IGNORED

Excuses Start Early

Josef Stalin

IF it is what you claim, I don't think the fans will buy it this year.

Last year I was prepared to let Tinman's pre-season promises go by as naivety and optimism from a manager learning his trade; this year I think I, along with most others, will be far less forgiving if it goes badly pear-shaped.

Tinnion added: "It's hard for me because the expectation here is to win the league and to lose 29 goals out of the side makes it difficult."

What is about that statement you don't get? Its not an excuse its a fact.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me but what he doesn't say is that Stewart will fill the gap.He may not get 29 goals but he'll score a few and unlike Leroy make a few for other players.

How many times did we see Leroy blaze shots high and wide last season when a pass to a teamate would have been far more fruitfull? Thats how Stewarts nouse will tell and we'll probably see more goals from midfield as well.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I translate it as "Hey, if we don't go up I can't help it if a week into pre season we lose last seasons star player on top of selling his back up"

Edit - And he'd be right!

Last season was tough, just as soon as he seemingly has it together, he has to make do without a huge asset.

Tinnion added: "It's hard for me because the expectation here is to win the league and to lose 29 goals out of the side makes it difficult."

a pre cursor to lowering our expectations?

devil.gif

Harry Redknapp, a manager at the opposite end of the experience stakes said the exact same thing about the loss of Kevin Phillips from the Southampton roster.

Not a pre-cursor to lowering expectations, more a simple statement of fact that is valid and should be treated as such.

The one thing Tinnion is not stating is the facts!! Lita did not score 29 LEAGUE goals last season - that figure amounted to around 22 or 23. England U-21, Carling, LDV and FA Cup goals mean nothing to me. League goals are the bread and butter. With an attacking style of play, and assuming Brooker chips in as he did last season, should Tinnion be able to coax AT LEAST 22-23 goals from the combined talents of Stewart, Gillespie and Cotterill? I would be very disappointed if he couldn't.

Next point, apart from Wilkshire, our goal return from other areas of the team was abysmal last season. In Wilkshire, Smith, Russell and hopefully Murray (if he is not totally shot as a player), Tinnion has more than enough ammunition to get plenty of goals from midfield if we play the right style of football.

Finally, what Tinnion then has to do is tighten up the defence (the tricky bit) and we will surely be in the mix up right at the top of the table. This is where Tinnion has to earn his nice fat wedge every week. Personally I think another Centre Half will help, particularly if Coles leaves.

Forget excuses to the media Brian - you won't fool many City supporters doing that this season - just get on with the job and let the teams performances do the talking.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

With Lita, Anyinsah and Coles it was realistic to aim for the title. But losing your best up-and-coming players, and players that are extremely important style-wise (eg Lita and Anyinsah getting behind defences, the quick Coles working around a tall centre-back), is a ridiculously huge setback. (Coughlan would of done nicely too).

In all honesty it's now very unrealistic to aim for the title.

Or a Pre Cursor to Tinnion leaving dunno.gif

I don't claim to know, but if funds aren't made available and I'd brought in the money that Tins has in the transfer market, I'd be a tad "miffed" mad.gif

If it were me I'd have already gone, that said if Coles goes too you have to wonder unsure.gif

Forget excuses to the media Brian - you won't fool many City supporters doing that this season - just get on with the job and let the teams performances do the talking.

Here's an idea .....

Why don't we (the fans) do the same. Why don't we judge him by how the team performs this season, rather than analysing (and usually criticising) anything he says to the media or even BCFC World?

After all, he's employed as manger rather than PR.

Think that statement is going to come back and slap you in the face.  Bit more positivity please!

Dollymarie

Dolly,it's the heart & head thing.

If BT is still at the helm come the end of the season - then great as we would have got promotion.

Still very much a divided opinion within the fan base.

But lets hope some of us receive the slap in the face, as I want out of this poxy div & if it's with BT at the helm - fine.

The other issue is that being a fan of BCFC it is difficult to really generate the positive vibes.

To me, it was inevitable that we would get clubs sniffing after Leroy this summer. He scored a lot of goals and gained international recognition, something which put both player and club in the media spotlight. My guess is that Preston were probably looking at Leroy when they spotted Matty Hill. It appeared that scouts from Derby & Preston were more or less ever presents at our home games last season. We have a reputation of playing good, attractive football and the academy system here is recognised as one of the best of its kind. We are bound to get the vultures sniffing around.

So, why did we sell Paul Heffernan?? I do detect the feeling of unrest at the club. The amount of players departing is quite alarming. Does Tinnion command the respect of the players? We all know what Tommy thought of him but other players have also expressed discontent (Clayton, Luke to name but two). Is Tinnion the problem?? Or, is it out of Tinnions hands. Is there pressure on him from the board to "cash-in" to address last seasons losses due to a disappointing campaign??

All I know is that the forthcoming campaign doesn't excite me like it usually does. I must admit I'd be very surprised if Tinnion is still at the helm this Christmas. Will he walk or will he be pushed? Who knows. The season ahead has just got harder

Guest C.T.I.D
Seems to me like its a bit of a go at SL

i think so,having a grumble at him leting our best players go and making his job harder.....going to be hard replacing 29 goals but it could've been a one-off from leroy anyway.

i still think that Brooker will get close to that without leroy here dance.gif

Guest C.T.I.D
Tinnion will be sacked before Christmas when City are in the bottom half (again)

since when was being in the top 8(7th) considered bottom half again doh.gif

simple mathematics:

24 teams divide by half = 12 and we were 7th

24 teams divide by 3 = 8 so we were it the top third doh.gif

Guest thatchermeup

a pre cursor to lowering our expectations?

devil.gif

Well maybe he has a point!

To me, it was inevitable that we would get clubs sniffing after Leroy this summer. He scored a lot of goals and gained international recognition, something which put both player and club in the media spotlight. My guess is that Preston were probably looking at Leroy when they spotted Matty Hill. It appeared that scouts from Derby & Preston were more or less ever presents at our home games last season. We have a reputation of playing good, attractive football and the academy system here is recognised as one of the best of its kind. We are bound to get the vultures sniffing around.

So, why did we sell Paul Heffernan?? I do detect the feeling of unrest at the club. The amount of players departing is quite alarming. Does Tinnion command the respect of the players? We all know what Tommy thought of him but other players have also expressed discontent (Clayton, Luke to name but two). Is Tinnion the problem?? Or, is it out of Tinnions hands. Is there pressure on him from the board to "cash-in" to address last seasons losses due to a disappointing campaign??

All I know is that the forthcoming campaign doesn't excite me like it usually does. I must admit I'd be very surprised if Tinnion is still at the helm this Christmas. Will he walk or will he be pushed? Who knows. The season ahead has just got harder

Good post.

I think we are on the edge of a potential demise.

If promotion evades us this season, I really can't see the currrent board sticking around or at least throwing money at the club with little reward. It seems to me that measures are already being taken to cut their losses and wisely abandon what is nothing more than a floating ship.

Sooner or later the board will want something back and the Sale of Lita & maybe Coles is just the start of this and who can blame them.

as a business you can't keep pumping money in with no return, unfortunately for us & the board I feel that the sale of Lita will cost them dearly, surely the price of promotion, higher gates, season tickets sales merchandise would have been at least worth double the money made from the sale of Lita................unless of course all is not well and something is brewing on the horizon.

I completely agree that Tinnion will be gone by christmas if we are not performing.

The non appointment of an experienced coach highlights this even more..............

So, why did we sell Paul Heffernan?? I do detect the feeling of unrest at the club.

Why so many conspiracy theories around??

It's not rocket science. Heff is a promising young striker. He spent most of last season warming the bench. Even with the prospect of Lita moving on, Heff still faced another potential season warming the bench while Brooker and Stewart pile in the goals biggrin.gif .

Heff was just unlucky that Lita exceeded everyone's expectations last season. His attitude and performances when given the chance were commendable. But with Stewart arriving, surely it would have been cruel to try to keep him here.

I really can't see the currrent board sticking around or at least throwing money at the club with little reward ...

as a business you can't keep pumping money in with no return ...

Do you really think Steve is stupid enough to be investing in football (and Bristol City in particular) "as a business"?

They are fans like the rest of us. The only difference is that through their [sheer hard work / amazing luck / criminal activities - delete as appropriate] they have money available that they can use to help keep the club running.

There are no excuses if we fail to make the top six next season, yes Leroy will go and possibly Danny Coles but they are replaceable and we still have 6 weeks to do it but do the board really want to, IMO no and this could be the start of their back seat (escape) policy. Let us hope they prove me wrong.

BCAGFC

Archived