IGNORED

Urban Myth #437

Ian M

I remember seeing a doucmentry on Bridges & Leeds years ago when he was at Elland Rd. What I remembered most was everyones admiration for him while he was battling injury, his spirt and desire to play and prove himself to people who had written him off was massive.

i hope all the teams playing us for the last time in this league would write him off, there's nothing more satisfiing than punishing stupidity and arrogance.

Hilarious thread for one thing - the number of times the Swindle fan pops up on it time and again desperately insisting Bridges is rubbish.

Methinks he doth protest a tad too much!

It's sad we lost Lita, but if offered it in May I think most of us would have accepted a front line up of Stewart, Bridges, Brooker and Gillespie - plus a million quid in the bank!

I'm afraid nothing will convince me that Swindle would swap their line-up for that too, especially after losing Parkin, their only half-decent player.

As far as I'm concerned the summer transfer dealings have done three things:

1. Given us a front line capable of getting us a top two spot.

2. Given us a million quid.

3. Brought in the sort of big-name feel-good signings that get the other players and the fans excited. I for one can't wait to see this squad in action.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

I didn't make up any of the quotes search for bridges on www.thetownend.com if you want.

The goal at Burnley was credited to Liam Lawrence

"Sadly, the former Leeds United and Newcastle United man was not able to bask in the glory of it at the time, his team-mates and crowd congratulating Liam Lawrence for the goal which secured Sunderland's win, as he sat alone in the back of the Burnley net.

It was easy to see why. Lawrence did most of the hard work, his vicious, curling cross wrong footing Burnley's keeper Brian Jensen. The ball was already finding its way into the net before Bridges' intervention,"

- Everywhere has the goal down as Liam Lawrence, it was credited to him it was already in before Bridges touched it.

I guess you mean lost only one decent player Parkin, whilst we've signed quality.

If you think I'd want Bridges you are mistaken, I wouldn't swap him for Fallon, Roberts, Thorpe or Cureton, far too injury prone.

Stewart and Brooker though I would swap as they are very good strikers and of course I'd have loved to have had Lita too.

As I said before both Swindon and Bristol city have very good strikeforces but ours are on several thousand a week less.

Guest MaloneFM

You have got Roberts on several thousands a week?

Good GOD man get a grip. I mean Curtain is ex gas so maybe he is approaching his sell by date a bit but Roberts never even had a date on him.

Best thing you could put on Roberts?

Stabilisers.

Guest MaloneFM

Roberts should be on waaay less than a thousand a week. And how do you know this anyway?

Please don't say 'a source' and tap your nose. 'A source' to mean means made up.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

At our agm the directors said our wages are capped at £1,000 a week, with the exception of Parkin, not sure what he was on but our wage budget has been reduced even further this year and it's already low for this league rumoured to be under a million.

At our agm the directors said our wages are capped at £1,000 a week, with the exception of Parkin, not sure what he was on but our wage budget has been reduced even further this year and it's already low for this league rumoured to be under a million.

I was going to say Parkin must be on more than a grand, but i find that very hard to belive that he's the only one.

Guest cider_kirk
Well Bridges was in fact linked with us in May. Here is some quotes from our forum at that time:

Yep everyone seemed really excited....

how can you put Bolton who finished 6th? in the prem, who are playing in the uafa cup next season, who had former champions league winners in there team, int the same breath as swindon?

oh wait, Bolton havent got a silly roundabout?

worry about your own team, seeing as your players keep leaving!

when they move to darlington you know things are looking bad whistling.gif

Guest Ben Wah Balls
how can you put Bolton who finished 6th? in the prem, who are playing in the uafa cup next season, who had former champions league winners in there team, int the same breath as swindon?

oh wait, Bolton havent got a silly roundabout?

worry about your own team, seeing as your players keep leaving!

when they move to darlington you know things are looking bad whistling.gif

Bolton??? What?

Yep everyone was really upset about David Duke leaving especially as withdrew our contract offer a month ago and this was a player who was booed during the season as he was playing so bad. biggrin.gif

Here is our reaction: http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1...ytoid=534168786

rofl2br.gif  dude, you don't honestly belive that do you?

Are you a Swindon shareholder then as I am and I've seen our accounts,

I've even taken a picture for you:

user posted image

Who are we paying more than a grand a week then, please tell me.

These stories mention the £1000 a week figure, it is well known.

http://www.thisisstfc.co.uk/news_headlines....asp?NewsID=976

http://www.thisisstfc.co.uk/news_headlines...asp?NewsID=2159

Add Wilkshires 9

Just to re-inforce your point, Wilkshire got 10 last season! Thats why he took the pen at Sheff Wed- allegedly- as he had a bonus for getting 10 goals in a season. You are right though, we have goals from all over the place, and even if Bridges only added 10, that would be a good enough return in my view city.gif

Just to re-inforce your point, Wilkshire got 10 last season! Thats why he took the pen at Sheff Wed- allegedly- as he had a bonus for getting 10 goals in a season. You are right though, we have goals from all over the place, and even if Bridges only added 10, that would be a good enough return in my view city.gif

A point well made!

I forgot about the Wednesday goal!

A point well made!

I forgot about the Wednesday goal!

That was a great game, so satisfying to beat them. I really do hope that Wilkshire plays this season, as i think he is our best player. Reading through the thread, i do find it amusing that there are so many Swindon fans on here slagging us of (Rich TGSC apart) I don't mind other fans making comments about us, or even constructive critiscism, but just to come on for a reaction is silly. I expect half of the people slagging off Bridges don't even feel that way, they are just doing it to wind us up.

That was a great game, so satisfying to beat them. I really do hope that Wilkshire plays this season, as i think he is our best player. Reading through the thread, i do find it amusing that there are so many Swindon fans on here slagging us of (Rich TGSC apart) I don't mind other fans making comments about us, or even constructive critiscism, but just to come on for a reaction is silly. I expect half of the people slagging off Bridges don't even feel that way, they are just doing it to wind us up.

I think exactly the same.

For a start, Wilskhire is of undeniable quality.

Also, as I've said before, Swindon would cream themselves if Michael Bridges had signed for them. But he wouldn't,

Rich TGSC is one of the most constructive posters on here, hes not on here for a reaction.

Ball Man and Swindon Dave are.

I think exactly the same.

For a start, Wilskhire is of undeniable quality.

Also, as I've said before, Swindon would cream themselves if Michael Bridges had signed for them. But he wouldn't,

Rich TGSC is one of the most constructive posters on here, hes not on here for a reaction.

Ball Man and Swindon Dave are.

Totally agree. I do wonder if Rich's girlfriend does do the odd sneaky post as him though biggrin.gif , as he is sometimes surprisingly pro-City! I find that the amount of good Wilkshire does for us is not really reflected. I think he should be appreciated more, especially by the fans, and it annoys me that he seems to get very little attention. btw how come you are posting so late... i think i have insomnia whistling.gif

Totally agree. I do wonder if Rich's girlfriend does do the odd sneaky post as him though biggrin.gif , as he is sometimes surprisingly pro-City! I find that the amount of good Wilkshire does for us is not really reflected. I think he should be appreciated more, especially by the fans, and it annoys me that he seems to get very little attention. btw how come you are posting so late... i think i have insomnia whistling.gif

Just got back from a night out mate! Came home early because of the Next sale thats on at 5am.

I'm a little worse for wqear to be honest, but had nothing else to do!

Unfortunately the night out was in Bournemouth because I don't live in good old Brizzle anymore, but I'm moving back soon.

As far as Wilks goes, he is under-rated because this league requires beefy midfielders who can tackle. Players with a bit of guile are secondary. I was a staunch advocate for keeping the Doc, because I thought that everytime her protected Wilks, there was time for us to unlock the opposition defence.

I think Wilkshire is our best player, with Stewart in terms of ability, but I don't know if he'll get the chance to prove it.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

I don't come on here to get a reaction, I just come on here to see what our rivals our up to, I generally only read Swindon related topics or new signings anyway. I'm not trying to annoy anyone but if I disagree with something someones posted I'll argue with them.

If Michael Bridges had signed for us I'd be very worried and not at all happy but if Marcus Stewart had signed for us I'd be very happy - that is the truth. Believe what you want.

As far as Wilks goes, he is under-rated because this league requires beefy midfielders who can tackle. Players with a bit of guile are secondary. I was a staunch advocate for keeping the Doc, because I thought that everytime her protected Wilks, there was time for us to unlock the opposition defence.

Thats a good point, i hope Scott Brown can do the defensive role this year, but i am getting a bad feeling that Russel will play more than Luke, which would be wrong in my view.

Just got back from a night out mate! Came home early because of the Next sale thats on at 5am.

I'm a little worse for wqear to be honest, but had nothing else to do!

Unfortunately the night out was in Bournemouth because I don't live in good old Brizzle anymore, but I'm moving back soon

I see....so i guess when we are down in Bournemouth its a virtual home game for you...unless you are back by then of course! I shall be moving to Cardiff (!) in September, so it will be a strange feeling for home matches to require planning, money and effort.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

You're not going to Cardiff Uni are you? If so you've made the right choice but I'm afraid the whole of Cathays is Swindon territory. wink.gif

You're not going to Cardiff Uni are you? If so you've made the right choice but I'm afraid the whole of Cathays is Swindon territory.

Nah, UWE. I turned down Cardiff and a few others so that I could go home.

I'll still be here when we play Boremuff away, but a few weeks later I'll be down at the Gate.

In my view Scott Brown isn't a protector like the Doc was. He looked off the pace everytime I saw him last year. I know he is a good player, but not sure that he is any different to Russell.

And as far as I'm concened, Wilks is a must have in the starting 11.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

Cardiff is a great uni and home to myself. Cathays is a big student area, pretty much anything from the students union to talybont but city fans are allowed in, no oxford fans though.

Archived