IGNORED

Dave Bassett

Red Cloud

When was his last promotion?

It seems that you would favour Terry Butcher becoming City manager yet he hasn't managed in England for TWELVE years!

He was pretty dreadful at both Coventry and Sunderland and is only now slowly building a steady reputation as a manager in Scotland yet you would prefer him to somebody who has managed in the English Leagues for 30 years and who has gained SEVEN promotions?

I'm just grateful that you won't be deciding who our next manager is.

BTW, Bassett's last promotion was in 1998 with Forest (although he did reach the P/O Final with Barnsley in 2000)

When was Butcher's last promotion?

Lighten up Magilla - Butcher is just one potential candidate that I would welcome along with Gary Johnson.

The fact is I don't have a particular favourite.

My problem with managers like Basset and Lawrence is that they have been around almost too long and and imo are past their sell by date.They might be experienced but thier appointment wouldn't inspire the fans which given BCFC's current situation has to be a consideration.

The new mans appointment has to have a "feel good" factor to it and I wouldn't see either Basset or Lawrence providing that.

Lighten up Magilla - Butcher is just one potential candidate that I would welcome along with Gary Johnson.

My problem with managers like Basset and Lawrence is that they have been around almost too long and and imo are past their sell by date.They might be experienced but thier appointment wouldn't inspire the fans which given BCFC's current situation has to be a consideration.

The new mans appointment has to have a "feel good" factor to it and I wouldn't see either Basset or Lawrence providing that.

For a so-called sage, your not very---------sagey.

I share your concerns Robbored - especially with regards to Lawrence. As the first objective for the new manager has to be to avoid relegation the appointment needs to excite and motivate players and fans - not demotivate.

The point I have tried to make all along about managers like Bassett and Taylor and Lawrence is that I feel that they should be used as an effective 'stop-gap' to steady the ship and to give the season a little bit of impetus.

Bassett, who I prefer of the three mentioned above, should be given ONE season to get us back on track, sort the backroom mess out and search for his successor who could be brought in to work alongside him during this season. Taylor or Lawrence could do the same. I do not see any of them as being the long term managers.

The long-term management candidates should be people like Eric Black - young managers with a good solid CV who will not start to yearn for the pundit's chair if things start to get a bit bumpy.

Perhaps the way to start sorting out City's problems is to use an old head to calm things down and then, after a period of stabilisation, let the younger successor take over. Bassett/Lawrence/Taylor could be the short-term answer but not in the long-term and vice-versa with the younger managers. A combination of both may be the answer.

The point I have tried to make all along about managers like Bassett and Taylor and Lawrence is that I feel that they should be used as an effective 'stop-gap' to steady the ship and to give the season a little bit of impetus.

Bassett, who I prefer of the three mentioned above, should be given ONE season to get us back on track, sort the backroom mess out and search for his successor who could be brought in to work alongside him during this season.  Taylor or Lawrence could do the same.  I do not see any of them as being the long term managers.

The long-term management candidates should be people like Eric Black - young managers with a good solid CV who will not start to yearn for the pundit's chair if things start to get a bit bumpy.

Perhaps the way to start sorting out City's problems is to use an old head to calm things down and then, after a period of stabilisation, let the younger successor take over.  Bassett/Lawrence/Taylor could be the short-term answer but not in the long-term and vice-versa with the younger managers.  A combination of both may be the answer.

I get the impression from the SL interview that the scenario illustrated in your last paragraph would be the boards preferred option.

From the three candidates you mention above, the long ball game is heavily associated with two of 'em. That leaves Lennie Lawrence.

feel good factor is one thing but reputation is all important and a stated policy of the city board, quite rightly in my view. who knows when a certain manager reaches his sell by date anyway. Keith Curle is my front runner now but he does not fit the criteria.

Guest routabout

I'm just sick to the back teeth of this whole sorry affair. To be perfectly honest, with all the little niggles around the club, I'm getting sick of it altogether.

I've supported this club for aws long as I can remember and I have never felt so despondent about things as I do now. Even in '82, I felt, oh well one way or another, it'll be over soon.

But now, I feel we are going from one disaster to another and that all that lies ahead is further heartache and humiliation. This is not how a fan should be feeling about the club he loves. Somebody at the club needs to look into Public Relations and gaining a better understanding of the so called relationship, between the club and it's supporters.

I'm just sick to the back teeth of this whole sorry affair. To be perfectly honest, with all the little niggles around the club, I'm getting sick of it altogether.

I've supported this club for aws long as I can remember and I have never felt so despondent about things as I do now. Even in '82, I felt, oh well one way or another, it'll be over soon.

But now, I feel we are going from one disaster to another and that all that lies ahead is further heartache and humiliation. This is not how a fan should be feeling about the club he loves. Somebody at the club needs to look into Public Relations and gaining a better understanding of the so called relationship, between the club and it's supporters.

I work in A&E in a Bristol Hospital...

Just started thinking how many City fans I'll be seeing if the club appoints Lawrence, Bassett or someone like them... Could be a long shift for me... banghead.gif

Archived