IGNORED

200th Anniversary

The Batman

englandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gif i don't care about you anti PC people, this was the most important battle in British history before the Great Wars.

course, at this rate, there will not be a minute silence on the 11th November, or D-Day, or any other battle for that matter.

I don't care if it offends the French and the Spanish. The South African's still celebrate the Boer War in the late 1800's / early 1900's. Now by following the precedent set by the French and Spanish, then obviously they cannot celebrate that....

I think we should celebrate the bicentenary - not to glorify our colonial/imperialist past but because it was a great victory that, in a historical context, helped shape the Europe we know today.

If the Spanish and French are offended they are missing the point. It's got absolutely nothing to do with national superiority, and everything to do with remembering a military genius and his role in defeating the expansionist plans of Napoleon.

As for the Boer war - the South Africans are right to celebrate that too. It's part of their national heritage and identity.

Archived