IGNORED

Drop Philips

GAS8ER2

I wouldn't drop him because we have no idea how good his potential replacement is.

Phillips has one problem with his game that overshadows everything he could fix easily.

He doesn't judge the flight of a ball so he leaves it too late to decide whether or not to go for a cross.

He needs to be able to tell in the first few yards the ball moves after being crossed if it's worth taking otherwise he's effectively saying to his defence that he will only take if it's on top of him. Witness Brentford's second goal where he moved far too late, and succeeded only in encumbering our defender who was trying to win the header.

If you look at any keeper that was good at dealing with crosses you'll see how early they move, Phillips tends to wait to see which player is going for it and try to challenge them.

Fairly easy flaw to coach out I'd have thought?

Nibor

If you look at any keeper that was good at dealing with crosses you'll see how early they move, Phillips tends to wait to see which player is going for it and try to challenge them.

Fairly easy flaw to coach out I'd have thought?

Nibor

I'm not so sure - its a flaw that Phillips has always had and he's played for several seasons with it and he's no better than he was.

He did improve his kicking no end but his poor ability with crosse and dominating his box remains.Can you teach and old dog new tricks?

I'm not so sure - its a flaw that Phillips has always had and he's played for several seasons with it and he's no better than he was.

He did improve his kicking no end but his poor ability with crosse and dominating his box remains.Can you teach and old dog new tricks?

I think people overcomplicate coaching alot.

Surely if his IQ is above the level of your average length of 3 by 2 he can comprehend "Decide earlier, move earlier"?

Nibor

There is no question that Phillips is a great shot stopper. It is the "other qualities" that he lacks. For the past Three years the defence has looked nervous. This is because Phillips is too quite and cannot read the game very well. This is why a we have had absolutly no interest whatsoever from other clubs in a higher division.

We either have to bite the bullet and get a better all round keeper or they have to try and improve on his bad points.

I`m sure GJ will decide what is best

:D

There is no question that Phillips is a great shot stopper. It is the "other qualities" that he lacks. For the past Three years the defence has looked nervous. This is because Phillips is too quite and cannot read the game very well. This is why a we have had absolutly no interest whatsoever from other clubs in a higher division.

We either have to bite the bullet and get a better all round keeper or they have to try and improve on his bad points.

I`m sure GJ will decide what is best

:D

Another one sees the light.

Phillips as we all know has several weakness's in his game which untill now he managed to compensate for with his shot stopping ability and no serious competition for his place.

With Johnson now in charge Phillips position as City's number 1 is no longer set in stone.Phillips was at fault for both Brentford goals today and that won't be lost on Johnson who has been used to working a reliable goalkeeper in Chris Weale at Yeovil.

Phillips could do with a spell out of the first team.It would concentrate his mind and get him to work seriously on improving his game which untill now he's not had to do.

Johnson would go even further up in my admiration if he had the courage to drop Phillips.

We've already stated our differences on this subject, but wasn't it Woodman's fault for one goal? Woodman is a far weaker element, as is Carey. I think Fortune and Phillips get used as scapegoats at this club.

Guest North Street

DROP PHILLIPS YOUR OUT OF YOUR TINY LITTLE MIND BEST GOALKEEPER IN THIS LEAGUE :disapointed2se:

Exactly :chant6ez:

As voted by his fellow pros alongside a certain Leroy Lita in the pfa awards.

Still according to those on here who know therir stuff City can so easily get better, where? :grr:

So why hasn't the Universe's best goalie not played for England yet?

:blink:

Because he is this division's best keeper which is different to the universe :dance:

Nonsense aside, it does amaze me how some people I've met would put their house on Phillips one day playing for England. I suppose this country isn't blessed with an abundance of great goalies, but Phillips has some way to go.

If Burch looks good, then give him a go Gary.

Guest North Street

Nonsense aside, it does amaze me how some people I've met would put their house on Phillips one day playing for England. I suppose this country isn't blessed with an abundance of great goalies, but Phillips has some way to go.

If Burch looks good, then give him a go Gary.

The England quote comes from yourself.

If Phillipps is such a nonsense why has he now twice been voted the best keeper in this division by his fellow proffessionals if he is such a poor keeper? Surely they can see the man is complete pants can't they?

Perhaps he really is quite good?

Guest North Street

His fellow professionals don't have to stand in front of him wondering why he never says anything to them.

Until the ball is in the net, of course.

And that is your idea of a plausible explanation is it ? :rofl2br:

Guest redphilc

We've already stated our differences on this subject, but wasn't it Woodman's fault for one goal? Woodman is a far weaker element, as is Carey. I think Fortune and Phillips get used as scapegoats at this club.

Fortune certainly doesn't get made a scapgoat he is just simply useless. However, although I hate the bloke on and off the field I will offer some defence for him over the Swansea debacle. He was publicly slated by Tinnion over his inept performance against Barnet and subsequently dropped from the side then at the last minute on the day of the Swansea game Tinnion is forced to bite his tongue and ask Fortune to play as a late replacment for Heywood. So you have a situation where the gaffer has publicly made Fortune look a ###### one week and then a couple of weeks later the gaffer expects this ###### to save him his job by playing a blinder in central defence away to an in form side. I know how I would feel, professional footbal player or not....

Phillips is also not being made a scapegoat. People aren't blaming him for our results just merely pointing out he is looking a little dogy at the back and is in need of a break. Something we haven't been able to give him for a couple of seasons now.

I personally still think he is the best keeper in the league but would welcome the idea of giving him a little break if this Burch is up to the task. I will sit back and let GJ be the judge of that one.

Guest North Street

you seen a game this season,i bet not

I have seen virtually all of them this season not that it does me any good and Phillips is one of best performers, if not the best [Forest / Vale] this season :chant6ez:

If Phillipps is such a nonsense why has he now twice been voted the best keeper in this division by his fellow proffessionals if he is such a poor keeper? Surely they can see the man is complete pants can't they?

The nonsense part was refering to myself, read my post. I'm not knocking Phillips, all I'm saying is give Burch a go if he looks OK. How many promotion seasons has Phillips played in? :yawn:

Fortune certainly doesn't get made a scapgoat he is just simply useless. However, although I hate the bloke on and off the field I will offer some defence for him over the Swansea debacle. He was publicly slated by Tinnion over his inept performance against Barnet and subsequently dropped from the side then at the last minute on the day of the Swansea game Tinnion is forced to bite his tongue and ask Fortune to play as a late replacment for Heywood. So you have a situation where the gaffer has publicly made Fortune look a ###### one week and then a couple of weeks later the gaffer expects this ###### to save him his job by playing a blinder in central defence away to an in form side. I know how I would feel, professional footbal player or not....

Phillips is also not being made a scapegoat. People aren't blaming him for our results just merely pointing out he is looking a little dogy at the back and is in need of a break. Something we haven't been able to give him for a couple of seasons now.

I personally still think he is the best keeper in the league but would welcome the idea of giving him a little break if this Burch is up to the task. I will sit back and let GJ be the judge of that one.

If you read what has just been written mate, you'll see that people are slating Phillips. Having been to all the home games and having seen highlights of the away games, he seems to be playing no poorer that most. The confidence has been at an unbelievable low throughout the team. If we dropped/rested all the players that have underperformed this season we'd only have Brooker, Heywood and Cotterill on the pitch.

Give Phillips competetion by all means. I certainly hope that he is still focused on improving on his weaknesses. But I disagree when people undermine his ability.

Fortune should not be in the starting line-up. However I refuse to accept that he's a 'donkey' as many label him, or 'simply useless' as you put it. You're getting carried away. He has had good games when at his best but has never had many successive games which for any footballer is crucial. I think part of people view comes from the fact that he has a naturally clumsy look to him because of those gangly legs. He does know how to play the ball out of defence though as well as using those long legs to make life awkward for attackers. Obviously with his height he has aerial precense in his favour too. Alike Carey, Woodman and Jamie Smith, he has not played well lately and will have to work hard to regain a place, particularly with Partridge and Heywood looking steady at the moment.

Golbourne gets called useless by some people as well and that riles me the most. People criticised Matty Hill in exactly the same way, and I'd love to have him back.

Only my opinion though, slate 'em all if you like.

Guest North Street

The nonsense part was refering to myself, read my post. I'm not knocking Phillips, all I'm saying is give Burch a go if he looks OK. How many promotion seasons has Phillips played in? :yawn:

How many promotion seasons has Phillips played in? Exactly the same as Andy Cole or Leroy Lita for City and they were not half bad either but no promtions!.Answer my questions , they are valid , If Phillipps is such a nonsense why has he now twice been voted the best keeper in this division by his fellow professionals if he is such a poor keeper? Surely they can see the man is complete pants can't they?

:city:

The funny thing about this thread is people saying to give Burch a go, Watched him for the reserves twice now and he is less commanding than Phillips! I'm not even sure he is actually still at the club as I recall Naylor saying he was going back end of last week unless something could be sorted.

To be fair to Steve he has had a different back four in front of him nearly every week this season, We still don't defend balls into the box as a unit correctly and until the defenders start attacking set pieces properly I cant even begin to knock the keeper. Second balls drop down onto the edge of our own box and we are slow to defend them as well.

Defending is a collective thing and needs to be tightned up as a whole, I think we have good defenders and a good keeper but there not together as a unit. Thats where the coaching should come in.

Guest pentlandsl

No he's not. He's been voted as being best by people who have at best seen him play twice in a season and the acrobatic shot saves on Sky round-ups. Anyone who's watched him week in and week out will know that his weaknesses totally overshadow his shot stopping. Many of his spectacular saves are as a result of not coming to claim the ball in the first place.

He has been our weak link for quite some time in defence - indecisive and a lack of prescence. Our defenders end up defending deeper than they should, giving opposing teams a greater share of our 18 yard area, resulting in a greater number of goals. You only have to watch how opposing teams now shape up against us - lots of high crosses into the box just outside the 6 yard area giving their attackers a 50/50 chance of winning a header to score. Other keepers would claim 75% of those crosses - with Steve it is less than 10%. No wonder we are leaking so many goals.

I would be very interested in how many offsides are given for us compared with other teams - we are usually too deep as a defence for opposing teams to be caught - attackers for other teams must think it is Xmas with the amount of space and chances we give them.

I say drop Phillips in favour of an all-round keeper.

Guest North Street

No he's not. He's been voted as being best by people who have at best seen him play twice in a season and the acrobatic shot saves on Sky round-ups. Anyone who's watched him week in and week out will know that his weaknesses totally overshadow his shot stopping. Many of his spectacular saves are as a result of not coming to claim the ball in the first place.

He has been our weak link for quite some time in defence - indecisive and a lack of prescence. Our defenders end up defending deeper than they should, giving opposing teams a greater share of our 18 yard area, resulting in a greater number of goals. You only have to watch how opposing teams now shape up against us - lots of high crosses into the box just outside the 6 yard area giving their attackers a 50/50 chance of winning a header to score. Other keepers would claim 75% of those crosses - with Steve it is less than 10%. No wonder we are leaking so many goals.

I would be very interested in how many offsides are given for us compared with other teams - we are usually too deep as a defence for opposing teams to be caught - attackers for other teams must think it is Xmas with the amount of space and chances we give them.

So his fellow pros, Wilson, Tinnion, Millen and most likely Johnson all have it wrong the bloke is an absolute liability who has no right to stay between Citys sticks for ninety minutes let alone years because his weaknesses totally overshadow his shot stopping:.I think your description of the way teams play is actually a description of the way most teams in the lower leagues play all the time not just against City. It used to irratate me the way Phillipps would not leave his posts like he was attached to them with an invisible rubber band that would ping him backwards if he ventured of his line. I then came to realise that is the way he plays and he really is quite good at his job which seems to be backed up by Citys managers continually picking the man and not seeking out the replacement that you and others think is so urgently/desperately required. The team are leaking goals because they have been playing poorly and in comparison to former teams [Wilsons] City have a midfield which gives only minimal defensive cover. How do you come up with those figures of 75% or 10% ? How do you decide when he should have come or stayed put ? All subjective is it not ? Bet you are fun to sit alongside, "bah Phillipps should have come for that, that kick is too short, Christ he saved one but if he came out earlier he would not have been in that position because ho hum "!

One of the lads i know who plays for city says that Woodman has among the greatest potential at the club, and that he will be amazed if he dosen't play Premiership football by the end of his career, and that the only thing he needs is confidence and some coaching on positioning and role play. Makes me think if Johnson can do the business he could get woodman doing his job and therefore help phillips out.

True.

Guest pentlandsl

So his fellow pros, Wilson, Tinnion, Millen and most likely Johnson all have it wrong the bloke is an absolute liability who has no right to stay between Citys sticks for ninety minutes let alone years because his weaknesses totally overshadow his shot stopping:.I think your description of the way teams play is actually a description of the way most teams in the lower leagues play all the time not just against City. It used to irratate me the way Phillipps would not leave his posts like he was attached to them with an invisible rubber band that would ping him backwards if he ventured of his line. I then came to realise that is the way he plays and he really is quite good at his job which seems to be backed up by Citys managers continually picking the man and not seeking out the replacement that you and others think is so urgently/desperately required. The team are leaking goals because they have been playing poorly and in comparison to former teams [Wilsons] City have a midfield which gives only minimal defensive cover. How do you come up with those figures of 75% or 10% ? How do you decide when he should have come or stayed put ? All subjective is it not ? Bet you are fun to sit alongside, "bah Phillipps should have come for that, that kick is too short, Christ he saved one but if he came out earlier he would not have been in that position because ho hum "!

About as much fun as you given your everything is black or white attitude.

Unfortunately it IS the way he plays and in this division, as you have stated above, teams do tend to play a more direct game, which knowing this only emphasises how unsuitable Phillips is for us. I guess my other main gripe is that knowing his shortcomings he hasn't progressed any way towards improving them over the years he's been here.

The figures are merely guestimates based on watching the matches over a protracted number of seasons. As to when he should and should not come off of his line I've based my thoughts around that on the 23 years or so I have myself played in goal. There is nothing wrong with subjectivity, the Office of National Statistics runs on it as do just about any other opinion poll in the public domain.

I guess that the reason successive managers have done nothing about him is that they have had other priorities for the small amounts of money they have had available to them.

The fact remains that there are deficiencies in Phillip's game that are costing us goals and confidence at the back. These deficiencies were there 3 years ago and are still there now. I would welcome him to carry on as City keeper if I thought he was working on those deficiencies and was improving but he doesn't appear to be and I think it is time for a change.

My opinion; I know it is not yours. Can't wait for your reply slagging me off for having a different opinion to you.

Guest North Street

About as much fun as you given your everything is black or white attitude.

Unfortunately it IS the way he plays and in this division, as you have stated above, teams do tend to play a more direct game, which knowing this only emphasises how unsuitable Phillips is for us. I guess my other main gripe is that knowing his shortcomings he hasn't progressed any way towards improving them over the years he's been here.

The figures are merely guestimates based on watching the matches over a protracted number of seasons. As to when he should and should not come off of his line I've based my thoughts around that on the 23 years or so I have myself played in goal. There is nothing wrong with subjectivity, the Office of National Statistics runs on it as do just about any other opinion poll in the public domain.

I guess that the reason successive managers have done nothing about him is that they have had other priorities for the small amounts of money they have had available to them.

The fact remains that there are deficiencies in Phillip's game that are costing us goals and confidence at the back. These deficiencies were there 3 years ago and are still there now. I would welcome him to carry on as City keeper if I thought he was working on those deficiencies and was improving but he doesn't appear to be and I think it is time for a change.

My opinion; I know it is not yours. Can't wait for your reply slagging me off for having a different opinion to you.

Oddly i played in goal as well mate but i feel that his strengths greatly outweigh his deficiencies.

As i stated earleir originally it annoyed me the way Phillippps played but i came to the opinion that Phillipps is a real asset to BCFC.You think he is poor and i think Phillipps is good but those in charge seem to always think the latter! Hopefully in a season or two we can go over the same topic with BCFC in the championship :city:

Guest pentlandsl

Oddly i played in goal as well mate but i feel that his strengths greatly outweigh his deficiencies.

As i stated earleir originally it annoyed me the way Phillippps played but i came to the opinion that Phillipps is a real asset to BCFC.You think he is poor and i think Phillipps is good but those in charge seem to always think the latter! Hopefully in a season or two we can go over the same topic with BCFC in the championship :city:

We will have to agree to disagree!

I certainly hope weare able to discuss this topic in the context of a Championship season!

Guest redphilc

If you read what has just been written mate, you'll see that people are slating Phillips. Having been to all the home games and having seen highlights of the away games, he seems to be playing no poorer that most. The confidence has been at an unbelievable low throughout the team. If we dropped/rested all the players that have underperformed this season we'd only have Brooker, Heywood and Cotterill on the pitch.

Give Phillips competetion by all means. I certainly hope that he is still focused on improving on his weaknesses. But I disagree when people undermine his ability.

Fortune should not be in the starting line-up. However I refuse to accept that he's a 'donkey' as many label him, or 'simply useless' as you put it. You're getting carried away. He has had good games when at his best but has never had many successive games which for any footballer is crucial. I think part of people view comes from the fact that he has a naturally clumsy look to him because of those gangly legs. He does know how to play the ball out of defence though as well as using those long legs to make life awkward for attackers. Obviously with his height he has aerial precense in his favour too. Alike Carey, Woodman and Jamie Smith, he has not played well lately and will have to work hard to regain a place, particularly with Partridge and Heywood looking steady at the moment.

Golbourne gets called useless by some people as well and that riles me the most. People criticised Matty Hill in exactly the same way, and I'd love to have him back.

Only my opinion though, slate 'em all if you like.

okay. I will try to explain.

Fortune has been in and around the first team for around 3 to 4 years and I have yet to see him play well for a full 90 minutes in all those years. He is too casual on the ball, lacks any sort of agression and is too easily knocked off the ball when in possession. In 3 or 4 years around the first team he has yet to make any impact or have a run in the team. This in itself adds to my argument that he is "simply useless".

He is unfit which is why GJ left him out the squad last night. One of the reasons he is unfit is because he is unproffesional and spends too much time trying to impress his friends on nights out drinking with them and other hangers on. He has no ambition which was shown when he turned down a move out of this division to Preston a couple of years ago (we accepted the offer but he decided to stay.) He stayed to win a regular place in the first team which two years later he still has failed to do and that is largely down to the fact he is one of those footballers described as "being in the comfort zone" or as I call it LAZY.

He has played 28 full appearances and (23) as sub according to soccerbase.com since the 2001/2002 season. He hasn't had any lengthy injuries in the time so I ask you is that a good enough return on our investimate in him?

I don't think it is and he would be one of the first guys to get the boot if I was GJ. Personally I am interested to find out what GJ thinks of him and what his plans are for him. I will trust GJ's judgement on this one.....

okay. I will try to explain.

Fortune has been in and around the first team for around 3 to 4 years and I have yet to see him play well for a full 90 minutes in all those years. He is too casual on the ball, lacks any sort of agression and is too easily knocked off the ball when in possession. In 3 or 4 years around the first team he has yet to make any impact or have a run in the team. This in itself adds to my argument that he is "simply useless".

He is unfit which is why GJ left him out the squad last night. One of the reasons he is unfit is because he is unproffesional and spends too much time trying to impress his friends on nights out drinking with them and other hangers on. He has no ambition which was shown when he turned down a move out of this division to Preston a couple of years ago (we accepted the offer but he decided to stay.) He stayed to win a regular place in the first team which two years later he still has failed to do and that is largely down to the fact he is one of those footballers described as "being in the comfort zone" or as I call it LAZY.

He has played 28 full appearances and (23) as sub according to soccerbase.com since the 2001/2002 season. He hasn't had any lengthy injuries in the time so I ask you is that a good enough return on our investimate in him?

I don't think it is and he would be one of the first guys to get the boot if I was GJ. Personally I am interested to find out what GJ thinks of him and what his plans are for him. I will trust GJ's judgement on this one.....

So will I. He's clearly not the best defender at the club, but if he did knuckle down (and by the sounds of things, Johnson wouldn't have it any other way) it'll be intersting to see how his career progresses. All of your criticisms above are of his mental outlook, not his abilities (comfort zone, lazy, party boy, unaggressive, no ambition).

Also, Phillips played very well last night, keep it up Steve.

Archived