IGNORED

Oh, The Wisdom Of Steve Coppell

greenun

Is this what the Reading boss really thinks about Leroy Lita?

From today's EP back page.

Coppell has also spoken about his intentions to strengthen his his squad ahead of a push for a Premier League place. He said: "We'd like more players, in an ideal world.

"It's a competitive market at the moment, there are a lot of clubs going for more or less the same people.

"We missed out on a couple of things and we move down the food chain if you like, see who else we can pick up, and I'm sure there's a couple more players to come in before the season starts".

What a cheeky so and so!

Guest Royal Ian

He has wanted Lita for ages but he also wanted Zamora and Helguson. One not available and the other gone to Fulham so now I presume he is focused on getting Lita?

Perhaps those comments will deter a player who reads them.

Do you think Lita will want to be seen as third or fourth choice? or described as 'down the food chain'

but then again, Coppell would 're-assure' him that he was misquoted of course.

Give us one more season Leroy, get your experience in, get us promoted,get your value (and signing on fee ) up and we'll all be happy.

ph34r.gif

Guest Royal Ian
if i was lita i would look at reading and see what they did to scott murray.

rofl2br.gif . we didn't do anything to Scott Murray! We signed him 1 or 2 years to late. He was 29 years old and trying to make the step up which he couldn't do, thankfully you singed him back off us. Same reason why no one has signed Trundle. He may be fancy dan in the lower leagues but no one will shell out £500,000 + on a 29 year old who has never played at Championship level before. (We still reckon we done by Pardew!! rofl2br.gif . spent over a million on those two, our whole budget then cleared off! )

Guest Royal Ian

Also we had planned to get the Zamora/ Helguson type of striker to add to Kitson, Doyle and Forster at the end of the season. Now that Forster decided to go we have got to get a replacement for him and a striker with pace so Lita is top of his list now.

It's not nice to read the food chain comments buts thats how football is if we are realistic! There is a pecking order.

How many times lately have we bought from a club in a higher league position than us? Marcus stewart. That's why there has been so much excitement about him apart from the Bristol connections. Other than that is been swindon players, Torquay, Port Vale. Before that Notts county...

I know we have also had players from Stoke, 'borough, WBA etc but they haven't been 1st team regulars or they have been on their way down because of age.

It's just the way the league works. When we are up there we can have the pick of the lower leagues and maybe some of the premiership players to. We really must get up and stay up if we don't want to become Reading or Prestons feeder teams. sad.gif

rofl2br.gif . we didn't do anything to Scott Murray! We signed him 1 or 2 years to late. He was 29 years old and trying to make the step up which he couldn't do, thankfully you singed him back off us. Same reason why no one has signed Trundle. He may be fancy dan in the lower leagues but no one will shell out £500,000 + on a 29 year old who has never played at Championship level before. (We still reckon we done by Pardew!!  rofl2br.gif . spent over a million on those two, our whole budget then cleared off! )

totally agree with you mate, Murray was really a one season wonder for us, and I was suprised when you took him.

Lita I feel will be different, still young, still learning and will always get goals

Guest Royal Ian

Exactly right. That's the difference. Lita is 20 still learning his trade and even if we signed him and he didn't have a good season i.e. Leon Knight last year. He has got age on his side and he will get better. Murray had to do it straight away as he had 1 possibly 2 seasons maximum with us where he would be a regular. Didn't happen with Scott but he gave his all and had some good games with us, the fans loved him and were gutted when he went but as usual the manager did know best.

Exactly right. That's the difference. Lita is 20 still learning his trade and even if we signed him and he didn't have a good season i.e. Leon Knight last year. He has got age on his side and he will get better. Murray had to do it straight away as he had 1 possibly 2 seasons maximum with us where he would be a regular. Didn't happen with Scott but he gave his all and had some good games with us, the fans loved him and were gutted when he went but as usual the manager did know best.

Whats so good about Reading i'd rather stay where i am if i was Lita least he could get into are 1st team not like Anysinah playing for Preston Reserves!

Guest Royal Ian

Lita would be a guaranteed starter with us don't worry about that. It would be him and Kitson. What's so good about us? well the major factor is we are a very good Championship club, with top facilities and ambition to get to the Premiership. The days of Tin Pot Reading at Elm Park are well ant truly over.

In terms of the size of club there isn't really a lot of difference but the fact remains while you remain a League 1 club you will struggle to keep hold of your better players. We had it for a few years when we were stuck in Division 2. We lost Linvoy Primus on a free to Portsmouth who at that time were no better than us but they were in Division 1. You desperately need t get promoted and I hope you do because I used to love the Reading v City games even though we rarely won any of them! laugh.gif

Guest Royal Ian
I liked those games too... the 3-3 at AG in 2002 was one of the best games I've ever witnessed!

Agreed it was incredible! We were 2-0 up and cruising after about 5 mins! laugh.gif We then gave you one back almost immediately and then you got a penalty for something which I still don't know what it was for!!!! Saying that Fozzy's wasn't a penalty either laugh.gif 2-2 Kevin Watson then currls a free kick in for 3-2 after about 15 mins! then you scored after about 50 mins or so! Really was a superb game. We won the game at the Madejski 3-2 that year so they are never dull biggrin.gif

Guest Royal Ian
When we were awarded that penalty it was a really huge "WTF" moment. Had a similar experience at Blackpool last season (although on that occasion poor old Mickey didn't produce the goods...).

I know what you mean! When the ref blew we started cheering becuase we thought we had a free kick!! laugh.gif I can laugh now but at the time I wasn't!!

If anyone claims that was a genuine penalty they're a bloody liar, which only made it funnier at the time biggrin.gif

Very impressed at the Reading support that day, we need more games like that. Hopefully next season ... and I'm not wishing relegation on you, you understand...

17 goals were produced over our last four games with Reading and all were memorable.

There was our 4-0 drubbing of them when they were top and we were still yet to win a home game!

There was the 3-1 at their place which is still one of my best ever away days!!

Then the close 2-3 defeat the following year and of course the 3-3.

Amazing stuff.

Guest Royal Ian
If anyone claims that was a genuine penalty they're a bloody liar, which only made it funnier at the time  biggrin.gif

Very impressed at the Reading support that day, we need more games like that. Hopefully next season ... and I'm not wishing relegation on you, you understand...

I know and we want to come back again bringing our 4000 Royals over. Just down the road for us and a bit of friendly banter laugh.gif Such a difference playing in this league and getting to go to some real nice grounds and big crowds home and away. Fantastic. Hopefully and finally it will be your year this time so you can join us. I hope so. smile.gif

Guest Royal Ian
17 goals were produced over our last four games with Reading and all were memorable.

There was our 4-0 drubbing of them when they were top and we were still yet to win a home game!

There was the 3-1 at their place which is still one of my best ever away days!!

Then the close 2-3 defeat the following year and of course the 3-3.

Amazing stuff.

Yep we were top and flying playing great football and all of a sudden getting absolutely whooped by your boys. Got into the ground at 2:55 after a mad rush and we got stuffed! Nice. laugh.gif Graeme Murty's only goal for us was in that game (3-1) and he's hardly missed a match since! laugh.gif

Yep we were top and flying playing great football and all of a sudden getting absolutely whooped by your boys. Got into the ground at 2:55 after a mad rush and we got stuffed! Nice. laugh.gif Graeme Murty's only goal for us was in that game (3-1) and he's hardly missed a match since! laugh.gif

You weren't whopped. We took our chances. I remeber one of your blokes hit the post at the start of the 2nd half. It that had of gone in you would have won but Matthews and Peacock took their chances very well.

Guest Royal Ian
You weren't whopped. We took our chances. I remeber one of your blokes hit the post at the start of the 2nd half. It that had of gone in you would have won but Matthews and Peacock took their chances very well.

Didn't a certain Scott Murray score?

Was a bit of a whooping considering the way we had been playing. Really enjoyed that season with Butler, Forster and a certain Mr Cureton we thrashed nearly everyone in that league and still didn't go up!

Didn't a certain Scott Murray score?

Was a bit of a whooping considering the way we had been playing. Really enjoyed that season with Butler, Forster and a certain Mr Cureton we thrashed nearly everyone in that league and still didn't go up!

Thorpe scored right on half time, then peacock and then matthews.

Guest Royal Ian
Thorpe scored right on half time, then peacock and then matthews.

I got mixed up. I was talking about we got whooped in the 4-0 and Murray scored. The 3-1 as you say you took your chances. blushing.gif My fault sorry.

Also we had planned to get the Zamora/ Helguson type of striker to add to Kitson, Doyle and Forster at the end  of the season. Now that Forster decided to go we have got to get a replacement for him and a striker with pace so Lita is top of his list now.

Have you got £1m+ for Lita? Becuss if he goes for less than that there will be alott of angry fans here in Bristol. Plus we would want a sell on clouse in the deal aswell as International appearances (England under-21).

If Coppell wants him it will have to be at a price that's good for us.

Guest Royal Ian
Have you got £1m+ for Lita? Becuss if he goes for less than that there will be alott of angry fans here in Bristol. Plus we would want a sell on clouse in the deal aswell as International appearances (England under-21).

If  Coppell wants him it will have to be at a price that's good for us.

Yes we have. It will be interesting to find out what they agree to as a fee. IF they agree a fee that is.

Guest marcclifton
rofl2br.gif . we didn't do anything to Scott Murray! We signed him 1 or 2 years to late. He was 29 years old and trying to make the step up which he couldn't do, thankfully you singed him back off us. Same reason why no one has signed Trundle. He may be fancy dan in the lower leagues but no one will shell out £500,000 + on a 29 year old who has never played at Championship level before. (We still reckon we done by Pardew!!  rofl2br.gif . spent over a million on those two, our whole budget then cleared off! )

Sorry is it just me, or did scott m use to play for villa.

Archived