IGNORED

Our Support

richwwtk

I was browsing through a City website and happened to come across an honours list for City. I'm sure everyone knows that it consists of 3 lower division titles, a few minor cup wins and a couple of runners-up slots.

This got me trying to think of any clubs there might be that have been so spectacularly unsuccessful through their history whilst having a bigger fanbase, I can't think of one.

All my City supporting life it has been a popular complaint that the people of Bristol don't get behind the club the way they should, but isn't it almost a case of our support is a lot better than it should be considering the success of the club over the years?

I was browsing through a City website and happened to come across an honours list for City. I'm sure everyone knows that it consists of 3 lower division titles, a few minor cup wins and a couple of runners-up slots.

This got me trying to think of any clubs there might be that have been so spectacularly unsuccessful through their history whilst having a bigger fanbase, I can't think of one.

All my City supporting life it has been a popular complaint that the people of Bristol don't get behind the club the way they should, but isn't it almost a case of our support is a lot better than it should be considering the success of the club over the years?

I think you're right, we have a great support bearing in mind our lack of success. there are other clubs like Man City who have incredibly loyal fans despite some lean years but none really compares with BCFC.

Guest Laxly

I'd say we're the biggest unsuccesful club going, even the likes of Norwich and Ipswich have had top flight football in recent years and European competition.

Hull

At the moment yes, but this is a result of a brand new stadium, given something similar (god forbid) we'd be getting crowds of at least an equal size. Hull will need sustained success to keep the people coming otherwise they will soon be back down at the levels they were 3 or 4 years ago.

I'd also like to point out that my post wasn't intended to prove the 'size' of our club, I certainly don't believe we are a big club (whatever that means). I was merely trying to point out that the people of Bristol are sometimes unfairly criticised when it comes to the size of our support in comparison to the City that we play in.

edit - spelling

Guest Bristol Red Rover
Hull

"Hull City's highest ever finish came in 1910, when they came very close to winning promotion to the top flight, finishing third in the old Second Division. Level on points with second placed Oldham, Hull missed promotion on goal average by the slim margin of 0.29 of a goal. Hull have never finished as high since, and as a result, Hull is the largest city in Europe never to have had a club play in the top division."

* Division Three Champions 1965/66

* Division Three (North) Champions 1932/33. 1948/49

but they do have a good collection of runnersup trays innocent.gif

rofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gifrofl2br.gif

I personally think we are very poorly supported compared to the size of the city.Every one always says "well it's a rugby city".Despite that an average gate of about 11,000 for a city of @400,000 is poor.Look at preston,burnley,hull ,sheffield even Yeovil-town of 50,000 have home gate about 6,500.If one in 10 bristolians (not including the much larger catchment area around the city) came we'd have crowds of 40,000(not that we could fit them all in).So despite the lower league standard of football we've been served up in recent years-i do not think we are well supported.

I personally think we are very poorly supported compared to the size of the city.Every one always says "well it's a rugby city".Despite that an average gate of about 11,000 for a city of @400,000 is poor.Look at preston,burnley,hull ,sheffield even Yeovil-town of 50,000 have home gate about 6,500.If one in 10 bristolians (not including the much larger catchment area around the city) came we'd have crowds of 40,000(not that we could fit them all in).So despite the lower league standard of football we've been served up in recent years-i do not think we are well supported.

Preston, Burnley and Sheffield all have a longer history of success than we do.

Having just checked Hulls crowds from before their new stadium it would appear that their crowds were very similar in size to ours. A previous post also shows their trophy cabinet to be of a similar size to ours so I'd say that these are about the closest thing so far to us.

Still nobody with bigger crowds on less success though wink.gif

Guest Bristol Red Rover
Having just checked Hulls crowds from before their new stadium it would appear that their crowds were very similar in size to ours. .....

Still nobody with bigger crowds on less success though  wink.gif

But, for the last two seasons their crowds have been well above yours. And you've been runners up in Div 1 and recently in the top flight for 4 seasons. There's no comparison. Come on at least allow Hull one title laugh.gif

Guest Dorset Red
... our support is a lot better than it should be considering the success of the club over the years?

At last! A little realism in the forum.

Given that Brizzle City is one of football's perennial "also-rans", I'd rather be a "Swindle" supporter any day.

1 League Cup

1 Anglo-Italian Cup

1 Division 4 title (including a record points tally)

1 Division 2 title

2 Play-off final victories and a season in the Premiership

plus various other semi-finals and promotions (yes, AND relegations) over the last three decades.

Given that my team is not thought to be as "big" a club as yours, I don't feel any shame when I compare MY team's record to yours. smile.gif

At last! A little realism in the forum.

Given that Brizzle City is one of football's perennial "also-rans", I'd rather be a "Swindle" supporter any day.

1 League Cup

1 Anglo-Italian Cup

1 Division 4 title (including a record points tally)

1 Division 2 title

2 Play-off final victories and a season in the Premiership

plus various other semi-finals and promotions (yes, AND relegations) over the last three decades.

Given that my team is not thought to be as "big" a club as yours, I don't feel any shame when I compare MY team's record to yours. smile.gif

Swindon is a large town (it has mushroomed since WWII) with only one team, indeed the only professional team in the county and as you so gleefully point out, have won a few things, yet your support is utterly pathetic. The point being made here is that although City have won very little their crowds have been consistently good, all things considered.

Guest Bristol Red Rover
The point being made here is that although City have won very little their crowds have been consistently good, all things considered.

Agree about the Swindon support, but then it can be said that they have done really well given the support. Here, you can be praising of City's support, or given the size of the support, why have City done so poorly?

If you really want to get to the point, to assess support, you have to look at what average percentage of people from a catchment area that go to see a club. And take into account competition (rugby doesn't count!), the success of the club in league position and trophies, quality of the stadium - probably loads of other things.

In those terms City are probably doing no better than Briz Rovers, worse than Hull, better than Swindon. There must be a catchment area of over 500k for City alone - obviously the areas closer to the ground count more, but the potential is huge. You should be getting a regular 17k or so, even at this level, and at Prem level could be onto 40k+ easy.

Is it all down to poor boardroom management?

Just in case you're interested - Donny probably have a 200-300k catchment area, but loose lots of that to Leeds and Sheff Weds. Think that's beginning to change though.

Guest Fred Fjord

These things tend to be cyclical, more or less every side in the country has the potential for increasing attendances with a bit of success, similarly there can be a fall off for a poor side, especially if sustained.

So ten years ago you were averaging 7000+ whereas we were averaging 10,000+

I despise the people of Bath, but full credit to the 800 or so Bath City fans, they've never won much!

They have a big following for their league, although their numbers dropped last year to average about 550-600 a game. They have very good away support for their division too, i know a fair few Bath fans who are very committed.

Archived