IGNORED

Urban Myth #437

Ian M

• Admin

A little bit of research later....

After signing for Sunderland on 24/09/04 they had 39 games.

Bridges appeared on the pitch in 21 of them.

He was an unused sub in a further 6 games.

He featured in the reserves on 7 occasions (scoring 6 goals against Prem sides' ressies).

So a little manipulation of figures suggests he was available for 34 or 39 games. 87% roughly. innocent.gif thumb.gif unsure.gif

online2long.gif

If he matches that availability down here he'll be available for 40 of our 46 League Games.

I'll settle for that biggrin.gif

Guest Ben Wah Balls

Surely this just makes his one goal in that time all the more worrying?? Jon Stevenson was the premier league reserves top scorer a couple of years back, came to us and was utterly useless and left after a year.

• Admin
Surely this just makes his one goal in that time all the more worrying?? Jon Stevenson was the premier league reserves top scorer a couple of years back, came to us and was utterly useless and left after a year.

Most the time he was a late substitute but you still have to be fit to get on the bench, especially at a team that finishes top of the league.

The Sunderland fans still believe he has that class.

Surely this just makes his one goal in that time all the more worrying??

Don't you think you've got enough to worry about- being a Swindon fan?

I am of the opinion that (if he stays fit) he could be a more than adequate player for this league.

To be honest, with the amount you have posted on this forum about him, I was beginning to think you were quite a fan!

Guest Ben Wah Balls

You have a quality strikeforce anyway with Stewart and Brooker but those will still be the first choice pairing I'd think. I'm just glad you've not replaced Lita with anyone decent.

That is certainly the message I got from a colleague yesterday - he was gutted that Marcus didn't stay and this hasn't made him feel any better.

biggrin.gif Suddenly made me feel better! biggrin.gif

Guest Ben Wah Balls

Well Bridges was in fact linked with us in May. Here is some quotes from our forum at that time:

Boulding might be a decent shout, but Bridges?

He fat, injury prone, and even Sam Alladyce couldnt revive his career. we should avoid.

I'd steer clear of Bridges, his injury record doesn't inspire much confidence.

Not sure Boulding is any better than what we have already at our disposal.

As for Bridges,  he would demand a decent wage and his long term fitness is questionable.

Thorpes struggled for fitness as well this season; of the four I guess I'd like to see Cureton, he does seem to score goals wherever he goes.

if injured and on high wages it would be aweful and swindon connot afford the risk

I have to say if Bolton couldn't reserrect his career I can't see many clubs willing to take the gamble, Swindon included. Couple with the notion that he's a Northern boy I can't see him coming here.

Also, would he really be any better than what we've already got? I'd rather see another hot youngster - Nathan Tyson if we've got the money would do nicely! - to challenge Fallon and Roberts for a first team place.

Bridges is used to silly money.

I would rather see us get some hungry player from lower down the league.

I suppose if nobody else is willing to take a punt on Bridges.....and he's prepared to accept a 20K a week pay cut and take a month by month contract he could be worth a look.

Yep everyone seemed really excited....

Well, you have a jolly good time with the free scoring Cureton, Roberts, Thorpe and Fallon.

*snigger*

We'll be content with watching two players who have done it in the Premiership, someone who the fans of the European champions didn't want to leave, and a player who scored 21 goals last year too.

Now, p.iss off back to your own forum.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

Bridges has only scored one goal in the last 5 seasons. Don't believe me? Prove me wrong then. I saw one newspaper report saying he scored two last year but pretty much every source agrees it was one, I can only assume he tried to claim another goal but it was given to another player.

Bridges has only scored one goal in the last 5 seasons. Don't believe me? Prove me wrong then. I saw one newspaper report saying he scored two last year but pretty much every source agrees it was one, I can only assume he tried to claim another goal but it was given to another player.

Hes still young enough to ressurect his career. Hes only signed a 1 year deal so at least he will have time to prove himself. At least hes had experience of playing in a higher league. city.gif

Bridges has only scored one goal in the last 5 seasons. Don't believe me? Prove me wrong then. I saw on one newspaper report saying he scored two last year but pretty much every source agrees it was one, I can only assume he tried to claim another goal but it was given to another player.

Why are you even here?

Shouldn't you be typing on your forum about your rather shoddy front-line. I know jealousy is probably weighing heavily, but, you never know, one of your strikers might manage double figures this year.

It could happen! blink.gif

Stewart scored 17 and Brooker scored 21. So theres 38 for you.

Add Wilkshires 9, Murrays 7, Smiths 10, and you have 64, not taking into account Heywood from set-pieces, Bridges one, Gillespie, Cotterill or anybody else.

How many did Cureton, Roberts, Thorpe and Fallon score combined last year?

Again, I rest my case.

Guest Ben Wah Balls
Stewart scored 17 and Brooker scored 21. So theres 38 for you.

But I'm not arguing that Stewart and Brooker are quality strikers, I haven't claimed otherwise - they are up there amongst the best in this league. I was simply pointing out that Bridges isn't.

You are getting really boring! sleeping.gif

If you don't think he's any good, fine, he's is signing for Bristol City, and you are a Swindon fan. banghead.gif

You're obsessed!

But I'm not arguing that Stewart and Brooker are quality strikers, I haven't claimed otherwise - they are up there amongst the best in this league. I was simply pointing out that Bridges isn't.

No he is'nt up amongst the best in this league,but he's not been playing in this league. banghead.gif

Regular starts rather than sub appearances may well see Bridges relive some of his old ability.

If he doesn't it's not the end of the world, the other 3 strikers are more than enough to live with. He's on a one year contract so it's clearly a case of "let's see".

Needless to say if he scores when we beat Swindon I am sure we'll enjoy it.

Nibor

Thorpe and Cureton have poor records in the Championship in recent seasons, yet you are confident they will do the business in League One.

Bridges has scored goals in the Premiership, yet you readily dismiss him as being rubbish?

Your whole raison d'etre reeks of envy and deperation. Remember form is temporary, class is permanent. The poor guy has suffered some career threatening injuries, and would appear very motivated to prove to everybody that he still retains that class despite all his problems. I think if you give him some time and he is able to stay fit he will prove to be one of the stars of the coming season. Bridges to Swindle!! You wish!!

Well Bridges was in fact linked with us in May. Here is some quotes from our forum at that time:

"Linked with us" meaning that people threw his name around on your forum without any evidence of an approach or anything of that nature?

Essentially you were linked with him in the same way that we were linked with Figo.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

I really don't want to argue about this any more but cynic how many has he scored then? I'm talking first team goals not reserves. Here is some proof that proves you wrong, if it is inaccurate please tell me how.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football-he...sp?HeroID=10313

Leeds Utd: 2000-2001 Played 7 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)

2001-2002 Played 0 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)

2002-2003 Played 5 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)

2003-2004 Played 10 Scored 0 goals (Premiership)

Newcastle: 2003-2004 Played 6 Scored 0 goals (loan)

Bolton 2004-2005 Played 0 Scored 0 goals

Sunderland 2004-2005 Played 19 Scored 1 goal

• Admin

Generally people just seemed concerned that a) he gets paid too much, b) he gets injured too much and c) he wouldn't join you anyway.

Hard to get excited about a player with those subjects occupying the forefront of your mind. It'd be like me getting excited about Darren Anderton joining us.

a) he's on a performance related contract.

b) I've disproved this above innocent.gif

c) he's already agreed to join us.

Those who saw him play for Sunderland's reserves last season still see the class is there and his cameo roles when he came on for the First XI often influenced matches.

Still, feel free to remain unexcited by him when he's ripping your defence to shreds next season.....and be rest assured that if he isn't due to injury that we won't actually be paying him much anyway biggrin.gif

2 goals. Nov 27 away to Stoke & Dec 18 home to Burnley snack.gif

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/sunderl...-name_page.html

Me thinx the lad is ready to kick 8rse smile.gif

Obviiously time will tell praying smiley.gif

"Linked with us" meaning that people threw his name around on  your forum without any evidence of an approach or anything of that nature?

Essentially you were linked with him in the same way that we were linked with Figo.

That's not fair, Swindle have been linked with something that turned out true ... tax evasion.

Archived