IGNORED

Phew

Dave L

Having been away on holiday, this was my first match of the season. Clearly results haven't been good so far, and I was more nervous than I expected to be beforehand. This really was a must win game.

And after half an hour I couldn't believe it. Four nil, and Vale hadn't had a kick. Admittedly they were shocking at the back, but we looked like scoring every time we went forward - in fact, we pretty much did. Skuse and Wilkshire controlled the middle, Murray and Brown looking strong on the flanks, Brooker on fire, Heywood winning everything at the back.

Then a mad fifteen minutes and we were lucky not to come in at half time at four all. Partridge turned to stone and let the scorer waltz past him, and Mickey Bell won his first header in at least 8 years to score their second. Two superb saves by Steve Philips and it was half time.

Second half we regrouped, and although they had most of the possession we played a pretty solid 4-5-1 and ground out a result, which in the end was the most important thing.

Lots of positives, not least Steve Brooker who was immense today, Stewart's first goal and a return to form for Scott Murray. But we lost shape too easily at 4 nil and gifted them two goals, letting them back into the game when they should have been dead and buried. At a point at which we should have been bossing the game, we surrendered possession too easily and threw Vale a lifeline.

But most importantly, some goals and three points, and any of us would have seetled for that before the game.

Having been away on holiday, this was my first match of the season. Clearly results haven't been good so far, and I was more nervous than I expected to be beforehand. This really was a must win game.

And after half an hour I couldn't believe it. Four nil, and Vale hadn't had a kick. Admittedly they were shocking at the back, but we looked like scoring every time we went forward - in fact, we pretty much did. Skuse and Wilkshire controlled the middle, Murray and Brown looking strong on the flanks, Brooker on fire, Heywood winning everything at the back.

Then a mad fifteen minutes and we were lucky not to come in at half time at four all. Partridge turned to stone and let the scorer waltz past him, and Mickey Bell won his first header in at least 8 years to score their second. Two superb saves by Steve Philips and it was half time.

Second half we regrouped, and although they had most of the possession we played a pretty solid 4-5-1 and ground out a result, which in the end was the most important thing.

Lots of positives, not least Steve Brooker who was immense today, Stewart's first goal and a return to form for Scott Murray. But we lost shape too easily at 4 nil and gifted them two goals, letting them back into the game when they should have been dead and buried. At a point at which we should have been bossing the game, we surrendered possession too easily and threw Vale a lifeline.

But most importantly, some goals and three points, and any of us would have seetled for that before the game.

I take it you missed or ignored the two decent saves from Phillips in the second half and a couple of last ditch tackles from the much maligned Fortune. Today really does need to be improved on if we are to go anywhere this season but, don't get me wrong, I will take the points all the same.

I take it you missed or ignored the two decent saves from Phillips in the second half and a couple of last ditch tackles from the much maligned Fortune. Today really does need to be improved on if we are to go anywhere this season but, don't get me wrong, I will take the points all the same.

What really pleased me is the fact that the team are starting to gel at last and there were signs of good communication between Brooker and Stewart today. With those two up front and with Bridges in reserve there are sure to be many more goals to come this season. farmer.gif

Up the City

The jury's still out on our midfield and our defending of set pieces. Two problems that Tinnion hasn't managed to solve in the 15 months he's been in charge.

I've walked away from the Gate more happy with some draws I've seen than the win yesterday.

It was an empty win, with few positives. I said before the game that if Tinnion was learning, the performance would be just as important as the win - it wasn't.

Vale made us look god in the first half hour, then woke up. We were outplayed for the majority of the rest of the game.

The jury's still out on our midfield and our defending of set pieces.  Two problems that Tinnion hasn't managed to solve in the 15 months he's been in charge.

I've walked away from the Gate more happy with some draws I've seen than the win yesterday.

It was an empty win, with few positives.  I said before the game that if Tinnion was learning, the performance would be just as important as the win - it wasn't.

Vale made us look god in the first half hour, then woke up.  We were outplayed for the majority of the rest of the game.

So you would of been happy with a great performance and a loss then blink.gif weird dunno.gifbanghead.gif

The jury's still out on our midfield and our defending of set pieces.  Two problems that Tinnion hasn't managed to solve in the 15 months he's been in charge.

As far as defending set-pieces goes I think Phillips is the main cause of the problem.The defenders don't know whether he's coming for the ball or staying on his line and consequently are unsure of what action to take.Look at the first goal at B'uff last week - it was a case of "after you,Claude" when the ball was floated in at an angle and they all missed it.Phillips should have been out of his goal to catch or punch that ball.

Thats sad! Three points is a better feeling than one...

It was an empty win, with few positives.  I said before the game that if Tinnion was learning, the performance would be just as important as the win - it wasn't.

4 goals not positive? Three points not positive? What we saw for 30 mins yesterday was what City are potentially capable of.Sure, they didn't keep it up but this is a new team and over time that will improve. I saw real signs yesterday that this team will get better and better.

Vale made us look god in the first half hour, then woke up.  We were outplayed for the majority of the rest of the game.

At 0-4 down Vale no option but to go gung-ho which is what they did and that combined with the City players taking their foot of the pedal led to thier two goals.City also lost Heywood and then Brown to illness and injury around half time and that upset the balance.Vale did play City off the park at certain times but not for the whole of the second 45 as you seem suggest.Plus City had a couple of decent chances to score a 5th in the sceond half but couldn't take them.

It wasn't a convinceing performance overall but the signs are there....and I feel far more positive after yesterday tha I did this time last week.

If that happens for the rest of the season, then I sure as well won't be disapointed if we had already won the game in the first 30 minutes, and still win by 2 goals.

Archived