IGNORED

Pre Season Friendly Matches

bobby

Just finished watching Wycombe against Chelsea in a pre season friendly and got me thinking about what we have to look forward to in terms of pre season games compared to previous seasons.

Well matches against Clevedon, Hereford, Exeter etc are ok (and rovers) but where's the premiership team (Southampton, West Brom previously) or the exciting foreign team (Spanish side - can't recall who but they were brilliant!).

Can't help thinking we are missing out this season sad.gif

I don't know how many foreign sides are touring Britain as part of thier pre-season training but I can't imagine its very many.In other words there aren't that many fixtures to go around.

Established Premiership clubs have thier pre-season booked often years in advance which is why lower league clubs like ours only get choice fixtures every so often unless of course a pre-season friendly is part of a player deal.

Yeh, we are missing out this and last season on a glamour club visiting AG but maybe mext season or the one after it'll be our "turn" again.

Guest Kustard
Just finished watching Wycombe against Chelsea in a pre season friendly and got me thinking about what we have to look forward to in terms of pre season games compared to previous seasons.

Well matches against Clevedon, Hereford, Exeter etc are ok (and rovers) but where's the premiership team (Southampton, West Brom previously) or the exciting foreign team (Spanish side - can't recall who but they were brilliant!). 

Can't help thinking we are missing out this season  sad.gif

I can't believe we don't have a home friendly this season. I used to look forward to the 2-3 home friendlies against prem opposition (or thereabouts). Okay we usually got thrashed, but sometimes we held our own and it was good competition and nice for the fans...

What is the reason for not having a home friendly...it can hardly be because of the reconstruction of the Wedlock Stand....!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the reason for not having a home friendly...it can hardly be because of the reconstruction of the Wedlock Stand....!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I guess that was actually the reason none were planned - shame because we we could have played some at AG given the delay!

Guest Kustard
Well I guess that was actually the reason none were planned - shame because we we could have played some at AG given the delay!

I don't believe there is a delay...I don't think it will ever happen...or has Bristol City really made me this pessimistic!! It wasn't long ago they had all the plans on display to redevelop the Williams Stand...and what happened to that?! They could at least give us decent seats in the Dolman...I am sick of getting splinters in my bum!!!!

Anyway....back to business....I have been away from the area for a few years and just moved back last season. But before that I remember having decent friendlies at AG that was a good opportunity to see some good players (on the other team of course!) and see City put out a potentially strong team. Now they play rubbish teams away and you are lucky to even know who half the City team are.

Maybe they do it so we actually appreciate it when we play the likes of Doncaster, Southend and S****horpe etc and think we are fooled into thinking they are BIG teams.

• Admin

Established Premiership clubs have thier pre-season booked often years in advance which is why lower league clubs like ours only get choice fixtures every so often unless of course a pre-season friendly is part of a player deal.

Are we assuming that there is no forward thinking at our club ?

I can't believe we don't have a home friendly this season. I used to look forward to the 2-3 home friendlies against prem opposition (or thereabouts).  Okay we usually got thrashed, but sometimes we held our own and it was good competition and nice for the fans...

Popped in the shop yesterday and then went to have a look at the pitch, where the stage for the concerts was placed the grass is not looking good, all brown and ihmo would not be ready for pre season friendlies.

probably this is why no home games.

I think Man Ure owe us a FIRST TEAM friendly after ripping us off over the sale of our young striker (I think his name was Rose), they said they would give a 1st team friendly as part of the deal (potentially worth £100ks) but ripped us off with a reserve/youth team with a couple of 1st team players making their comebacks from injury. IMO another example of BCFC not standing up for themselves.

BCAGFC

Guest Kustard
Popped in the shop yesterday and then went to have a look at the pitch, where the stage for the concerts was placed the grass is not looking good, all brown and ihmo would not be ready for pre season friendlies.

probably this is why no home games.

Yeah I see your point and having concerts at AG does bring in some extra money, but I wouldn't mind if they actually had some decent acts!! biggrin.gif

I love outdoor concerts and we haven't got a venue in Bristol for the big bands...how about getting Coldplay, REM, Chilis, Alanis, Keane, Robbie, Radiohead...that would be worth making a mess of the pitch for!!

I've been worried about the lack of quality opposition we are facing in the run up.

It's all very well playing the Conference sides, but it's going to leave you well

short when the league kicks off.

We should be playing one or two sides from higher up, at least.

Real Mallorca were superb, they had Barcellonas E'tto playing that night too, and if my memory sereves well, scored one from outside the box out of nothing.

And Steve Phillips will have nightmares forever about the free kicks...unsaveable.

Archived