IGNORED

Come On You Reds

richieb

Now call me a cynic doh.gif - Or maybe not biggrin.gif

It's really great to get the positive rallying call to get behind Board,Manager & Players.

And I am sure that every fan that has BCFC at heart will be giving it all come August 6th 3-00pm.

THE ROLLERCOASTER RIDE THAT IS SUPPORTING BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB.

But with so many false dawns,can any of the 'happy clappy's' actually for once admit that selling your best players is the right receipe for success.

Interesting listening to BT on 'World' - he actually spells it out quite well.

"If we are to get into the Championship, we can't keep selling our best players. We have to decide whether we are a big club. The next to go could be Golbourne, Skuse or Cotterill"

I actually have to give credit to BT for realising what many fans have been trying to say on this forum.

It goes without saying that there are some real 'off beat' posts on here reagrding boycotts & protests about selling our best players.

But there is a big difference between being a moaner & s realist.

I would question the ambition of some fans. Many seem quite content to allow certain issues affecting this club to pass on by.

As for me.

Yes - I didn't think that BT was the right choice of manager.

Yes - I think the quality of merchandise is poor.

Yes - I wanted Lita to stay - I would have liked Coughlan to sign.

Yes - I am concerned that we could have another disappointing season.

BUT

Its only because I want the very best for this great club.

MOANER - NO REALISTIC & CONCERNED.

"If we are to get into the Championship, we can't keep selling our best players. We have to decide whether we are a big club. The next to go could be Golbourne, Skuse or Cotterill"

Well if the manager thinks that then why aren't they offered at least three year contracts??? If COTTERILL has a good season this year then we will be in exactly the same situation as with lita now!!!!!

Well if the manager thinks that then why aren't they offered at least three year contracts??? If COTTERILL has a good season this year then we will be in exactly the same situation as with lita now!!!!!

I think that is exactly what BT seems to be thinking.

Laycock knew that an Academy would be a good breading ground for bringing players through & selling them at good return.

Perhaps that's why he wanted Pulis - when we could have had Taylor !! rofl2br.gif

I think in the current situation - that being that we have Brooker & Stewart and the fact Leroy has only a year left on his contract - we were right to sell Lita..............

However, I feel the club should have started negogiations on Leroy's contract a long time ago. The club nowadays has the policy of leaving the negogiations until the end of the season.... I feel they should have made an exception for one of there prized assets.

Cotteril signed a 2 and a half year deal in December and Skuse has just signed a new 2 year deal... we need to get these extended pronto!

But it could well be that these players won't want to sign extensions.

They may have more ambition - like all the other players we have lost to the Championship.

If the club showed ambition in keeping Lita etc, it would send out a big message that we are real serious about getting up.

One thing is for sure we WILL see how good these lads are come Aug.

But with so many false dawns,can any of the 'happy clappy's' actually for once admit that selling your best players is the right receipe for success.

not sure about happy clappy, but no selling our best players is not the recipe for success, but what choice did we really have? Leroy had not signed his new contract yet and admitted that he wanted to play at a higher level. So how could we have held onto him anyway.

I would question the wisdom of letting Heff go so early on, rather than waiting until we knew for sure that Leroy had signed with us (oh the benefit of hindsight).

Interesting listening to BT on 'World' - he actually spells it out quite well.

I agree with Brian, and to ensure we keep these players beyond their 1 breakthrough season we need to ensure they have decent contracts with more than 1 year left on them after this season (pretty sure they have just signed new ones)

I would question the ambition of some fans. Many seem quite content to allow certain issues affecting this club to pass on by.

I think it is sometimes more the case of some fans really trying to see the positives in order to combat some of the very negative views on this forum, so indeed you sometimes find yourself being more positive than you feel just to put across a different point of view. Equally I am sure all fans want success for the club no matter how they show it.

As for me.

I pretty much agree with all of those points and I would guess most fans would at least agree with the last 3. But we are at the start of a new season, one that could be crucially important for the club. We have all seen the consequence of not making the play offs, of not having a good cup run and of failing to get promoted yet again - massive financial contraints. Another year with similar results would set us back yet again, losing good players next summer and making even more cuts!

So positive thoughts:

We have a good young squad

We have a manager with a bit more experience now than he had last season

We have a few good new signings

We still have a good stadium

We have a great set of fans

Indeed, we all do (including the Board, management and players)

If the academy keeps producing these young talents then we will get promotion eventually...... and being in the championship will mean more of these youngsters will stay......

To reap the benefits of an academy i think we need to be in the championship.........

don't agree with that unless your talking about the actual shirt... but i thought last years shirt was the best for quite a while

the degree and variety of merchandise that our club shop sells is excellent.

as i parade my lee miller, tinman, leroy and ateyo t-shirts around the watford town centre i often have to listen to my mates moan and complain how pants the watford club shop is and how they wish they could buy watford gear like i have bristol city. I'm even supposed to bring one of my mates down just because he wants to have a look round our shop.

our club shop rulezz (attitude dance.gif ) and we're lucky to have it

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I can't wait for the new season, I can't wait to see City again and can't wait to sing for 90 minutes!

Just because I don't see an ever growing debt and no progress as excusable, doesn't mean any of these so called happy clappys will out sing me!

When we reach the championship we will be entitled to do exactley what other championship teams are doing to ourselves. Only then will we be a BIGGER club than any in league 1 and will be able to compete for better quality young players. Potential Lita's at other clubs in leagues 1 and 2 for example.

Going back to the extending contracts ask yourselves 'Do i sign for 3 years not knowing whether the club will progress?' Or 'If i sign a 1/2 yearcontract now i can extend it if we do or leave sooner if we don't'??

We need to show signs of progression to get these youngsters to sign long term. Getting into the championship would do this and i feel we are finally on the right path with Tinnion!! A managers who's heart is at this club!!

I didn't either, however, thought the reaction to him last year was very poor considering his service to the club.

Deserves another season

Couldn't agree more and I would like to see the board negotiate with a different company in the future with a more recognised branding and known for its quality e.g. Nike or Adidas.

I think £40 for a replica shirt of such poor quality is disgraceful, however, given our financial plight, I understand the high mark-up.

Would pay it every year for a quality product.

Totally agree on both points and I think any fan would.

The reason why i'm probably being classed as a "Happy Clappy" regarding Lita is I don't blame the club for cashing in when it is abundantly obvious the chav wants to be playing at a higher level now and is prepared to turn his back on his mentor Tinnion and the fans that have encouraged him so much.

He was never going to sign a contract; I don't believe a word of the "spin" about agent problems - anybody thought that perhaps his first agent was given the push because he advised Lita to stay where he was? It's possible!

I'm not.

Before the Lita issue, what ever club in our division had brought in the quality we have and went so hard after some fresh faces?

Yes, we suddenly look a couple of BACK-UP players light, however, there is time to rectify that.

We have quality players and our young Manager has hopefully learned 1 or 2 things from the first couple of months of the last season, so I expect us to hit the ground running.

Aside from the fact that I want to see Coles go (as he is another arrogant **** with the wrong attitude at times), I think the squad can now be classed as Tins team, I think they are all behind him 100% (apart from ginger knob-jockey) and I fully expect us to spend most of the season in the top 3 or 4.

As with you richie, I class this is as realism! biggrin.gif

I would question the wisdom of letting Heff go so early on, rather than waiting until we knew for sure that Leroy had signed with us

This point has come up a lot. Even with Lita gone, Heff would probably start off on the bench behind Stewart and Brooker. He's already had one season of bench-warming. Can you blame him for wanting to go elsewhere to stand a better chance of making the starting 11, and do you think it would have been fair for us to try to prevent him leaving? I don't.

I feel the club should have started negogiations on Leroy's contract a long time ago. The club nowadays has the policy of leaving the negogiations until the end of the season

I think the club's approach was sensible while we still had a chance of promotion (ie until the very last week of the season). Presumably we could have offered Leroy a better deal had we been in the Championship this season, and he might have felt less need to move away in order to further his career.

Overall, I'm still optimistic. Losing Leroy is a blow, but we've got Stewart plus hopefully quite a lot of money. We've lost the Doc, but he wasn't exactly a consistent performer for us and now we've got Russell and Smith. Heywood is hopefully the kind of player we've needed since Barry Fry shafted us over Ireland. And our youngsters will hopefully continue to improve.

P.S. Can't let this message pass without drawing attention to the large number of apostrophe crimes in this thread. Are there lots of greengrocer's on here this afternoon or something? biggrin.gif

However, I feel the club should have started negogiations on Leroy's contract a long time ago. The club nowadays has the policy of leaving the negogiations until the end of the season.... I feel they should have made an exception for one of there prized assets.

I think you will find that the club have been trying to negotiate a contract with Leroy (or should I now refer to him as Chavster) since last December, unfortunately it takes two parties to negotiate.

not sure about happy clappy, but no selling our best players is not the recipe for success, but what choice did we really have?  Leroy had not signed his new contract yet and admitted that he wanted to play at a higher level.  So how could we have held onto him anyway.

Yes,it does appear that LL wanted to taste a higher league. And I think his England aspirations had a baring on this move. But surely if he saw that we could go up this season & confidnece that the goals would flow, why not believe. And was the deal to extend his contract good enough - Was it promotion related?

I would question the wisdom of letting Heff go so early on, rather than waiting until we knew for sure that Leroy had signed with us (oh the benefit of hindsight).

I agree with Brian, and to ensure we keep these players beyond their 1 breakthrough season we need to ensure they have decent contracts with more than 1 year left on them after this season (pretty sure they have just signed new ones)

I really do believe that BT & SL thought LL was happy content & was going to sign up - hence Heff going. Obviously they didn't know LL well enough.

I think it is sometimes more the case of some fans really trying to see the positives in order to combat some of the very negative views on this forum, so indeed you sometimes find yourself being more positive than you feel just to put across a different point of view.  Equally I am sure all fans want success for the club no matter how they show it.

It's the word negativity that gets me. Much can be transfered into 'concerns' or 'reality'. Yes some posts are really off center & we avoid these. And you are right we ALL want success. Not matter how the transcript gets posted.

I pretty much agree with all of those points and I would guess most fans would at least agree with the last 3.  But we are at the start of a new season, one that could be crucially important for the club.  We have all seen the consequence of not making the play offs, of not having a good cup run and of failing to get promoted yet again - massive financial contraints.  Another year with similar results would set us back yet again, losing good players next summer and making even more cuts!

Yes, the new season always bring renewed hope & this is a biggee. For so many reasons.

So positive thoughts:

We have a good young squad

Agree

We have a manager with a bit more experience now than he had last season

Umh - No excuses & lets hope the lessons have been learn't on many fronts.

We have a few good new signings

Stewart agreed - jury will be out on the others. Are they better than what we have/had? Time will tell

We still have a good stadium

Good excepted but needs to improve on many fronts.

We have a great set of fans

Who are hungry for success - top answer

I didn't either, however, thought the reaction to him last year was very poor considering his service to the club.

Deserves another season

Well he's got it & the rollarcoaster is being maintained.

Couldn't agree more and I would like to see the board negotiate with a different company in the future with a more recognised branding and known for its quality e.g. Nike or Adidas.

I think £40 for a replica shirt of such poor quality is disgraceful, however, given our financial plight, I understand the high mark-up.

Would pay it every year for a quality product.

Totally agree on both points and I think any fan would.

Yep, the club are very blinkered on this topic. And the bottom line is the replica shirts cost a few quid less from TFG. How many other clubs have TFG ?

The reason why i'm probably being classed as a "Happy Clappy" regarding Lita is I don't blame the club for cashing in when it is abundantly obvious the chav wants to be playing at a higher level now and is prepared to turn his back on his mentor Tinnion and the fans that have encouraged him so much.

But if he thought City were serious in getting out of Div 1 he may have stayed.?

He was never going to sign a contract; I don't believe a word of the "spin" about agent problems - anybody thought that perhaps his first agent was given the push because he advised Lita to stay where he was? It's possible!

I'm not.

Yep,LL wanted away & was instrumental in getting the move. His taste of England mean't he wanted to be away from Div 1.

Before the Lita issue, what ever club in our division had brought in the quality we have and went so hard after some fresh faces?

Quality & fresh faces ? Stewart granted - not sure on others yet.

Yes, we suddenly look a couple of BACK-UP players light, however, there is time to rectify that.

We have quality players and our young Manager has hopefully learned 1 or 2 things from the first couple of months of the last season, so I expect us to hit the ground running.

I hope your right ! dunno.gif

Aside from the fact that I want to see Coles go (as he is another arrogant **** with the wrong attitude at times), I think the squad can now be classed as Tins team, I think they are all behind him 100% (apart from ginger knob-jockey) and I fully expect us to spend most of the season in the top 3 or 4.

Top 1 or 2 would be better.

As with you richie, I class this is as realism!  biggrin.gif

Guest REDCIDERARMY

It all comes down to getting out of this league in the championship you can keep players easily,all the players are happier not looking for new clubs,money with bigger attendances and more money from the league,stadium developement,if we stay in this league much longer its going to be a real struggle to get out,financially we are getting worse so no big signings hardwe to keep are academy players and can we keep them coming from the academy.

In short we have to get promoted.

THE ROLLERCOASTER RIDE THAT IS SUPPORTING BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB.

BUT

MOANER - NO REALISTIC & CONCERNED.

Absolutely agreed. But being realistic and accepting that things are not as you would ideally like them to be doesn't stop you being positive. I desperately wanted Leroy to stay, I was gutted Coughlan didn't sign, Tins would not have been my choice at the time and the merchandise is admittedly rubbish. However, having said all that, if we look at sober judgement at what we have, I don't think it's all that bad. We have a more realistic chance than most of being promoted, Tins has obviously adjusted to the demands of the job and we at least have signed a proven scorer in Stewart.

I'm concerned that we MIGHT have another disappointing season, but then again, it MIGHT also be a great one. I am realistic, but optimistic. When we're thrashed 4-0 by Yeovil Town I may admit that my optimism is misplaced but until then I am allowed to be hopeful.

Let's just wait until the season starts before the negativity sets in. If we win the first 5 games I think the mood on these boards will be completely different.

Archived