IGNORED

How Will The Inert Gas Fare This Season

WessexPest

What prospects for the Basements then?

Think this is their fifth season on the bottom rung now, which doesn't make our annual struggle to step up a level seem such a miserable failure after all...

I reckon they'll finish 14th although with any luck they'll be nearer the bottom than that.

Can't stand these City fans who say 'I hope Rovers get promoted so we can have our derby back and six points (tee hee!) guaranteed" NO.

Firstly, hopefully we will be in the Championship next season anyway and two, I never can wish the Gas good luck ever, even if it means the chance to beat them soundly again.

So good luck to Barnet, Carlisle, Torquay, Notts Co etc etc etc.

Purely because i'm bored, yet intrigued, if somebody came up to you today (let's say a witch with a crooked nose and a green face for the hell of it) and said she would cast a spell that will ensure promotion for us AND the gas this season would you take it or prefer to take our chances anyway and let them take theirs?

edit: btw, I apologise to any witch-knowing P.C. types for the stereo-type above. Another question on that; is it right that everybody feels the need to apologise for any sort of stereo-typing these days? unsure.gif

Purely because i'm bored, yet intrigued, if somebody came up to you today (let's say a witch with a crooked nose and a green face for the hell of it) and said she would cast a spell that will ensure promotion for us AND the gas this season would you take it or prefer to take our chances anyway and let them take theirs?

edit: btw, I apologise to any witch-knowing P.C. types for the stereo-type above.  Another question on that; is it right that everybody feels the need to apologise for any sort of stereo-typing these days?  unsure.gif

no we wouldn't take that.

rovers to go down this season

no we wouldn't take that.

rovers to go down this season

Seconded. Besides, if you knew we had been promoted by magic it would take the edge off the achievement wouldn't it? It's like editing Championship Manager so City players are all amazing players and City are the biggest club in the world so nobody ever wants to leave, believe me I've tried it and it leaves you cold!

Green-faced witches, hmmm....whatever did happen to Grotbags?

Well as I asked the question.

I would take promotion for both anytime.

Why?

1. I would love the guarantee that my season ticker next year is to watch opponents such as Leeds, Cardiff, Sheff Utd, Leicester etc. We are all optimistic now and rightly so, but, we may NOT be in the Championship next year! ohmy.gif

2. The sags will still be in an inferior league and would never survive in League I anyway, so it will only be a year before the deserved 2 league gap between us is restored! devil.gif

Definitely promotion for both - especially if they, say , won their League at a canter and we scraped into the playoffs, then turned round the final 2-1 after being 1-0 down going into injury time. They would be looking forward to the League derby matches only to have it dashed at the last minute, and they'd be really (I said a naughty word) off despite having just won the League.

I love that witch smile.gif

2. The sags will still be in an inferior league and would never survive in League I anyway, so it will only be a year before the deserved 2 league gap between us is restored!  devil.gif

It wouldn't be a 2 league gap being restored, it would be a 2 league gap appearing for the first time since the sags entered the league in 1920! In our entire histories since then we have never been further than one division apart

All I have to say is please god, let it happen this year. With any luck it would have the long term effect of making us the only choice for kids coming fresh to football in Bristol and giving companies looking for sponsorhip/investment a no brainer therefore driving the gap between our sides wider still

I would take promotion for both definitely, simply because my support of City far outweights my hatred of the Gas. Surely every other City fan would agree with that? city.gif

Heres another interesting one - If the same witch offered you another spell, would you take relegation to the basement, if it meant that the Sags went down to the Conference? I doubt that many of us would...

Interesting stuff.

Personally, I don't think the Gas are going to have a bad season. They won't be troubling the play-off spots but I can't see them being relegated.

I have a work colleague who is a Man U fan and he was saying recently how he wants Man City to get relegated and he would love it if they went bust. I pointed out to him that his passionate loathing of City is the very reason he would hate to see them relegated, let alone go out of existence. He'd have nothing left to hate. No rival fans to jeer or abuse of forums like this. No local derbies and the atmosphere/occasion that comes with it. Eventually he agreed with me that it wouldn't be quite the same unless Man U had opportunities to thrash their less worthy opponents at least twice a season to demonstrate superiority.

We don't really have the derby as a meaningful fixture now, largely because the Gas have been so awful for the last few seasons. Obviously every City fan wants us to be promoted but we seem to have mixed views about how well we want the Gas to do. I don't mind them doing moderately well, so long as City are successful!

to be honest i don't really care where the sags finish my main concern is where we finish in the league and i would take us both to get promotion as i think we have a very good chance in our own merit where as i think they will struggle next season forget the 2 leagues between us heres to the 3 league gulf.

Interesting stuff.

Personally, I don't think the Gas are going to have a bad season.  They won't be troubling the play-off spots but I can't see them being relegated.

I have a work colleague who is a Man U fan and he was saying recently how he wants Man City to get relegated and he would love it if they went bust.  I pointed out to him that his passionate loathing of City is the very reason he would hate to see them relegated, let alone go out of existence.  He'd have nothing left to hate.  No rival fans to jeer or abuse of forums like this.  No local derbies and the atmosphere/occasion that comes with it.  Eventually he agreed with me that it wouldn't be quite the same unless Man U had opportunities to thrash their less worthy opponents at least twice a season to demonstrate superiority.

We don't really have the derby as a meaningful fixture now, largely because the Gas have been so awful for the last few seasons.  Obviously every City fan wants us to be promoted but we seem to have mixed views about how well we want the Gas to do.  I don't mind them doing moderately well, so long as City are successful!

Well said. In an ideal world City would be 1st in the Premiership with Rovers trailing in our wake in 2nd smile.gif

Guest paulton rovers red

I like city to be promoted as champions(who wouldn't) and rovers to be top at christmas only to slowly and painfully slide down and miss out on the playoffs in the last game of the season. and for us to beat them in the ldv along the way

Bring on the new season!!!!!

Heres another interesting one - If the same witch offered you another spell, would you take relegation to the basement, if it meant that the Sags went down to the Conference? I doubt that many of us would...

Never; the feeling after relegation which many of us have felt is pure vile.

For those that haven't, barely missing out on promotion in the play-off final does not compare at all. Depression for a few days compared to depression for the entire summer and then some!

I would take the Gas coming up to League I with us just staying there in favour of both relegated one league!

Never; the feeling after relegation which many of us have felt is pure vile.

For those that haven't, barely missing out on promotion in the play-off final does not compare at all.  Depression for a few days compared to depression for the entire summer and then some!

I actually found losing the playoff final far more soul destroying than being relegated.

Walking out of Ashton Gate after that Birmingham defeat, had a kind of inevitability about it. We knew pretty much all season that we were sh!te and probably going down, thus had prepared ourselves for the worst months ago.

Narrowly missing out on promotion was much harder to take. An entire seasons hard work, hopes and dreams destroyed after one dodgy penalty and seing the delerious Brighton fans celebrating undeservedly - That was far far worse than relegation will ever be and I hope we never have to go through anything like that again.

I actually found losing the playoff final far more soul destroying than being relegated.

Walking out of Ashton Gate after that Birmingham defeat, had a kind of inevitability about it. We knew pretty much all season that we were sh!te and probably going down, thus had prepared ourselves for the worst months ago.

Narrowly missing out on promotion was much harder to take. An entire seasons hard work, hopes and dreams destroyed after one dodgy penalty and seing the delerious Brighton fans celebrating undeservedly - That was far far worse than relegation will ever be and I hope we never have to go through anything like that again.

Absolutely. I had accepted defeat on the relegation fight by Christmas, and as you say that Birmingham home game banged the final nail in our coffin.

The playoff final defeat was horrible. I was living in Cardiff at the time and my friends and I walked 30 minutes back to my house in complete silence. They grabbed their stuff and left for Bristol and apparently no one said anything until they reached the bridge!

I'd prefer both clubs to be as high up the football league as possible!

Were the 6th or 7th biggest city in the country and what is there to show for it? 2 teams from league 1 and league 2 which is a poor show really.

We know it will never change though with the $h!t council we have (maybe not so bad for you) - you haven't got many restrictions on your new stand have you? (If any). A decent council helping out sport goes a long way - look at Hull, Swansea etc..... then other clubs like Coventry.

But there we go; if we were to both get promoted this season (fat chance I know) that would raise Bristol's profile (in sporting terms) and there is potential with the size of Bristol.

Anyway you can get used to being beaten by Yeovil and we will get use to battling against Rochdale and Boston farmer.gif

Interesting. I can remember walking away from the Millennium having a laugh and a joke with some fans and basically feeling "yeah, figures"! Much like an expectation that once again we would play poorly when it mattered and be the nearly men yet again.

When we got relegated, I can just remember being in the foulest mood for weeks. Nothing or nobody could cheer me up. I kept re-playing the stupid mistakes and the gifted goals over again.

You need to note that is a shocker for me cos I, in general, can't join in the "what was the best goal last season" threads as I can virtually not remember any of them. Yet all these errors were so clear for weeks and months after!

Another thing to note, perhaps the strangest thing, was every home game me and my mate were there laughing at how poor we were. Like you said, we knew the writing was on the wall after a few weeks of the season! Still didn't prepare me for the moment when it happened though. WEIRD! blink.gif

Guest mesa boogie
Well said. In an ideal world City would be 1st in the Premiership with Rovers trailing in our wake in 2nd smile.gif

I'd have to agree with you, though I'd take being 17th in the Premiership and you being first.

Guest MaloneFM

Probably midtable. Then Twtakins would have had a gutful and swanned off.

Bring back Malcom Allison. With Dobbo as his assistant.

I don't want to see the go out of the league though. Its pointless. We are like Stan and Hilda Ogden. Or better still Morcambe and Wise. They go bust and dissapear (which to be honest will never happen) then we turn into Ernie Wise.

We are a great football club and we hate the..hang on let me get a map and a ruler...probably...Swindon...I think. Can you really say you detest a part time team of postmen and brickies that play in the Rymans league division 5 called Bristol Rovers?

When our backs were at the wall (oooh missis!) in the 1980's how many said 'right I'll jump ship a buy a blue and white shirt?' Well neither will they. Even if they play on the downs, and many say they are well suited for it now, they will still get a few hundred up in the trees watching them.

And supposing we get the league derbies back? More overtime for plod. More morons on here saying how they gave the OB a hard time with the Queens Own CSF Voulenteer division against the BS7 Muller road commandos.

When as we that go for the game know they are just a bunch of winkers that get on both sides tits. Imagine the 25th july only bigger, nastier and twice. Not that there will be as many tickets so freely available next time either.

So Bon Chance Le Gas! But not too much of the 'bon' eh?

Guest MaloneFM
You guys hate us because we're the dog ###t you cant't get off your shoe (still).

No no no dear boy.

We hate the doctor because he scapes it off the shoe and eats it.

What prospects for the Basements then?

Think this is their fifth season on the bottom rung now, which doesn't make our annual struggle to step up a level seem such a miserable failure after all...

I reckon they'll finish 14th although with any luck they'll be nearer the bottom than that.

Can't stand these City fans who say 'I hope Rovers get promoted so we can have our derby back and six points (tee hee!) guaranteed" NO.

Firstly, hopefully we will be in the Championship next season anyway and two, I never can wish the Gas good luck ever, even if it means the chance to beat them soundly again.

So good luck to Barnet, Carlisle, Torquay, Notts Co etc etc etc.

praying smiley.gif Down as low as they can go praying smiley.gif

Archived