IGNORED

"best Player At City We've Seen In 20 Years"

Robbored

The 5-1 defeat at Cambridge came in the 5th round. I remember that Chelsea game well. We'd just gone top of the league and it was a great team performance, but maybe owed a little bit to the quagmire pitch and the dodgy performance of Dave Beasant in the Chelsea goal.

Robbie Turner's first came from a weak long range shot from Andy Llewellin which Beasant craply spilt, Bob Taylor swung and totally missed the lose ball then Turner buried it. The second came from a typically mazy Dave Smith run and cross which Turner got on the end of after everyone had had a pop at it. And Mark Gavin got the third at the end.

There were a lot of lairy Chelsea types in suits behind us in the grandstand and it did kick off a bit over in the Dolman as well...I don't think they were expecting a CSF welcome on their dossy little trip to Bristol  cool.gif

good summary of the Chelsea game, but a slight lapse of memory for the Cambridge game.

0-0 at the gate, then the replay was 0-0 at full time, Dion Dublin scored straight from the kick off in extra time and Super Bob equalised for City. It finished 1-1 and we lost a coin toss to see where the 2nd replay would be played...we lost the toss and the subsequent match, 5-1 with Super Bob scoring our consolation goal.

CHR city.gif

According to one bloke at the open day this morning Michael Bridges is "the best player we've seen in a City shirt for 20 years".He couldn't stop going on about what class act Bridges is.

The appraisel is based on seeing him in two friendly matches.....

Who knows? maybe we'll all be saying the same thing by christmas.

Andy Cole has to be the best striker I've seen in a City shirt in the last 20 years. I would really love to be proved wrong by Marcus Stewart and Michael Bridges over the next season. farmer.gif

Royalist tyranny was ended in Bristol 360 years ago by Cromwell and Fairfax, let's hope that Stewart and Bridges can help end the tyranny of BCFC being anchored in this poxy division.

Up the City

Nah, the Mark Hughes who could hit a volley from one country to another whilst flying through the air...

United are my second team you see, watched a lot of them as I was growing up too.  By the time my favourite player of all time (Le Roi...) joined, I was already in love with football hence him not getting a mention.

i remember you always used to be mark hughs whilst smashing a ball against that garage wall by your house!!

Two for me

My boyhood hero at Ashton Gate was Alan Walsh.I was chuffed to pieces when I met the man yesterday.Posed for a photo with me too. dance.gif

At present it has to be Steve Phillips.Despite the criticism by some on his kicking or coming for crosses the man has pulled off some of the best saves Ive seen at the 'Gate' in the past 22 years.

My vote has to go with Alan Walsh and Bob Newman for mye arlier memories. Teh Walsh stepover could not be beaten! Also a yonug lad called Hawkins who always came on as a sub but never got the chance. Super player, anyone remember the lad!

Oh and you gota love Ralph Milne, one of the worst players in the shirt who Alex Fergurson bought from us!!!!

i remember you always used to be mark hughs whilst smashing a ball against that garage wall by your house!!

You have a very good memory.... if slightly disturbing given that I have no idea who you are, and I was about 10 at the time..... !

Archived