IGNORED

Terry Butcher

Red Robin

If Terry Butcher was in the frame I would have no problems.

1,He would command respect straight away from the little whipper snappers.

2,He would organise the team very well.

3,Will have many contacts within the game.

4,no big time charlie dedicated,hard working,proffesional would have command of his players straight away.

5,could be a good move by the board, I certainly would not have a problem with him on board.

Guest routabout

Whilst I don't necessarily reject Butcher as a potential candidate, I do think that he would be a bit of a gamble. Probably one that I would be comfortable about us trying, but a gamble nevertheless.

Guest I bleed red 'n' white
If Terry Butcher was in the frame I would have no problems.

1,He would command respect straight away from the little whipper snappers.

2,He would organise the team very well.

3,Will have many contacts within the game.

4,no big time charlie dedicated,hard working,proffesional would have command of his players straight away.

5,could be a good move by the board, I certainly would not have a problem with him on board.

number 3!!!!!! action-smiley-033.gifaction-smiley-033.gifaction-smiley-033.gif

Has he managed anyone in this country besides Coventry? Don't remember him doing a very good job there... Managing in Scotland hardly takes a tactical genius does it?... Martin O'Neill finally got bored of it... (he's out of work!!)

Great player though Butch...

Has he managed anyone in this country besides Coventry? Don't remember him doing a very good job there... Managing in Scotland hardly takes a tactical genius does it?... Martin O'Neill finally got bored of it... (he's out of work!!)

Great player though Butch...

Managing in Scotland doesn't require tactical genius?

It does if you're manager of anyone other than the Old Firm!

Any team that manages to compete against the big two have to have a tactically astute manager. Don't be deceived into thinking that Scottish football is full of numpties for managers. In fact, I would go as far as to say that outwith the Old Firm, more is required of managers in regards tactical ability and in the lower divisions managers are working miracles every week just to survive.

To do what he's done with Motherwell is fantastic. You might be dismissive of his achievements, but I don't think even a Ferguson or a Mourinho would be able to do better than him with the resources available. I think he has shown he deserves to be given an opportunity elsewhere.

See the M'well fans love him - or this one does !

Highly regarded up north is TB extract from FLO [Motherwell]

Hi gents,

Just thought I would give you a wee opinion from a Motherwell fan. Butcher has been an absolute revelation at our relatively small club and what he has achieved has been nothing short of miraculous. He was brought to the club as Eric Black's (now assistant to Steve Bruce at Birmingham) assistant. When the club hit financial problems in April 2002 (we sank into administration and nearly lost our club), everyone deserted but Terry stayed on, picked up the reigns and hasn't looked back since. His first job was to pick a team as over twenty players were freed from the squad and his ability to work with a group of footballers whilst having both hands tied behind his back is second to none in my opinion. He brought in youngsters like James McFadden (sold to Everton), Stephen Pearson (sold to Celtic), Keith Lasley (sold to Plymouth) and continually picks up free transfers and loans that turn out to be excellent purchases. In his three years in charge at Fir Park, he has managed two consecutive top-six finishes (our league splits into two leagues of six in April) and got us to the CIS Cup Final. You would have to understand how small a club we are, and how little money we have compared to other teams in our league to appreciate what kind of achievement that is.

His reputation south of the border has been tarnished by his spells at Coventry and Sunderland, but I would suggest those jobs came too early for him, and at Motherwell he has had a good platform in which to properly learn his trade.

I would be gutted to see Tel leave, but if he went to Bristol I would be safe in the knowledge that he would be joining a very good club in Bristol City who have massive potential. I will be forever grateful to Terry for the magnificent job he has done at Fir Park and the legacy of young players he will have left should he choose to head South.

Incidentally, the story was on the back page of the Scottish Daily Express up here!

Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season, whomever you appoint as manager!

'Flow

Archived