IGNORED

Jamie Smith

Wardie

Smith signing a one year extension is on the main site now!! It does seem a little odd that he's remaining as captain where, assuming we play 4-4-2 then the defence will line up as Golbourne-Heywood-Coles-Carey. Having said that Smith when he's on the pitch does really talk to the players around him and try to organise them all; this was most notable at the Bournemouth away game(sat near the front!) and he talked the younger players through the game. He'll be a good squad player at least although we do still need another versatile defender for cover I feel!

I have to admit I'm surprised he's signed a new deal. He could well be a non-playing captain as I'm sure Tinnion said that Carey was the first choice right back for next season. It's either that or BT has decided he's now going to play Carey in the centre of defence alongside one of Heywood or Coles or we could be going for a change of formation with a back 3 of Carey-Heywood-Coles and then Smith and Golbourne as wing-backs...

Perhaps the re-signing of Smith now means we won't be pursuing the signing of another centre-back as BT now views Carey as a centre-back...

So many options, so many questions...

Guest Champagne Football

To be honest, Smith adds experience to the squad and at this level he isn't a bad right back. Carey won't be an automatic choice, much like Lita and Murray will not be automatic choices. Smith has to prove that he is worthy of being a first eleven player and if he has some very good performances I think he will feature a lot next season.

Smith was "in" with Tins when Tins made Coles available for other clubs to make an offer. Coles may well be the last man selected.

The first choice could be Smith-Carey-Heywood-Golbourne. Many in this forum are assuming that its going to be Carey-Coles-Heywood-Golbourne, don't be surprised if Tins has Smith as the first man picked for the back four.

Tinnion obviously rates him he has been a good influence in the dresssing room by all accounts. He has calmed his temper down on the field since the start of last season. Not sure about his captaincy though as I didnt feel he was vocal enough. Guess that means that Brooker will remane as Vice Captain then.

I am glad Smith has signed

Hope he is Tinnions 1st choice right back because imo

Carey has to be the most over rated player at this club (apart from Phillips)

Good to see you're back into your anti Louis campaign. I was starting to think you'd developed a crush on him at the end of last season. wub.gif

Guest REDCIDERARMY

Not good news to me,gets booked to often carey is a lot better there hardly gets forward for the winger,if he is a good in the dressing rooms let him stay there,making him captain is a big mistake you need a player all the fans respect Doherty,coles, or even and my captain would be Stewart what better can you get Bristol City all the way and the others would have to follow by example and up there game.

Not good news to me,gets booked to often carey is a lot better there hardly gets forward for the winger,if he is a good in the dressing rooms let him stay there,making him captain is a big mistake you need a player all the fans respect Doherty,coles, or even and my captain would be Stewart what better can you get Bristol City all the way and the others would have to follow by example and up there game.

I agree that he has not been a great captain more so because of his lack of vocalness on the pitch. I disagree with the bookings as he calmed down alot after the sending off at chesterfield earlier in the season.

Unfortunately neither Doherty nor Coles have the full respect of all the fans.

Jamie Smith can perform the same role as Scott Murray did last year and be club captain, talk to the press and be the link between the management and the players. On the pitch though I don't see him getting a huge number of games and would prefer Carey to him.

Smith was "in" with Tins when Tins made Coles available for other clubs to make an offer. Coles may well be the last man selected.

The first choice could be Smith-Carey-Heywood-Golbourne. Many in this forum are assuming that its going to be Carey-Coles-Heywood-Golbourne, don't be surprised if Tins has Smith as the first man picked for the back four.

Tinnion has said that he thinks of Louis as a right back rather than a centre back so I don't think the selection of Coles has any bearing on which one of the two' ll play. Smith is a decent player but he did't play an awfull lot towards the end off last season and unless a drastic chamge occurs he won't get much more playing time then on the bench. I wouldn't have offered him a new contract but thats just me and i hope he proves idiots like me wrong city.gif

Tinnion has said that he thinks of Louis as a right back rather than a centre back so I don't think the selection of Coles has any bearing on which one of the two' ll play.  Smith is a decent player but he did't play an awfull lot towards the end off last season and unless a drastic chamge occurs he won't get much more playing time then on the bench. I wouldn't have offered him a new contract but thats just me and i hope he proves idiots like me wrong  city.gif

My original post was to suggest what Tins may have in mind, plus his positive rating of Smith last season.

My own personal thoughts are, i would not have given him a contract, as we have enough players at the back already. Possibly another center back , but considering the 6million+ debt i would have tried to keep the wage bill as tight as possible

How can you pick a player to be captain if he's not certain of a first team place and until a couple of days ago wasn't even certain to be at the club ?

I don't know what he does 'in the dressing room' but it must be pretty impressive !

Guest routabout
I am glad Smith has signed

Hope he is Tinnions 1st choice right back because imo

Carey has to be the most over rated player at this club (apart from Phillips)

Bravo! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. If Carey stayed back at right back, he'd be a better player. Unfortunately he fancies himself going forward and 90% of the time produces nothing more than an over hit, aimless punt upfield.

Smith makes a good captain in my opinion. Brooker is, in my opinion the best addition to this club in recent years. It remains to be seen whether Stewart will upstage him in this respect. As other have said in this and other threads the role of a captain is to lead and inspire. This does not require the respect of the fans, but of the players. Tommy D and Danny Coles have no respect from me and from what I gather not a lot from many others.

I wouldn't have Stewart as captain, mainly as I feel it more productive to allow him to concentrate on his own game. Carey as captain might be a reasonable choice, but he'd be a few places down the pecking order, in my books. At the end of the day, it's down to Tins and I think he's rightfully the best man to be making these decisions.

Just my £1.47's worth.

I really can't understand why anyone would think Smith is better than Carey.

A rightback should get forward and Smith is failing to do this. And from a defensive point of view there is no difference between Carey and Smith.

The only other difference is that Smith dives into challenges and gives away stupid free kicks.

Jamie Smith isn't worth his place in the team purely as a captain and if he's not a regular first team player, he shouldnt be made first team captain.

Archived