IGNORED

Spotted Locally Tonight - Vialli

Milo

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I'm pleased to present for your delectation this evening, a rumour that one Gianluca Vialli was this afternoon reputedly spotted outside a posh hotel near the M5 at Charfield.

My source is, however, unreliable, being as it is my old man!

Anyway. let's not let an unreliable rumour get in the way of a potential debate ... your thoughts?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

From the LMA Website:

Gianluca Vialli signed for Chelsea just days after captaining Juventus to victory in the 1996 Champions' League final against Ajax. It was the crowning moment of a glittering playing career that saw the Italian striker win Serie A titles with two different clubs and become one of the greatest goalscorers in Italian football.

Having played so successfully with Sampdoria and Juventus having signed from his home town club Cremonese, Vialli was lured to Chelsea by Ruud Gullit, arriving at Stamford Bridge on a free transfer.

His tenacious, combative style alliedwith his pace and eye for goal, not to mention his distinctive hairstyle (or lack of it), instantly made him a favourite with the Chelsea faithful and Vialli crowned his first season in English football with an FA Cup winners' medal.

Following Ruud Gullit's shock departure in February 1998, Vialli was appointed as Chelsea's player/manager and within eighteen months he became the club's most successful manager to date. In his first five months at the helm he guided the Blues to success in both the European Cup Winners' Cup and the League Cup.

Although his first full season in charge of Chelsea did not yield any more silverware, Vialli helped Chelsea qualify for the Champions' League, finishing third in the Premiership. His stature and international reputation enabled the club to attract stars such as World Cup winners Marcel Desailly and Didier Deschamps to the club as he tried to instill in his players a genuine belief that they could lift the Premiership title.

Sadly for Vialli, that goal remained unfulfilled. Having taken Chelsea to success in the FA Cup in May 2000 and Charity Shield success against Manchester United at the start of the 2000-2001 season, he was sacked by Chairman Ken Bates just five games into the new season.

Vialli consistently stated that he wished to continue his career in football management, whether it be in English football, back in Italy, or elsewhere, and worked hard to gain his UEFA Coaching qualifications after his surprise departure from Stamford Bridge.

He says that he learnt a lot about coaching and management from the course and was eager to put his new ideas into practice.

Vicarage Road may have seemed like a surprising choice to many but Luca felt Watford were a very ambitious and very professional club, and he was confident he could return the Hornets to the top flight.

His first season in charge also turned out to be his last, as Watford finished a disappointing 14th in Divison One. Gianluca's contract was terminated on June 14 2002, a day after his assistant, Ray Wilkins, had also been dismissed, along with the club's fitness coach, doctor and masseur.

Source: LMA Website

Guest routabout

Yeah, he'd be absolutely perfect for the job. I'm sure he can't wait to get cracking. Apparently, he's keen to work with Keith Millen, so that they can trade stories about their experiences at Watford. Vialli would come with contacts that would be amazing and he's proven that he can operate on a shoestring.

[Edit]

This just in, Vialli will be bringing Gianfranco Zola with him. Oh this is just going to be so amazing. I'm so excited I could nut a nun.

[Edit]

This just in, Vialli will be bringing Gianfranco Zola with him. Oh this is just going to be so amazing. I'm so excited I could nut a nun.

enough with dreaming, i keep telling you

Guest routabout

Oh that's not being over ambitious. I just couldn't be arsed to argue with anybody tonight, so I thought I'd post in the style of some others.

I was being sikrostac sto0piD! wink.gif

Guest Tactical Genius

Watford are still paying for his tenure there. Vialli would be of as much use as half a Peter Reid.

What do want, a big name or someone who can actually manage a football club?

Pah! You're just unambitious. Not a REAL fan at all.  dance.gif

i think it more a question of realism. the bloke's attention span would be about 2 weeks at ashton gate. i quite frankyl do not rate him anyway. chelsea was one thing with loadsa cash even if it was bates' cash at the time but watford was another city and he did poorly in my view or, at best, mediocre.

Guest routabout

Can we please have a smilie, with a sign board that clearly reads "I'm being sarcastic" or "I'm having a laugh". I would have thought that a dancing smilie was enough to indicate that I was having a laugh. Reading this thread properly should have also given you the impression that I was taking the mickey.

I really do give up.

Archived