully as accurately as the Tinman once did.

Aswell as the midfield interchanging, in Carey and Goldbourne we have two full backs that can bring the ball up the field. We missed this when Carey wasn't there and it is something that Smith just doesn't bring.

There are some worries though that this flexibility may bring. They also need the discipline. If one player goes then another must cover him and this is where I see the formation coming in. I don't really think that it will be a case of each player knowing where he should be playing but which players he needs to cover, what space is important to protect and where he should be aiming to attack.

Archived