IGNORED

Northern Bias?

mrevans

.... the South of England? We seem to have had managers from the North or from Scotland, but not from anywhere south of Birmingham( and certainly none from Bristol) for a while.

Just a trivial question I thought I'd throw in in between bouts of praying against Lennie "the journeyman, non-achiever" Lawrence from being appointed.

.... the South of England? We seem to have had managers from the North or from Scotland, but not from anywhere south of Birmingham( and certainly none from Bristol) for a while.

Just a trivial question I thought I'd throw in in between bouts of praying against Lennie "the journeyman, non-achiever" Lawrence from being appointed.

Osman maybe? Denis Smith? May be wrong on both counts, as I would only have been in my teens then.

Guest Stafford

Read the 90 minute manager and there is a theory that regional identity can play a part in successful management. Only one southern manager has ever won the English league Championship - Alf Ramsey at Ipswich in 1962 - which is odd given the geographical distribution of the population. The other successful managers have been northerners or Scots or increasingly foreign. Ferguson, Shankly, Graham, Busby, Dalglish, Wenger, Clough, Paisley, Fagan, Mee, Wilkinson ... the list goes on and on! Maybe the culture of certain regions breeds better managers is the assertion that is made. Just a thought!

Archived