IGNORED

Does Nobody Care That Richard Whiteley Has Passed

Dollymarie

I wouldn't call him a legend but defninitely a great figure of TV.

Just found out he'd died reading the posts on here. I will definitely miss him and Countdown will not be the same without him, his huge personality and non-funny jokes! rofl2br.gif

God bless you Richard.

First I've heard of the news. Truly shocked he has passed away.

Ditto...

perhaps now my gramp can see him up there somewhere! He got me into countdown and together we used to fake laugh veciferously at Whiteley's dodgy puns..

RIP Richard

Genuine shock, last i'd heard he was booked in for a standard operation and would be returning to the show once he'd recovered. Thanks for the time wasting activities while a student and best wishes to his family. a true channel 4 legend

Guest east_dundry_red

Me and my flat mate gemma used to watch it on our thursday off. We Couldnt usually be arsed to do anything so used to cuddle up and watch countdown.

R.I.P

Presenter Richard Whiteley dies

Richard Whiteley presented Countdown for over 20 years

user posted image

Television presenter and journalist Richard Whiteley has died just days after undergoing heart surgery.

Whiteley, the host of Channel 4's daytime game show Countdown for 23 years, died in Leeds General Infirmary.

The 61-year-old, from Ilkley, West Yorkshire, fell ill with pneumonia last month, but had been said to be recovering slowly.

The agent for Whiteley's Countdown co-host, Carol Vorderman, said she was "absolutely devastated" by his death.

Dearly loved

John Miles said the pair were friends as well as colleagues who were very special to each other.

It is easy to underestimate his strength on screen - he never outstayed his welcome

Esther Rantzen

Obituary: Richard Whiteley

"He was such a good friend whom she loved dearly - they had 23 years of making programmes together, that's about 4,000 programmes," Mr Miles said.

Channel 4 has yet to decide whether to continue broadcasting pre-recorded episodes of Countdown with Whiteley as host.

A spokeswoman for the channel said they were "shocked and stunned" to hear of the death.

He leaves behind a partner of 11 years, actress Kathryn Apanowicz, who featured in Eastenders during the 1980s and Emmerdale Farm in the 1990s.

Incisive

Before presenting Countdown, Whiteley had been a familiar face on Yorkshire Television since the late 1960s.

Whiteley received an OBE last year

user posted image

As anchormhttp an on the channel's Calendar programme, he was subjected to an on-screen attack by a ferret, and was broadcast in negative - with white hair and a black face.

But he was also an incisive political reporter who had interviewed every prime minister since Harold Macmillan.

He was the first journalist to interview then prime minister, Margaret Thatcher, after the Brighton bombing in 1984.

Hugely missed

Esther Rantzen, who was one of several guest presenters on Countdown, described him as "one of those people who made you smile".

He did the programme so well on a friendly, human basis

Austin Mitchell MP

She said: "It is easy to underestimate his strength on screen - he never outstayed his welcome.

"They won't be able to replace him. He will be hugely missed."

Terry Wogan, a friend of Whiteley, said he was too upset to speak fully.

"I'm shocked. It's terrible news," the BBC Radio 2 presenter said.

Austin Mitchell MP, who knew Whiteley for 30 years, paid tribute to him as a man who "never put on airs and graces".

"If he fluffed and fumbled that was natural. If he told awful jokes people liked that. He did the programme so well on a friendly, human basis," he said.

Last November Whiteley was honoured with an OBE from the Queen, who is said to be a Countdown fan, as was the late Queen Mother.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4625119.stm

Guest MaloneFM

Spanner in the works time.

If he was such a legend and a loss to the world of entertainment blah de blah de blah.

Why have all the heartfelt tributes included the words 'Richard' 'Whiteley' and 'Countdown'? Is that what makes a legend? One teatime quiz show?

I only arsked.

If he was such a legend and a loss to the world of entertainment blah de blah de blah.

Why have all the heartfelt tributes included the words 'Richard' 'Whiteley' and 'Countdown'? Is that what makes a legend? One teatime quiz show?

I only arsked.

I don't think he's a legend, but let's face it, Countdown with Richard and Carol has lasted already 22 years longer than Channel 4 expected. The show didn't make him a legend, but he certainly played a part in making Countdown the popular gameshow it has been for the last two decades.

I also live an hour away from Ilkley where he lived, and a lot of people there saw him as a down-to-earth, unassuming friendly gentleman, which is just how he came across on TV: likable and genuine. It's not hard to see how people feel a sense of loss now he is no longer here.

I only arsked.

No, being a part of peoples lives for so long is what makes him a legend. He is known for countdown and I, as others, have memories of him which involve countdown.

That is why it is mentioned, he and the show are one and the same..

No, being a part of peoples lives for so long is what makes him a legend.  He is known for countdown and I, as others, have memories of him which involve countdown.

That is why it is mentioned, he and the show are one and the same..

yep, my nan passed away a year ago and she loved that program so with

him and countdown it reminds me of her.

the program was not fantastic but it took killed time while having your

tea with it on the tv at that time of the evening, and you just got used

to it being on in the background...

I only arsked.

I think what makes him the legend is that he was one of the first ever if not the first person on channel 4 and has been unbelievably loyal to Countdown for 20+ years, peaople of all ages recognise him instantly, from me being 20 to an 80 year old Gran.

He is Instantly recognisable to all people in this country from his name alone, so in my eyes classes him as a TV Great.

Guest Tactical Genius

PIR ? What the hell has Whitely's death got to do with movement sensors? Apart from the fact that he ain't going to be setting any off.

Guest Bub The Zombie
PIR ? What the hell has Whitely's death got to do with movement sensors? Apart from the fact that he ain't going to be setting any off.

how do you know that???? devil.gif

Guest we8thegas
That's better. Sick jokes.

Its what he would have wanted. No I want them more.

doctor walks into whiteley's ward,stands at the end of his bed,

picks up his chart and stares at it looking confused,

the nurse asks the doctor 'what's wrong doc?'

to which he replies 'there's something wrong,THESE FIGURE'S DON'T ADD UP! pinch.gif

getting my coat now ph34r.gif

Guest we8thegas
That's better. Sick jokes.

Its what he would have wanted. No I want them more.

apparently when his life support machine went off it went

do do

do do

do do do do

doooooooooo

pinch.gif going straight to hell for that one

Archived