IGNORED

No More Heroes

SE23Red

Thinking about how poor the atmosphere has been so far this season I realised that one thing that is lacking is an emotional 'bond' between supporters and the players. There have been so many comings and goings in the last 12 months that watching City at the moment is not a team packed with players associated with any of the clubs recent history.

It is quite easy to understand people who are walking away from the club, there is much less to be loyal to now than for a long time.

Yes the pre-match ritual is the same, the view from the seat is the same, and the team I support is the same, but those players are players I have no shared experiences with, LDV wins, near-misses in the play-offs, the Hartlepool play-off game at home, they weren't there for any of them. They could be anyone's players.

Over the summer we lost Leroy, Mickey, Tommy and Danny all who had been part of some of those good times. During last season Tinman retired, Matty Hill left etc etc What we have left is Steve Phillips (he sent the gas down!), Louis and Scotty (but they both left since delivering any great memories which kind of breaks the 'bond' a bit). The rest of them are just a group of players that I hope do well.

What we need is one or two of these experiences, Bridges scoring a winner in the 90th at Swansea or something to really start to establish that bond with the team again.

I'm not much of a singer - how many of our players have their own song these days? A couple of years ago each one would get a song before kickoff at an away game. It is no wonder it is so quiet at the moment - it is like a football stadium full of strangers getting to know each other and the awkward silence that brings.

I think that atmospheres in all grounds not just ours hasnt been as good as it once was i have watched most of the live league games that have been on tele and the atmosphere has been rubbish once we get going and we play a few big games like yeovil and swansea then the fans will be loud but i agree with the point you made about every player having there song before kickoff we really should start thinking of some and do it again chant6ez.gif

Archived