IGNORED

Bridges - Absolute Class

graham b

Michael Bridges' performance at Cheltenham was a joy to watch.

His link play was central to the first half performance in that most attacking play went through him and it difficult to remember him giving the ball away. One thirty yard through ball to Gillespie was inch perfect for a one to one chance (unfortunately missed) If he is indeed lacking match fitness then the league one defences are in for absolute nightmares when he gets it.

Heywood's performance was equally impressive and only really appreciated in the second half when the defence became shambolic. Couldn't call him class however but hugely impressive as a ball winner and central pivot.

His link play was central to the first half performance in that most attacking play went through him and it difficult to remember him giving the ball away. One thirty yard through ball to Gillespie was inch perfect for a one to one chance (unfortunately missed)  If he is indeed lacking match fitness then the league one defences are in for absolute nightmares when he gets it.

Heywood's performance was equally impressive and only really appreciated in the second half when the defence became shambolic. Couldn't call him class however but hugely impressive as a ball winner and central pivot.

Spot on with that, mate!

His link play was central to the first half performance in that most attacking play went through him and it difficult to remember him giving the ball away. One thirty yard through ball to Gillespie was inch perfect for a one to one chance (unfortunately missed) If he is indeed lacking match fitness then the league one defences are in for absolute nightmares when he gets it.

[/quote

spot on! Bridges is looking class and Heywood's just what we've been missing. city.gif

Cant Wait to see him play. Was he really that good? How has Stewart been?

He really did look the business last night.

Bit gutted he was took off.

Also Heywood was looking the part too, i know its going to be said because he came from swindon, but he looks the first player in years who might actually fill the gap taylor left.

Had the feeling stewart wasnt 100% fit.

Didnt really get into the game but by then the front 2 were'nt seeing a lot of the ball to be fair.

Russell looked like a quality player in the middle, always wanting the ball off the defence and had a good range of passing.

I say it every year, but honestly if we don't do it this year i don't know when we ever will.

Fair play to tinnion, we've got one hell of a quality squad. city.gif

Fair play for admitting that publically - but where are the other critics?

Probably waiting untill City lose a match.....

Well isn't that the point?

I agree that Tinman has made some great signings, and I'd love him to do well.

However this is now Tinmans squad, his training regimes etc, and the pressure is on him to deliver.

Your question above suggests that Tinman has already proved his critics wrong, and whilst his dealings in the transfer market cannot be faulted, I think most will reserve judgement of his managerial skills until the REAL football is underway.

I don't want to sound grumpy or pessimistic, and as i have said already I'd love Tinman to succeed, but at the moment we have still acheived nothing.

Yes we have added some exciting ingredients, but, the proof of the pudding is in the eating...

For Gods sake last season was dire, The football was dire, The signings were dire, Tactics were dire and so were performances, I'm sure most detractors last season were upset by the fact that Tinnion appeared to suggest that promotion would be something of a breeze, Stop trying to spin last season into anything other than what it was DIRE.

People were and are entitled to expect better than last season.

And people are also entitled (even if they slated (as I did) the manager last season) to feel excited about the coming season, That's what we do virtually every season.

At the end of last seasons debacle, I tried to focus on the positives and they were:-Lita and the introduction of the academy kids and now the positives appear to be quality signings (although Bridges is a gamble and fair play to him for backing his judgemant on this one) and also clearing the decks of hopefully all of the dead wood.

Here's one of them.

I said last season that Tinnion should of been sacked because we had a good squad in the weakest 3rd division i can ever recall seeing. Early on he appeared to have little clue toward what his best team was, little to no tactical awareness and his appointment had clearly divided {some of} the squad.

I'm certianly not afraid to admit that and will hapliy raise my hand in any such vote. I stand by my views, i felt that around January/Feburary last year he should have gone. As he didnt leave then it was in the best interest of the club to give him until Christmas this year - please feel free to check that what i say is the truth.

I'm a patient man when it comes to managers, however Tinnions performance last season and the performance of the team as a whole was un-acceptable.

Hope springs eternal however, we have made some very good additions. In a brief second of realism it should be remembered that Stewart wanted to come here and then subsequently played a big part in getting Bridges here. Thats obviously not attempting to take anything away from Tinnion, merely pointing out that without Stewarts personal desire to play for this football club the 2 highest profile summer acquisitions would probably not have been here.

Just on a general note in regards to you're rather pathetic 'cheap shot', aimed at those of us who felt last season was poor/un-acceptable and said so - i assume based on you're comments you expected people to continually be slating Tinnion throughout the summer, criticising his signings to give you a constant reminder that some people felt we underachieved last year. And here i was thinking negative comments were not welcome!

Here's one of them.

I said last season that Tinnion should of been sacked because we had a good squad in the weakest 3rd division i can ever recall seeing. Early on he appeared to have little clue toward what his best team was, little to no tactical awareness and his appointment had clearly divided {some of} the squad.

I'm certianly not afraid to admit that and will hapliy raise my hand in any such vote. I stand by my views, i felt that around January/Feburary last year he should have gone. As he didnt leave then it was in the best interest of the club to give him until Christmas this year - please feel free to check that what i say is the truth.

I'm a patient man when it comes to managers, however Tinnions performance last season and the performance of the team as a whole was un-acceptable.

Hope springs eternal however, we have made some very good additions. In a brief second of realism it should be remembered that Stewart wanted to come here and then subsequently played a big part in getting Bridges here. Thats obviously not attempting to take anything away from Tinnion, merely pointing out that without Stewarts personal desire to play for this football club the 2 highest profile summer acquisitions would probably not have been here.

Just on a general note in regards to you're rather pathetic 'cheap shot', aimed at those of us who felt last season was poor/un-acceptable and said so - i assume based on you're comments you expected people to continually be slating Tinnion throughout the summer, criticising his signings to give you a constant reminder that some people felt we underachieved last year. And here i was thinking negative comments were not welcome!

Now that the squad is his, it will be interesting to see anyone not giving it 100% i.e. DC/TD. Fingers crossed hey. I'd expect that Van Nistle went to Man Utd becuase they were a big club and he was on good £, it is rarely down to the manager enticing people, even when DC says it is...

However this is now Tinmans squad, his training regimes etc, and the pressure is on him to deliver.

Your question above suggests that Tinman has already proved his critics wrong, and whilst his dealings in the transfer market cannot be faulted, I think most will reserve judgement of his managerial skills until the REAL football is underway.

I don't want to sound grumpy or pessimistic, and as i have said already I'd love Tinman to succeed, but at the moment we have still acheived nothing.

Yes we have added some exciting ingredients, but, the proof of the pudding is in the eating...

The pressure was on him last season ,if we don't go up next seaon we will the next as the squad would have gelled but i think tinnion wont be in charge to see that

Here's one of them.

id say 7th for a first time manager is preety good and as i think Tinnion deserved more than whinning half wits having a go cus they thought they could do better really should go watch the rovers

I stand by my views, i felt that around January/Feburary last year he should have gone.................

I'm a patient man when it comes to managers...........................

All of six months!!!!

God help you when you become impatient!

id say 7th for a first time manager is preety good and as i think Tinnion deserved more than whinning half wits having a go cus they thought they could do better really should go watch the rovers

I certainly didnt and wouldnt suggest i could do any better.

However with the squad at his disposal (a squad that had jut finished 3rd, not losing to any of the top 6 teams in the league bar the play-off final) 7th was extremely poor. Granted that team was disrupted by the relationship BT held with some of his players, notably TD and DC, but ive said it before and ill say it again;

If you would have asked any City fan what they felt BT should have achieved in his first year of management when he was appointed they would have expected better things than 7th. Indeed the notion that we may not finish in the play-offs, considering our squad and the pathetic standard of the league would have brought dismissive laughter.

In regards to standard of the league and the ability of our squad last year was the best opportunity i have seen us have of getting out of this league since we returned to it.

All of six months!!!!

God help you when you become impatient!

Brian Tinnion was the first manager i have ever said should get the sack.

I guess that speaks volumes for the despair i felt at consecutive home losses to Chesterfield and Walsall.

Point made very well.

I am looking forward to watching Bridges & Stewart as they are going to be class in this division.

But as a team we have to wait to as you say the 'REAL' football gets underway.

There will no excuses.

Pre-season activity has been interesting & now it's down to tactics & motivation.

For Gods sake last season was dire, The football was dire, The signings were dire, Tactics were dire and so were performances, I'm sure most detractors last season were upset by the fact that Tinnion appeared to suggest that promotion would be something of a breeze, Stop trying to spin last season into anything other than what it was DIRE.

People were and are entitled to expect better than last season.

And people are also entitled (even if they slated (as I did) the manager last season) to feel excited about the coming season, That's what we do virtually every season.

At the end of last seasons debacle, I tried to focus on the positives and they were:-Lita and the introduction of the academy kids and now the positives appear to be quality signings (although Bridges is a gamble and fair play to him for backing his judgemant on this one) and also clearing the decks of hopefully all of the dead wood.

You are only entitled to an opinion - if it is the same as robbored.

And totally agree, last season was dire & was full of excuse's.

Lets hope upon hope that that is well behind us.

But I won't get carried away just yet.

Very excited about having Bridges & Stewart.

I am looking forward to watching Bridges & Stewart as they are going to be class in this division.

But as a team we have to wait to as you say the 'REAL' football gets underway.

There will no excuses.

Pre-season activity has been interesting & now it's down to tactics & motivation.

For once a RichieB posting with which I concur.

I am more excited about the coming season than any since the season after we last got promoted.

Bridges and Marcus are obviously class and well done to the manager and the directors for doing what was necessary to bring them here.

There's a definite buzz about the club. Even most of those with doubts about Tinman's abilities as a manager generally agree that he's made some good signings this summer, and not just the Big Two.

Now it's up to his motivation, team selection and tactics. He's got the squad, but that will be of no consequence if he can't utilise it properly.

I, though, am very optimistic that he will do the business. Still, you'd expect that from a rose-tinted glass-wearing happy clapper like me. biggrin.gifchant6ez.gif

I, though, am very optimistic that he will do the business. Still, you'd expect that from a rose-tinted glass-wearing happy clapper like me.  biggrin.gif  chant6ez.gif

Now theres a saying I havn't heard for ages.

Have to be careful with my posts, as I may find myself on way to 'Spec-Savers' !!!

doh.gif

Here I am!

In my book the jury is still very much out, remember we had a terrific pre season last year until we came up against 2 decent sides, all we have done so far is taken away the two decent sides!!

We will see how the signings pan out over the season, this is Tinnions side, no more excuses

HOW I WOULD LOVE TO BE PROVED WRONG

Promotion or bust this year I think!!

Last season BT tried every system going depending on who he picked (4,4,2 - 5,3,2 etc) & on too many occassions good players were looking lost. Just hope this season he sticks to a system that the whole of the squad has to work to & every player knows whats expected when drafted into 'said posistion.

Archived