IGNORED

The Latest Rip Off

Guest Stafford

Guest Stafford

for £15, you can become a member of City's exclusive away supporters club which will give you priority over other fans when it comes to securing away tickets at midweek matches such as Hartlepool and Doncaster! and I though the club would want to encourage away support by making away tickets as easy to obtain as possible! oh well - I am sure there are enough lemmings out there to make this viable. come on you suckers - shell out even more of your hard earned cash to guarantee away tickets!

for £15, you can become a member of City's exclusive away supporters club which will give you priority over other fans when it comes to securing away tickets at midweek matches such as Hartlepool and Doncaster! and I though the club would want to encourage away support by making away tickets as easy to obtain as possible!  oh well - I am sure there are enough lemmings out there to make this viable.  come on you suckers - shell out even more of your hard earned cash to guarantee away tickets!

It is more aimed at those away fans who would like to guarantee themselves a ticket for the Yeovil/swansea away games. I don't think it makes it any harder for people to buy tickets at all, just gives some ST holders priority over others.

Yeovil have c.900 away seats I believe..? We have 8,00ish season ticket holders. The maths isn't right and this would guarantee you a ticket at this, and other, away games.

I will pay.

It's all about opinions though eh mate!

for £15, you can become a member of City's exclusive away supporters club which will give you priority over other fans when it comes to securing away tickets at midweek matches such as Hartlepool and Doncaster! and I though the club would want to encourage away support by making away tickets as easy to obtain as possible!  oh well - I am sure there are enough lemmings out there to make this viable.  come on you suckers - shell out even more of your hard earned cash to guarantee away tickets!

Well I've already signed up for me and Mrs RedTop. For some of us who work and are based in London, it's usually impossible to get down the Gate for matches where they insist on queuing up in person on a weekday, or to be first on the phone etc. And in the past for matches like Kingstonian, the thought of leaving it up to chance and drawing out the names of all hopefuls etc has meant I risked not getting a ticket. While the distribution of unexpected vouchers at away games is a better system, it still means you might miss one far away game, and as a result find you can't get tickets for a plum tie.

I'd much rather pay a few quid and know I get top priority for every away game. For those of you who think it's a rip-off, fine. Don't subscribe. Simple as that, I'm afraid. That's the beauty of the system. No-one's forcing you. Depends how much you value guaranteeing yourself a ticket, and how easy you find it to get tickets via other means like going to the ground in person to hand in away vouchers etc. It's no more expensive than a round of drinks, and I know which I prefer.

Here's hoping we get the Gas away in the FA Cup. snack.gif

Would have it been so wrong for the club to offered a vast amount to season ticket holders and then a smaller amount to all-comers?

That way season ticket holders enjoy their perk, and people who regularly make away games can have some of the action - all whilst the club continue to make money.

Would have it been so wrong for the club to offered a vast amount to season ticket holders and then a smaller amount to all-comers?

That way season ticket holders enjoy their perk, and people who regularly make away games can have some of the action - all whilst the club continue to make money.

That's what they are doing, effectively. Except they're prioritising those season ticket holders who also follow City away regularly, and to whom such a perk is therefore more valuable. Is it any fairer for season ticket holders who never go away from home (and many of them don't) to have the same priority as season ticket holders who also go to most if not all away games? Not really.

Bottom line is this: in games where ticket demand exceeds supply, there will always be complaints that the distribution system is not fair. This is just insurance to stop it happening for those of us who would rather not take the risk. If an insurance company offered a £15-a-year policy to guard against you missing out on tickets to crucial away matches there are plenty who'd take them up on it. Well I see this as the same thing - except the money goes to the club.

As far as rationing systems go, in general those who are prepared to pay for something are those to whom it matters most. I don't think £15 is so much that people can't afford to pay it, it's all about priorities. And the function of a rationing system is to sort out those for whom it is a high priority from those for whom it is not. This fits the bill, and therefore I suggest is as fair a way of divvying up hard-to-get tickets as you will find.

I'm with you on many of your points there RedTop, but I also still stand by the element of fans who only go to away matches - they are still fans, they still make the commitment, and they should also have (albeit limited) access to this scheme.

I'm sure they also don't mind spending fifteen quid to get some priority. They stand by the team whilst they're away from home, hopefully helping us go up the league.

Just because they're not at home as well doesn't make them any less of a fan who only attends home matches in my opinion.

Enjoy your away games in those deep dark places where the rest of us fear to tread, by the way wink.gif

What they are doing is making it easier for people who only go to 1or2 away games a season, its not rewarding people who travel to a lot of games, simply making it easier for people to attend the one or two high profile games that they want to go to.

Last season I think we only sold our allocation out at Walsall and Bournemouth. I believe that Bournemouth may be increasing their allocation. The only game that we will probably sell out at will be Yeovil where tickets will be hard to come by.

So effectively it is paying an extra £15 to get the yeovil ticket, which if you could virtually guarantee yourself of getting if you turn up on the day they go on sale. The only other game likely to effect it is maybe a play-off game.

It is a waste of money and in no way rewards regular away followers, it does seperate those who are prepared to travel all over, and those that are prepared to pay £15.

Guest JonSingleton
I'm with you on many of your points there RedTop, but I also still stand by the element of fans who only go to away matches - they are still fans, they still make the commitment, and they should also have (albeit limited) access to this scheme.

I'm sure they also don't mind spending fifteen quid to get some priority. They stand by the team whilst they're away from home, hopefully helping us go up the league.

Just because they're not at home as well doesn't make them any less of a fan who only attends home matches in my opinion.

Enjoy your away games in those deep dark places where the rest of us fear to tread, by the way wink.gif

Totally agree

Whilst I have no problem with season ticket holders being the main marketing and sales focus of the club, clearly they should be, the club seems happy to ignore those fans who through location spend more time following the club around the country than at Ashton Gate.

As an excile I have no membership scheme to join any more, no complimentary copy of gatepost anymore. I therefore feel less attached to the club.

If the club want to fill the seats that are empty at most home games it needs to spend more time looking at the fanbase outside of just the season ticket holders and potential season ticket holders to see how they make more attractive offers to entice them to attend more regularly.

For example in the NBA teams bundle a small series of basketball games (say half a dozen) that include a couple of popular games along with some of the ones that are less attractive at a discounted rate. I would have thought this might be a good idea particularly when we are operating with a reduced capacity. The more often they get the fans down their who can't commit to a full or half season ticket (for whatever reason) the more likely they are to spend money in the shops and kiosks etc.

If I came on the site and there was somehting that appealed to me as a fan living and working in London I would happily part with my money but over recent years that has become less and less the case. Speak to fans in a similar position I think by and large they feel the same way.

Yes, you make a good point about away fans. I suggested to the club a few years ago that they operate an away season ticket, independent of the home ticket. Other clubs do it, and it guarantees those who DO go to every away game the prized tickets when there's a shortage.

How it works is this:

You 'buy' an away season ticket at the start of the season by giving your credit card details.

As the tickets become available for each away game, they are automatically sent out to you in the post without you having to ring to order them. The amount paid for each month is then deducted at the end of the month from your credit card.

You do NOT have a say in which games you go to - just as you don't with a home season ticket. You undertake to buy one ticket for every away game. The advantage over the home season ticket, though, is that because the prices and tickets are not allocated by the home team until quite close to the game, the amount is charged monthly and is therefore spread over the course of the season rather than one large up-front amount.

As far as I'm concerned, not only would that be a great convenience to those of us who go to most away games because we would not have to keep checking up the website and remembering to ring up each week to get the tickets, it would genuinely reward those fans who DO go to all or most away games.

I don't know how many takers the clb would get for away season tickets but I'd be one, and MrsRedTop would be another. Would anyone else be interested?

Guest JonSingleton
Yes, you make a good point about away fans. I suggested to the club a few years ago that they operate an away season ticket, independent of the home ticket. Other clubs do it, and it guarantees those who DO go to every away game the prized tickets when there's a shortage.

How it works is this:

You 'buy' an away season ticket at the start of the season by giving your credit card details.

As the tickets become available for each away game, they are automatically sent out to you in the post without you having to ring to order them. The amount paid for each month is then deducted at the end of the month from your credit card.

You do NOT have a say in which games you go to - just as you don't with a home season ticket. You undertake to buy one ticket for every away game. The advantage over the home season ticket, though, is that because the prices and tickets are not allocated by the home team until quite close to the game, the amount is charged monthly and is therefore spread over the course of the season rather than one large up-front amount.

As far as I'm concerned, not only would that be a great convenience to those of us who go to most away games because we would not have to keep checking up the website and remembering to ring up each week to get the tickets, it would genuinely reward those fans who DO go to all or most away games.

I don't know how many takers the clb would get for away season tickets but I'd be one, and MrsRedTop would be another. Would anyone else be interested?

I think there would be a lot of interest in this option but now the away club has been set up for season ticket holders it would be less attractive than it might have been.

The club and season ticket holders will argue that priorty should be given to them. Although this is a commonly held view in my opinion many of the vans who travel primarily to away games because of their circumstances make more of effort and finanical outlay in doing this than season ticket holders who only go to home games.

Unfortunately I don't think the club would be interested in your scheme as they would be primarily collecting money for the clubs who are staging the matches rather than themselves.

I would take your idea one stage further and ask them to consider some proper money in a database so that they can store far more information about us as individuals, games we attend, what we spend money etc. I am not saying something as sophisticated as the personalistion provided by the Amazons of this world but something which recognises we have fans all over the country and furtheer afield who they seem to know very little about.

When was the last time any signifiant research done about the fanbase. I seem to remember a survey a few years back in gatepost? But now this is for season ticket holders primarily any research needs to be far more inclusive.

What happens if we travel to a Yeovil type ground with a smaller allocation of tickets than there are members of this scheme?  Is it then a 'lucky dip' to see who gets the tickets?  Sounds similar to what already happens in that case....

I think you'll find that the allocation is equal to (or maybe slightly smaller than) the smallest away allocation in our league so this is only a very small risk for cup games.

I think there would be a lot of interest in this option but now the away club has been set up for season ticket holders it would be less attractive than it might have been.

Whereas I, as a season ticket holder, bought my season ticket on the unederstanding that it gives me priority for all games.

I would therefore feel aggrieved if suddenly those people who don't own season tickets were given priority over me for the away games for the sake of £15.

I am perfectly happy to pay that extra £15 (and would probably have paid more Robbored... bear in mind that it is to administer the scheme for a full year..) to give me priority over other season ticket holders.

As an excile I have no membership scheme to join any more, no complimentary copy of gatepost anymore. I therefore feel less attached to the club.

Jon, Gatepost will be published in pdf format on the main site, when it is you will be pleased to read that there is a new scheme for exiles!

So there you go... we are all happy! ...... wink.gif

smile.gif

Whereas I, as a season ticket holder, bought my season ticket on the unederstanding that it gives me priority for all games.

I would therefore feel aggrieved if suddenly those people who don't own season tickets were given priority over me for the away games for the sake of £15.

I am perfectly happy to pay that extra £15 (and would probably have paid more Robbored... bear in mind that it is to administer the scheme for a full year..) to give me priority over other season ticket holders.

Who said anything about priority over you?

Non-season ticket holder stumps up fifteen quid, you stump up fifteen quid, both of you jump to the front of the queue.

Where's the problem here?

Or do I have to dredge up the argument of the home fan being a 'better' fan again?

As far as I'm aware your season ticket allows you priority to home games. Vouchers handed out at unattractive away games by the club give different priority to those who actually attend the away fixtures.

shut up if it make the club money then so be it stopur moaning!

• Admin

So we can't moan that we have just spent hundreds of pounds for a season ticket, then we have to pay another £15 just to be able to buy another ticket for an away game ??

Think about this. .. . . if it only applies to 3 games you would have paid £5 per game just for the right to purchase a ticket !

Now if there was some discount offered that is another offer !

So we can't moan that we have just spent hundreds of pounds for a season ticket, then we have to pay another £15 just to be able to buy another ticket for an away game ??

Think about this. .. . . if it only applies to 3 games you would have paid £5 per game just for the right to purchase a ticket !

Now if there was some discount offered that is another offer  !

You say if it only applies to 3 games.....id pay an extra £5 to go to Yeovil, wouldn't you? dunno.gif

• Admin

Will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Does anyone know (who has the time) to list the grounds where we gate an allocation where this will be needed - if we sell them all.

I wonder all the people that buy this offer, if say only 100 people take it up, and it means that any other season ticket holder can always buy a ticket would you view it differently then ?

I would of gone for 2 if that. Yeovil is a definate, maybe Notts Forest? Swindle could of been but the game is on sky so dunno.gif and if 100 people take this offer up that is good. Extra money for our club city.gif

Now if there was some discount offered that is another offer  !

so it last game of season AWAy and its a win we need but low and behold all tickets are going to the ones who paid 15 quid ...tada!!

Archived