IGNORED

John Ward And The Evil Post

Glastonbury Red

11:00 - 14 September 2005

John Ward today emerged as firm favourite to land the Bristol City manager's job as the club began the task of wading through dozens of applications. I understand the current Cheltenham Town supremo would jump at the chance of being offered the position, one he held with distinction between March 1997 and October 1998, when he was unceremoniously ousted after a poor start to the 1998-99 season.

Ward, who managed Bristol Rovers between 1993 and 1996, taking them to the Division Two (now League One) play-off final in 1995, resurrected his career by taking a coaching role at Wolves in December 2000.

And in his eight games in charge of League Two outfit Cheltenham this term, he has suffered just one defeat despite working on a shoestring budget and playing in front of crowds barely topping 3,000.

Despite his untimely Ashton Gate exit under the previous Scott Davidson-led regime, Ward has maintained a strong affinity with Bristol City.

He is under contract at Whaddon Road until the end of the 2006-07 season. But should City chairman Steve Lansdown and his colleagues decide Ward is their man, fans could be welcoming him back within the next few weeks.

It is believed that Ward, who hoisted City into the play-offs after replacing Joe Jordan in March 1997, feels he has unfinished business. His sacking came just six months after overseeing the Robins' promotion and, should he return, there is every prospect he would team up again with Terry Connor - his former No 2 at City.

Connor was approached by former Gate boss Brian Tinnion in the summer with a view to making him head coach, an offer the current Molineux man declined.

Ward told the Gloucestershire Echo that a possible return to City was purely "hypothetical", adding: "I don't want to talk about it".

Cheltenham chairman Paul Baker, however, made it clear that Ward would come at a price were he to up sticks in favour of a dramatic return to Bristol.

Baker insisted: "The situation with John is that he is under contract with us for another season and a half.

"I'm sure he has every intention of honouring his contract.

"The purpose of the contract was to give us some security and to give him some security.

"In the event of him leaving before it runs out, we would be able to get some compensation.

"Since he has 18 months of it to go, he would be a reasonably expensive acquisition.

"We've not been approached by anybody yet, but it is early days.

"He's been there before and did a good job. He could terminate his contract, but we would be entitled to a reasonable level of compensation.

"Keith Downing, his assistant, has a similar contract which ends at the same time as John's.

"They came as a pair and I anticipate them both being here until the end of their contracts."

City chief executive Colin Sexstone said response to the advertised vacancy was growing.

"Monday was quiet but yesterday was much busier in terms of phone calls and inquiries. We're beginning now to build CVs up," he said. "I've no doubt we'll get more over the next couple of days to weigh up too.

"There's little doubting it's a very hard position to fill in such a results-driven business."

Former Dundee United boss Ian McCall has also been linked with the post.In the meantime, Keith Millen, Tinnion's No2, has been charged with trying to lift City as caretaker manager ahead of Saturday's home match with Blackpool.

Yep, read it.

Not sure what to make of it though. If he came here it could cost us a lot of money and is it worth spending that and going back in time.

I like John Ward, I would rather employ a manager that has never had a link with Bristol City and may cost a little less than paying compensation and wages.

There are other options than nicking another clubs manager.

MM

Whilst I like the bloke and was very grateful to him for getting us out of this league, what lingers more in the memory is the mess he made of it thereafter. He seemed out of his depth and by his own admission had ran out of ideas. It still sticks in the memory that we started the Championship (Div 1 in old money) with a defensive pair of Watts & Dyche and a centre midfield pair of Hutchings & Hewlett!! Oh dear, is it any wonder why we came back down. Plus never go back!

Whilst I like the bloke and was very grateful to him for getting us out of this league, what lingers more in the memory is the mess he made of it thereafter. He seemed out of his depth and by his own admission had ran out of ideas. It still sticks in the memory that we started the Championship (Div 1 in old money) with a defensive pair of Watts & Dyche and a centre midfield pair of Hutchings & Hewlett!! Oh dear, is it any wonder why we came back down. Plus never go back!

Totally agree - Ward is a media mans dream, it's no wonder Parkinson & Latham are licking up again.

As you say - don't go back.

There doesnt seem to be anything in that article to back up the claim that Ward is the 'hot favourite' for the job.

I'd wait until we hear something concrete.

And there's plenty to suggest he won't be a candidate ... because SteveL has specifically ruled out the idea of paying compensation.

No more sentimental returns is my watchword too!

Whilst I like the bloke and was very grateful to him for getting us out of this league, what lingers more in the memory is the mess he made of it thereafter. He seemed out of his depth and by his own admission had ran out of ideas. It still sticks in the memory that we started the Championship (Div 1 in old money) with a defensive pair of Watts & Dyche and a centre midfield pair of Hutchings & Hewlett!! Oh dear, is it any wonder why we came back down.

Plus never go back!

My thoughts exactly...Ward should stay where he is and carry on doing a good job.

Archived