IGNORED

Breaking News....breaking News....

greenun

Guest alex1089

He has got superb links with other clubs across europe and every single foreigner he buys makes an impact. Whether he be German or Agentinian he always signs the right players and thats something we have lacked at this club.

Guest alex1089

Why would we take so long to appoint the new manager? If it was Lennie Lawrence then it would have been done and dusted by now as he isent contracted to another club. It looks as if Martin Allen or Gary Johnson really are big posibilitys.

Guest routabout

Greenun.

As a poster that I have respect for and with the current state of confusion around here, how close to the truth would you say this story is? Should we be taking this seriously?

Obviously I won't take your word as law, but I'd be happier believing you, than many other sources of 'information', if you know what I mean?

My scepticism, as with other's, comes from the fact that it all stems from the EP.

Why would we take so long to appoint the new manager? If it was Lennie Lawrence then it would have been done and dusted by now as he isent contracted to another club. It looks as if Martin Allen or Gary Johnson really are big posibilitys.

Lawrence wanted to see if he got offered the Plymouth job first.

Pulis has got it. mad.gif

Lawrence wanted to see if he got offered the Plymouth job first.

Pulis has got it. mad.gif

If that's true, that attitude alone would be enough to convince me he wasn't worth pursuing any further.

Or Dennis Wise as I still believe he is involved in a playing capacity at least.

One thing is for sure though, I think from this we can safely say it is not going to be a simple or fully popular process, whoever loses their manager are going to pretty agrieved.

razz.gif

Someone type up the story from the EP please!

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode...wsNodeId=144924

CITY BOARD ARE NOW CLOSE TO APPOINTING THEIR MAN UI AS JOHNSON ENTERS RACE

More News | Back to home page

11:00 - 22 September 2005

Bristol City are homing in on a new manager, with the decision on who to appoint as successor to Brian Tinnion to be taken within the next 48 hours. All the major contenders have now been interviewed and the board is set to meet today or tomorrow to make their choice.

Lennie Lawrence remains a frontrunner, but Yeovil Town manager Gary Johnson is very much in the frame.

City chief executive Colin Sexstone confirmed: "We've worked our way through the shortlist and now we need to meet and make a decision.

"That meeting will take place in the next day or two and we will involve Steve (Lansdown) and the other directors in making a choice privately.

"We will then decide when best to make the news public."

While City's directors are eager to make an appointment as quickly as possible in order to avert a slide that has seen the team slip to second from bottom of League One, they are committed to landing the right man for the job.

Although it is understood that former Cardiff City boss Lawrence was at Ashton Gate for a second round of talks earlier this week, Johnson has emerged as a strong candidate.

City chairman Lansdown has publicly declared his willingness to pay compensation in order to attract a manager from a rival club.

Were Johnson under serious consideration, it would perhaps explain the delay in making an appointment.

Sexstone would not be drawn, but admitted: "We have to make the right decision.

now where has that tratter boy gone dunno.gif

The most compelling part of this story is the apparent change of policy regarding paying compensation.

I wonder if SL has interviewed all the usual suspects and realised what he will have to pay for quality.

It might be that it is cheaper for example to pay Yeovil or whoever compensation to get there man and put him on a 3 year contract, than it is to pay the wages of a "name" like Peter Reid.

Whilst Johnson did well last year he hasn't exactly excelled at a higher level.

Actually, he hasn't managed at a higher level than League One.

His interviews on Radio Briz alway leave me cold. He has an art of saying the bleedin obvious in an unemotional voice.

I'm not enthused. :unsure:

And if that's my attitude, I'm sure our fancy-dan star players will react similarly.

I have to say that I agree with this view.

I haven't nailed my colours to the mast regarding who the new manager should be, but I have my doubts about Johnson.

He's not exactly the 'been there, done that', seen-it-all, no-nonsense, experienced manager that many of us were hoping for, is he? :dunno:

QUOTE(Chivs @ Sep 22 2005, 10:59 AM)

His interviews on Radio Briz alway leave me cold. He has an art of saying the bleedin obvious in an unemotional voice.

I'm not enthused.

And if that's my attitude, I'm sure our fancy-dan star players will react similarly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got to disagree with this. Whenever he comes on the radio he talks sense to me. If they lose he is annoyed but not angry and when they win he doesn't get too carried away. He doesn't over-react to things and is level-headed. He hasn't managed higher than league 1- true but neither has Martin Allen but most people wouldn't mind him here. I'm confident Johnson could do well in the chmapionship. He knows how to work well with limited funds and quality- what we need looking at the sitaution. Our 'fancy dan players' are far more likely to respond to him having seen what he done with Yeovil- frankly its a miracle from where they were 5 years ago.

QUOTE(Chivs @ Sep 22 2005, 10:59 AM)

I'm not enthused.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got to disagree with this. Whenever he comes on the radio he talks sense to me. If they lose he is annoyed but not angry and when they win he doesn't get too carried away. He doesn't over-react to things and is level-headed. He hasn't managed higher than league 1- true but neither has Martin Allen but most people wouldn't mind him here. I'm confident Johnson could do well in the chmapionship. He knows how to work well with limited funds and quality- what we need looking at the sitaution. Our 'fancy dan players' are far more likely to respond to him having seen what he done with Yeovil- frankly its a miracle from where they were 5 years ago.

Well thought out counter-argument. :chant6ez:

Archived