IGNORED

Johnson Why Us

Red Robin

If what is said is true,it will be a very good coup.

Having been touted by the likes of coventry,derby etc and we get him.

we must have impressed him or should i say are board must have impressed him.

lets be aving you let sort this mess out before we get to far behind.

will he be in place for saturday we all hope so.

millen has had his time with the tinman.

Guest Longford Red

If what is said is true,it will be a very good coup.

Having been touted by the likes of coventry,derby etc and we get him.

we must have impressed him or should i say are board must have impressed him.

lets be aving you let sort this mess out before we get to far behind.

will he be in place for saturday we all hope so.

millen has had his time with the tinman.

Maybe something to do with both clubs being very heavily in debt? :dunno:

I don't think it takes a genius to see that Bristol City is a big club underachieving.

He recognizes this and must feel he can fullfill both his and our ambition

Works for me :dance:

Agree with this 100%

There is only so many oppertunities the guy can let go by. Yeovil are a great club and have achieved great things recently but they have in my view reached the top of what they can expect to achieve on their current resources.

City however can go a bit higher up the football ladder with the right manager of course! But cliche or not the "sleeping giant" was used again tonight by the local media (points west) and a client base of 40,000 (day trippers included vist to milenium stadium) is bigger than the approximate 20,000 (day trippers includded) that yeovil tock to the FA vase final at Vila Park.

That in a nutshell is the decision Gary Johnson has to make.

Maybe the reason he turned down midland clubs is because he's settled in the West Country and doesn't want to uproot his family - maybe its thats simple.

Would be a factor of course, but he wouldn't risk the comfort of leaving Yeovil if the City job didn't provide him a platform to progress his reputation in the game.

Any way best wait for an anouncement.

His family are settled in near Yeovil and love the area. The other clubs were too far to travel and it seems he is an old fashioned family man at heart and wants a happy family.

This is the job he has been waiting for because he has taken Yeovil as far as they can currently go with the stadium etc and he doesnt have to uproot.

Gary is an old fashioned football manager, takes no poo and his fitness routines and training will certainly wake up this club. Good times ahead....

Guest redphilc

Maybe the reason he turned down midland clubs is because he's settled in the West Country and doesn't want to uproot his family - maybe its thats simple.

Had he achieved promotion with Yeovil when he allegedly turned down Coventry and Derby?

I don't think he had and now that he has he is faced with a new choice.

Stay at Yeovil where the job is done or move to a fresh challenge?

Bristol City is a big challenge which maybe he feels he could succeed at. I believe he will be a success and will be extreamly pleased if the rumour is true. He would have been my first choice for the job had Lansdown not said he wouldn't pay compensation and with that said I had discounted Johnson.

This is the appointment we need to get this club ticking again.

He will have my full support.

Agree with this 100%

There is only so many oppertunities the guy can let go by. Yeovil are a great club and have achieved great things recently but they have in my view reached the top of what they can expect to achieve on their current resources.

City however can go a bit higher up the football ladder with the right manager of course! But cliche or not the "sleeping giant" was used again tonight by the local media (points west) and a client base of 40,000 (day trippers included vist to milenium stadium) is bigger than the approximate 20,000 (day trippers includded) that yeovil tock to the FA vase final at Vila Park.

That in a nutshell is the decision Gary Johnson has to make.

Jeez, you know i really hope we aint all jumpin the gun here :shutup:

Judging by most peoples posts it seems Johnson is our man aswell as Landsdowns, guess its just a money matter now, lets hope yeovil play ball :pray:

Jeez, you know i really hope we aint all jumpin the gun here :shutup:

Judging by most peoples posts it seems Johnson is our man aswell as Landsdowns, guess its just a money matter now, lets hope yeovil play ball :pray:

So do I mate, becuase if it aint true and Mr Lawrence turns up in a red and white scarf it's a trip to the suspension bridge for me!

Guest routabout

I'll be a lot happier about it, once I see some official announcement from either us or Yeovil.

Maybe he turned down Coventry and Derby, although they may have turned him down, because to 'achieve' anything concrete with them, ie promotion, would be a task that he might see as nigh on impossible. Whereas with us, we have some very good players for this level and it wouldn't take the same to get us up as it might with Derby or Coventry.

If you look at Martin O'Neill's career, he stepped up in jumps that he was comfortable with and had some control over his learning curve. As a result, he continued to have success and progress in his career. Well, until he went to Scotland, but at least it was Celtic. It's all very well being a very ambitious manager, but there is no point in biting off more than you can chew. Make the wrong move, get into a spot that you can't get yourself out of and your reputation goes to the dogs.

Maybe, maybe not.

So do I mate, becuase if it aint true and Mr Lawrence turns up in a red and white scarf it's a trip to the suspension bridge for me!

jump from the a4portway side please......i'll be on the cyclepath to ashton court tomorrow morning sometime :whistle:

I'll be a lot happier about it, once I see some official announcement from either us or Yeovil.

Maybe he turned down Coventry and Derby, although they may have turned him down, because to 'achieve' anything concrete with them, ie promotion, would be a task that he might see as nigh on impossible. Whereas with us, we have some very good players for this level and it wouldn't take the same to get us up as it might with Derby or Coventry.

If you look at Martin O'Neill's career, he stepped up in jumps that he was comfortable with and had some control over his learning curve. As a result, he continued to have success and progress in his career. Well, until he went to Scotland, but at least it was Celtic. It's all very well being a very ambitious manager, but there is no point in biting off more than you can chew. Make the wrong move, get into a spot that you can't get yourself out of and your reputation goes to the dogs.

Maybe, maybe not.

well said and some other threads in similar vain. he knows he has a good chance of getting city promoted whereas it would have been a harder task perhaps with coventry back to the premiership. he also lives locally as many have said and that is of course a huge factor. bring him on SL.

In our last season in the 2nd division I was invited 'backstage' to meet John Ward and Colin Todd. We were struggling under Benny L and I asked John Ward if he'd consider returning. He said he'd jump at the chance. To my surprise, Colin Todd said he would too, despite being manager of Wolves at the time. So I asked him why. He said that City have massive potential and its every manager's dream to have a crack at bringing success to an underachieving Club. Basically, we're a dream club to manage.

By contrast, Derby and Coventry are not good career moves because they're unlikely to get back to the Premiership in their current states and yet because of their more recent history in the top flight the anticipated lack of success isn't tolerated.

The bottom line is that whoever joins us has the potential to take us from the 3rd tier to the Premiership and have their career made. It's all too easy to get depressed about our Club but someone, somewhere, sometime will get us to the Premiership. By virtue of our size / catchment area we should be mid 2nd tier which means we should occasionally be in this hell hole of a division and occasionally in the top flight. But once we get to the Premiership, who says we can't do a Charlton / Bolton etc?

So while we may have low self-esteem at the moment, we should keep in mind that that means that we're perfect for an ambitious manager to make his mark.

Step forward Gary Johnson. Your moment has arrived.

IPB Image

Guest routabout

Ah, I agree with that. I also have a hunch that Johnson could be the man, as long as he's backed by us and the board. I don't think he's going to need to spend any really serious money to get us up to the Championship and from there on, hopefully we'll be in a better financial position to spend that bit extra to push on. He's operated on a tight budget at Yeovil and made the most of it. This is a prerequisite for any manager joining us, especially at this moment in time. So I think it's essential that the board give him at least as much financial support as they were willing to give Tinns and previously, Wilson.

We might have to make a couple of higher profile signings once we are in the Championship, but as I say, the promotion should leave us better equipped, when the time comes. There is something about Gary Johnson, something that I can't quite pin down, that tells me he could well be the man to make things happen for us. He's had a good grounding and I think enough experience to cope with anything he's likely to face here and he's also shown that he can adapt to suit his environment.

He has a preference for good football and seems able to achieve it with less than many managers need. The further into him and his career I look, the more I like what I see. Using his track record as a base, the overall picture I get of him is looking very good. He gives me as much confidence as Danny Wilson did on his arrival here and as a bonus, he's had more recent success, at levels more relevamt to our own, than Danny did at the time. With his attributes and style of management and dealings, I think he can be left to do his job on the football side, leaving the board to concentrate on getting the finances and resources sorted, in readiness for the good times which I'm sure lie ahead, with Johnson at the helm.

Archived