IGNORED

Steve Phillips

Keepers Ball

Yes he bloody well is.

The bloke saved us at least four times today.

And any idiot that claims he's just an "Average keeper for this Division" is talking out the back of his elbow !

I'm also going to add this "Flapper Phillips" crap has to to stop.Some of you Numpties claim he never comes for crosses and yet to be tagged "Flapper" he actually needs to be "flapping at crosses".Contradiction there don't you think ?

Whilst i'm on the subject of steve not commanding his area I'm going to give you all a choice.Which would you prefer ?

a) A keeper that commands his area well and regularly cuts out crosses with good timing but not exactly the quickest or agile ?

or

b)A keeper that is'nt so gifted in commanding of the area BUT is quick,agile AND with razor sharp reflexes ?

I'm bloody damn sure I'd prefer answer "b".And NO theres no way in this division are you going to get all the above attributes because if Phillips had them you can be damned sure he'd be plying his trade in the Premiership.

Yes he bloody well is.

And any idiot that claims he's just an "Average keeper for this Division" is talking out the back of his elbow !

I'm also going to add this "Flapper Phillips" crap has to to stop.Some of you Numpties claim he never comes for crosses and yet to be tagged "Flapper"  he actually needs to be "flapping at crosses".Contradiction there don't you think ?

Whilst i'm on the subject of steve not commanding his area I'm going to give you all a choice.Which would you prefer ?

a) A keeper that commands his area well and regularly cuts out crosses with good timing but not exactly the quickest or agile ?

or

b)A keeper that is'nt so gifted in commanding of the area BUT is quick,agile AND with razor sharp reflexes ?

I'm bloody damn sure I'd prefer answer "b".And NO theres no way in this division are you going to get all the above attributes because if Phillips had them you can be damned sure he'd be plying his trade in the Premiership.

Ditto

Numpties!

Yes he bloody well is.

I'm also going to add this "Flapper Phillips" crap has to to stop.Some of you Numpties claim he never comes for crosses and yet to be tagged "Flapper"  he actually needs to be "flapping at crosses".Contradiction there don't you think ?

or

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Lots of keepers are agile and good shot stoppers as Phillips is but what irks me is the amout of OTT praise Phillips gets when his all round game is deeply flawed.

Sure he pulled some fine saves today but he also dithered at a cross that fell into the six yard box and left it to his defence - and then yelled at them when it was his ball all along.He makes too many mistakes and the defenders don't have confidence in his decision making.

He's an average Division 1 goalkeeper at best.

Yes he bloody well is.

or

Good shout!! how many points has phillips saved us every season. the guy is priceless.

Englands No.1, Englands Englands No.1!!

Phillips sent the gas down la la la la...

city.gif

Lots of keepers are agile and good shot stoppers as Phillips is but what irks me is the amout of OTT praise Phillips gets when his all round game is deeply flawed.

Sure he pulled some fine saves today but he also dithered at a cross that fell into the six yard box and left it to his defence - and then yelled at them when it was his ball all along.He makes too many mistakes and the defenders don't have confidence in his decision making.

You being the authority on goalkeepers then? Manuel Almunia and Jens Lehmann, absolute perfection. wink.gif

An Arsenal fan talking about average goalkeepers. rofl2br.gif

Phillips is a very good keeper and with more experience and development could become one of the best keepers city have had. Today's matchday programme stated he has made 146 successive league appaearances - let's hope there are many more to come!

All for all you who nicknamed him "flapper" - would you not be pulling your hair out like he was at times today with a defence who aren't always trying to tackle the oppostion and clear the ball away as soon as possible?

irks me is the amout of OTT praise Phillips gets
Yeah you were rubbish today Phillips. Them 4/5 saves today were flukes.

Yes it would be fantastic if he caught everthing that landed in our area, but if he did - he would have been playing at a higher level ages ago.

Well done Mr Phillips

Trust the voice of reason to brush over the numerous fine saves that actually helped us win the game today. All of the people who call him average never suggest a sensible replacement. Paul Robinson would be an excellent replacement but not very likely is it? I thought Pogliacomi was going to make a top keeper at one stage but he is now off to Blackpool I believe - doesn't really suggest he is top drawer does it. Why can't people accept that until we come across a top notch young keeper, we have a decent League 1 keeper who was picked by his peers in the PFA team a couple of seasons ago (obviously pro footballers know less than the Sentient Sage) and try and get someone to challenge him for his place.

Pogliacomi for starters

Fair enough, but by stating Phillips is average implies that there are several better keepers in our division. I personally wouldn't swap him for any of them. "Flapper" - don't make I laugh. He's saved us on more occasions than I care to remember. I've been watching City for 30 years & the only better keeper I've seen down at AG was Ray Cashley

Like I said earlier.....YOU are talking out of the back of your elbow AND a Numpty !

Yes he bloody well is.

I'm also going to add this "Flapper Phillips" crap has to to stop.Some of you Numpties claim he never comes for crosses and yet to be tagged "Flapper" he actually needs to be "flapping at crosses".Contradiction there don't you think ?

or

I'm bloody damn sure I'd prefer answer "b".And NO theres no way in this division are you going to get all the above attributes because if Phillips had them you can be damned sure he'd be plying his trade in the Premiership

Good post. It really really annoys me when people have a go at Phillips. Yes he makes mistakes, but show me a goalkeeper who doesn't- they all do! For his few flaws, he more than makes up for them by being a great keeper. Phillips is quality city.gif

Good post. It really really annoys me when people have a go at Phillips. Yes he makes mistakes, but show me a goalkeeper who doesn't- they all do! For his few flaws, he more than makes up for them by being a great keeper. Phillips is quality city.gif

I disagree. The reason he has picked up this nickname is because when he comes for a cross, which is very rare, he oftens flaps at it. No-one is an idiot for suggesting or thinking he is an average league 1 keeper. The fact that no-one has come in for him or that he is never under pressure at City suggest to be me that he is exactly this. Also, if he came out and caught crosses from set pieces etc he wouldn't have to make 75% of the saves he makes. Quality shot-stopper no dubt, but if we had a keeper who can organise the defence, catch corners/free icks and general crosses we would conceed alot less IMO.

No-one is an idiot for suggesting or thinking he is an average league 1 keeper

Did i say anyone was an idiot? dunno.gif

The fact that no-one has come in for him or that he is never under pressure at City suggest to be me that he is exactly this.

I am pretty sure Crewe offered 400,000 plus just after he started playing for us, and we flatly refused it. We have tied him down on long contracts to ensure he stays with us. He is never under pressure to be dropped?? Surely that is a good thing! By that virtue, Gerrard is rubbish for Liverpool as he is never under pressure for his place- the fact that Phillips has no competition is because he is a good keeper, and we know we have a good GK, so why change it?

Did i say anyone was an idiot? dunno.gif

I am pretty sure Crewe offered 400,000 plus just after he started playing for us, and we flatly refused it. We have tied him down on long contracts to ensure he stays with us. He is never under pressure to be dropped?? Surely that is a good thing! By that virtue, Gerrard is rubbish for Liverpool as he is never under pressure for his place- the fact that Phillips has no competition is because he is a good keeper, and we know we have a good GK, so why change it?

SOrry it was Suicidal RED who said that! Not aimed at you. He is never under pressure to be dropped because there is no other keeper puttin him under pressure. I think we should have an all round keeper- that's my opinion.

SOrry it was Suicidal RED who said that!

No problemo city.gif

He is never under pressure to be dropped because there is no other keeper puttin him under pressure. I think we should have an all round keeper- that's my opinion

Do you want this keeper to take over from Phillips in goal or just be a decent reserve? Would you want Phillips dropped?

I am surprised that you would want him replaced....surely there are other areas of the team/squad which need to be adressed, not the GK position....do you really think he is THAT bad?

I'd have a better central midfielder than Wilkshire in before I thought about Phillips but we need some sort of competition soon for him.

Yes he bloody well is.

or

I had a feeling you were going to post this Stew. Like i said yesterday, if he could do it all he would be in the prem, not in this poxy div.

Archived