IGNORED

The Red Card Incident

culverhays

I don't think the ball was "in play" as the ref hadn't blown his whistle.

The ball was in play, the ref had blown for us to take the freekick and then once it had been knocked into the middle, the ref blows again for the foul.

I mentioned this on Saturday to a few people I was watching it with.

So as far as I'm aware, it should have been a penalty!!

The ball was in play, the ref had blown for us to take the freekick and then once it had been knocked into the middle, the ref blows again for the foul.

I mentioned this on Saturday to a few people I was watching it with.

So as far as I'm aware, it should have been a penalty!!

Your right, the ball was in play, therefore it should have been a penalty.

Apparently the commentators on TV were puzzled why it wasn't a pen aswell. They said something like 'Bridges stayed on his feet to be fair. Maybe if he had gone down... But who would have taken it?! Gillespie I think?'

• Admin

Was interested about this so have just watched the incident back.

The referee is CLEARLY heard blowly his whistle to take the free kick (meaning the game has re-started), but before Scott Brown kicks the ball the ref has blown his whistle for a second time after seeing the incident. So YES it SHOULD have been a penalty.

The swing was aimed at Michael Bridges, the interesting thing just before the free kick is taken there is a close up on Bridges you can see him talking at the defender "It Appears" by his expression he is winding him up - so maybe the player just reacted to that....

It is safe to say the sun got to the ref Saturday as there were many other strange decisions given by him.

The referee is CLEARLY heard blowly his whistle to take the free kick (meaning the game has re-started), but before Scott Brown kicks the ball the ref has blown his whistle for a second time after seeing the incident. So YES it SHOULD have been a penalty.

Unfortunately having gained my referees level I certficate last year, the ball is not in play when the ref blows his whistle. It is only back in play after it has traveled it's full circle. Therefore it pains me to say it but the ref was correct on this occasion.

The swing was aimed at Michael Bridges, the interesting thing just before the free kick is taken there is a close up on Bridges you can see him talking at the defender "It Appears" by his expression he is winding him up - so maybe the player just reacted to that....

It is safe to say the sun got to the ref Saturday as there were many other strange decisions given by him.

i thought the ball wasnt in play. so then cos the ref get the wrong discision in an international they replay it. why don't they reply our game??? answers on a post card please.

• Admin
Unfortunately having gained my referees level I certficate last year, the ball is not in play when the ref blows his whistle. It is only back in play after it has traveled it's full circle. Therefore it pains me to say it but the ref was correct on this occasion.

Normally I would have a impulse to hate you being a ref, but I will take my hat of to you and stand corrected on this one. dunno.gif

Spot on No9. It is amazing how many people who watch and play the game do not know many of the rules, myself included (although I did know that one).

Normally I would have a impulse to hate you being a ref, but I will take my hat of to you and stand corrected on this one. dunno.gif

Trust me I am not a fully qualified ref yet as I also hate them with a passion (My disciplinary record will vouch for that) It was just something I am looking at when my playing days are over - (Have you seen how much they get paid these days !?!?

Spot on No9. It is amazing how many people who watch and play the game do not know many of the rules, myself included (although I did know that one).

I also find it quite amazing how many refs do not know many of the rules !!!

It is amazing how many people who watch and play the game do not know many of the rules

I agree.

I remember watching an England game on the TV once years ago with Brian Clough as co-commentator.

The actual commentator was confused about why a free kick had been given from a Goal Kick (the ball had not left the Penalty Box before it was played by an outfield player... or something like that).

Good old Clough starting his comment saying... "Well if you knew the rules of the game..."

Brillant TV, although I don't remember him being asked to commentate much after that!!!

Archived