IGNORED

Graham Taylor

bcfcchris2016

according to one of the articles in The Sun today, it says Graham Taylor in one of the canidates to be the new Bristol City manager. Although he did do bad as England manager and Aston Villa a few years back. He did do well with Watford a few years ago. Took them from League One to Premiership in just 2 seasons. He is not on my favourite list for next manager but Taylor would be good i reckon for this league.

according to one of the articles in The Sun today, it says Graham Taylor in one of the canidates to be the new Bristol City manager. Although he did do bad as England manager and Aston Villa a few years back. He did do well with Watford a few years ago. Took them from League One to Premiership in just 2 seasons. He is not on my favourite list for next manager but Taylor would be good i reckon for this league.

Did bad at Villa? He got 'em promoted back to the old First Division at the first attempt, and almost won the title the following year. He got the England job on the back of his achievements at both Watford and Villa. Although England was patently beyond his talents, his domestic record is very good.

I'd also point out that although Tinnion is credited with giving Leroy Lita his chance, Taylor gave opportunities to David Platt, Luther Blissett, John Barnes, and Alan McInally.

I'd give a welcome to whoever took the City managers job, but if Taylor took the job I could even get optimistic about promotion this season

Well, Taylor is known famously for his "Turnip" description. Maybe he'll become a "Carrot" if he joins the club!!

Taylor strikes me as a typical English club manager; good for the lower divisions but not much cop in the Premiership.

So if Taylor came to City I'd be happy, unless he then did something daft like get the club promoted to the Prem. Then he'd have to go.

Guest routabout

I agree on the Taylor front, grudgingly. To me, Taylor's much publicised comment, "Thank you very much you have just cost me my job...", as England manager was a major blot on his copy book. Quite aside from the tabloid led Turnip hysteria, that moment made me hate him with a passion. However, he does have an excellent track record and does fit the moulds of 'been there done it, proven track record', 'experienced old head' and 'established name' who some of our glamour boys should damn well respect.

I may not like him, but I would feel quietly confident if he took the reins.

Did bad at Villa? He got 'em promoted back to the old First Division at the first attempt, and almost won the title the following year. He got the England job on the back of his achievements at both Watford and Villa. Although England was patently beyond his talents, his domestic record is very good.

I'd also point out that although Tinnion is credited with giving Leroy Lita his chance, Taylor gave opportunities to David Platt, Luther Blissett, John Barnes, and Alan McInally.

I'd give a welcome to whoever took the City managers job, but if Taylor took the job I could even get optimistic about promotion this season

David Platt? Wasn't that Dario Gradi at Crewe?

Taylor, strange one, doesn't exactly excite to see his name written down as a likely candidate.

Having said that, if he WAS appointed and we started to actually hear him talk about his plans for City, i get the feeling he could be inspirational.

Could well be his last hurrah in management and the possibility of taking a floundering club like City up, and up again, would be a great way to finish.

Guest rednick_74

Graham Taylor would be excellent..

but surely hed want around 200k a year maybe more..

would SL be prepared to pay that sort of money??

i think it would be worth it if he could get us up.

rather than taking the cheap option again..

city.gifcity.gif

Guest routabout

city.gif  city.gif

Which is still a hell of a lot less than some of the higher earners in the first team. Think about it.

I wouldn't be baulking at the manager's wage, if he has genuine potential to get us up in two seasons at the most. The promotion alone would repay his wages. To me the manager is paid a lot less than many players, yet in my opinion is the most important person. As with many things, pay peanuts, you get monkeys. (Except in Peter Reid's case, he prefers Grade A bananas) wink.gif

David Platt? Wasn't that Dario Gradi at Crewe?

Taylor, strange one, doesn't exactly excite to see his name written down as a likely candidate.

Having said that, if he WAS appointed and we started to actually hear him talk about his plans for City, i get the feeling he could be inspirational.

Could well be his last hurrah in management and the possibility of taking a floundering  club like City up, and up again, would be a great way to finish.

I don't think Graham Taylor will come here - he is middle aged and must have a comfortable lifestyle with commentaries etc...

The biggest problem we have with the old and big names is our location.

Well, Taylor is known famously for his "Turnip" description.  Maybe he'll become a "Carrot" if he joins the club!!

Taylor strikes me as a typical English club manager; good for the lower divisions but not much cop in the Premiership.

So if Taylor came to City I'd be happy, unless he then did something daft like get the club promoted to the Prem. Then he'd have to go.

Come on, that's a bit unfair. Even Alex ferguson and Jose Mourinho wouldn't have kep Watford in the Premiership. It was an achievement getting there in the first place.

People also forget what he did with Watford in the 80s. And then with Villa. You can't say he's a poor top flight manager. Statistics tell a different story.

That was all a long time ago now. And Premiership expereince won't really matter at City anyway (for the time being). Although he wouldn't be my preferred choice, if he's interested in the job I'm sure he would do very well here.

Guest I bleed red 'n' white

great idea lets get graham taylor THEN and only THEN the board may build a second tier on our stands

city.gif  city.gif

A Figure is touted and then threads appear saying 'oh yes excellent then' as if the figure is gospel Hmm, I bet there's a smilie on here that conveys laughter but I'm too lazy to look for it.!!!

who knows what he would cost if he wanted to come but for sure SL would probably agree something like a decent salary with a much bigger bonus for getting us promoted this season.

Guest North Street
Come on, that's a bit unfair.  Even Alex ferguson and Jose Mourinho wouldn't have kep Watford in the Premiership.  It was an achievement getting there in the first place.

People also forget what he did with Watford in the 80s.  And then with Villa.  You can't say he's a poor top flight manager.  Statistics tell a different story.

That was all a long time ago now.  And Premiership expereince won't really matter at City anyway (for the time being).  Although he wouldn't be my preferred choice, if he's interested in the job I'm sure he would do very well here.

I remember too well what this man along with others [Francis,Beck, Graham, Wilkinson] did with Charles Hughes [brazil were wrong] thoery of "pomo". English football went backwards for a decade when these men were employed and Watford along with Becks Cambridge were the worst.City might as well play on concrete with this bloke in charge as the grass would be redundant.I bet Taylor would love Clayton Fortune till he realised he can't head it and as Phillipps that distribution [ahem] would never be high or long enough.It's like Dicks, Jordan, Ward & Cooper never existed on here, the whooshers play North of the River chaps sad.gif

I would love to see Graham Taylor and Luther Blissett at AG.

Anyone see these two on Skyone's The Match?  Really nice bloke but you certainly didn't want to get on the wrong side of him, he seemed very good as motivating as well.

The Match is back on Sky next month. Graham Taylor might already be contracted to do that so it might be a problem.

Guest MaloneFM

Gather round uncle Roger for a moment will you?

Uncle Roger has MET Graham Taylor...recently. Mrs Malone as I may have mentioned follows the glory hornet boys (if you ask 'who' please leave now). They have these family fun days and stuff and Mrs Malone dragged me kicking and whining to one they had In the Harlequin centre in Watford one sunday.

What he was doing there god only knows but he was doing his uncle Graham act. Upstaged Boothroyd and a few players with his 'just popped along' schtick.

Bloody good he is at it too! Mrs Malone natch went all gooey eyed and had a picture taken with him. At the same time down the M4 the figure of fun later to become the fallen messiah was still at the helm. The Swansea game hadn't happened yet.

After witnessing much ass kissing by the locals Mrs Malone kindly pointed out the crest on my polo shirt to him and said 'and we took the title off my husbands team'.

Laughing, I elbowed her accidently in the mouth. He took a squint and said 'Bristol City? (chuckle) don't worry it'll soon pick up' to the amusement of several slack jaws.

I responded with 'yes well when it does it will be nothing to do with you will it? You backed away pretty quick didn't you?'.

To which Mr Taylor gave another strained chuckle and said 'you won't get me back in that lions then in a hurry-I had enough at the Villa'. He then shot me a dirty look and went away to cuddle some more fake cockneys. I then had to explain to the yellow shirted inbreds that uncle Graham was considering taking the dirty money out west. They didn't know that.

Now unless we are offering him a Zepplin full of money, and bearing in mind his last season at Watford was potentially a relelgation one with him losing the respect of the players and slowly the supporters. He took his 'retirement' a season early.

I wouldn't put him on the list. He has had enough.

Archived