IGNORED

Great Britain Football Team

Sirben

As there now seems to be an increasing chance of there being a 2012 olympic GB footy team just thought i would ask if there were to be a GB team tomorrow who would would you select in it??

Would it be mainly England players or would some of the Welsh make it perhaps? Partridge for instance? whistling.gif

Interested to see opinions

Its a tough one!! I would go,

Given

G Neville

Terry

Ferdinand

A Cole

Gerrard

Keane

Lampard

Duff

Rooney

Giggs

Ala chelsea

Or maybe drop a defender and put owen in as a 3-5-2

As there now seems to be an increasing chance of there being a 2012 olympic GB footy team just thought i would ask if there were to be a GB team tomorrow who would would you select in it??

Would it be mainly England players or would some of the Welsh make it perhaps? Partridge for instance?  whistling.gif

Given

G Neville

Terry

Ferdinand

A Cole

Gerrard

Keane

Lampard

Duff

Rooney

Giggs

Ala chelsea

Not too sure an England team plus Giggs would count as a representative GB team!

But I see where you're coming from. There's not exactly a lot of telent coming through the ranks in Scotland and Northern Ireland that can really compare with the England team.

The olympics is an under23 competition with 3(i think) overage players allowed too.

Name the good under 23 players in the other home nations? Infact it's hard to name our own!

Jenas, Defoe(just i think), Rooney, Downing, D Bent, Carson. Struggling for defenders G Johnson, Taylor at Newcastle um er

I didn't really know the rules about the olympics, which made it difficult to "pick" a team.

Also, though Ireland were completely separate but didn't want to say in case I was wrong!

I'm short on suggestions; Murdock from N. ireland isn't a bad defender but other than that I would have to stick with Giggs and various current England players. Maybe put a couple of token Scots on the bench (but which two?)

The olympics is an under23 competition with 3(i think) overage players allowed too.

Name the good under 23 players in the other home nations? Infact it's hard to name our own!

Jenas, Defoe(just i think), Rooney, Downing, D Bent, Carson. Struggling for defenders G Johnson, Taylor at Newcastle um er

Lita?!

Routledge.

I'm short on suggestions; Murdock from N. ireland isn't a bad defender but other than that I would have to stick with Giggs and various current England players. Maybe put a couple of token Scots on the bench (but which two?)

I wouldn't pick any Scots, they aren't good enough! At a push, Fletcher of United may get in, but only if there was a LOT of injuries!

Graham Alexander of PNE and Scotland is pretty good. Admittedly he made an unfortunate and uncharacteristic error against Italy but he is normally a very consistent and solid performer. Also, on recent evidence Scotland's keeper would do better than some Englishmen between the posts.

Also, Kenny Miller is better than Emile Heskey!

Keith Gillespie of Northern Ireland is a capable player but I suspect due to his age he would be excluded from any olympic team.

Kenny Miller is 25 and Alexander is 30 something so both too old for olympic duty.

No Scottish keeper would get within 500 miles of the England squad because although our current selection are pathetic theirs are so, so much worse. Did i say keeper? i meant player.

Who cares if the entire team is English we'd be supporting them as Bristish. I didn't not support colin Jackson because he's Welsh, we should pick the best squad available.

It's a completely irrelevant discussion because of the age issue.

The next olympics will be in 2008, so we'd have to be looking at players who would be young enough then.

It would be impossible to "pick" a team because it would be difficult to guage how the various talents of young eligible players would develop over the next three years.

Also, it goes in roundabouts anyway. If we were discussing this in the late 70s, we would be considering a large number of Scottish players. If in the early 80s, I'm sure we'd be considering some Northern Irish players.

Guest scrumpy dare

Would it be mainly England players or would some of the Welsh make it perhaps? Partridge for instance?  whistling.gif

Given

G Neville

Terry

Ferdinand

A Cole

Gerrard

Keane

Lampard

Duff

Rooney

Giggs

Ala chelsea

duff is irish fool rofl2br.gif

Well, I did say Gillespie was good.

Northern ireland were terrific tonight. I imagnine in the next few days people on here will be saying how awful england were, but credit should go to Northern ireland. Hughes, Taylor and Gillespie were immense and David Healy is a decent forward. Also fancy the substitute striker (whose name escapes me).

Scotland also tonight did well, Kenny Miller being the inspiration. Like I said. Well, almost...

If we had a GB team, they would have to play as, well, a team. Which is what England can't do as well as Northern Ireland.

Archived