IGNORED

Gary Johnson: The Man Is A Genius - Fact!

Walshy

I still can't believe we have Gary Johnson as our manager. He was my first choice appointment, but I really thought we'd end up with the cheap option - Lennie Lawrence. I also didn't think Gary would leave Yeovil for us.

I've had the pleasure to meet GJ on a number of occasions. I've done some filming down at Yeovil (my second team behind City) for their club videos, and interviewed him a few times. He's a very approachable and friendly guy and had a great relationship with his players and supporters at Yeovil.

You would think that learning his management training from John Beck at Cambridge he would prefer a route 1 style of football. The Lativa job opened his eyes to a different way of thinking and he picked up a lot of knowledge from contacts on the international scene.

One of the first things he did when appointed manager of Yeovil was to demand that the club invest £100,000 on a new pitch at Huish Park. This was a lot of money for a non-league club, but has turned out to be money worth spending.

In terms of the playing squad at Yeovil, GJ got rid of the under-performing players - especially any players that liked to drink. In came young, fit players with a certain attitude. Possible new signings didn't just have to have a lot of technical ability - they had to have the right attitude. They also had to live in the Yeovil area. A new fitness regime was introduced, players diets were monitored and the players also had to have regular dental check-ups (seems a strange one, but players can't perform to the best of their ability if they have bad teeth!).

The results have seen Yeovil play attractive, attacking football in a system that GJ believes can beat anyone. In the last couple of seasons Yeovil have knocked higher opposition out of the cups - Wrexham, Bournemouth, Plymouth and Rotherham, and were unlucky to be beaten by Liverpool and Charlton. Even when I wasn't filming I was still going to Yeovil games (even if City were at home - sorry!) because I had become dis-illusioned with the boring football in the Danny Wilson era.

GJ demands 100% at all times. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to have a video camera in the dressing room for a pre-season friendly vs Preston. Yeovil were preparing for their first season in the Football League against a Div 1 (Championship) side. Preston were winning 3-1, but Yeovil pulled it back to 3-3 at half-time. The players came into the dressing room really happy about drawing level, but GJ gave them a proper roasting about conceding three goals, which brought them back down to earth! His team-talks are honest and motivational.

He is a great tactician. If things aren't working out, he's not afraid to make an early substitution. I saw a number of first half substitutions at Yeovil that were purely tactical - and they always worked. As we saw yesterday, within a couple of minutes of Steve Brooker coming on he had scored.

We now have the best manager in a very long time. Give him time though because he has to change the mentality of a lot of players. Some will definitely be shown the door! In terms of new players, I really hope we get former Glover Gavin Williams on-loan from West Ham. He hasn't featured at all this season, but he's class. Yeovil fans didn't call him 'Super Gav' for nothing. He can play on the right or left wing. He'd definitely want to come here to team up with GJ. Swansea were interested, but Gav is a Cardiff fan.

Paul Parry from Cardiff is a skilful left-winger that GJ tried to sign for Yeovil. He's been sub quite a lot, so might be worth seeing if we could get him on loan.

Gary's son Lee would also be a great signing in January. He is the play-maker that we have been missing. Some Yeovil fans don't appreciate him, but he has a great footballing brain and is often one step ahead of some of his team-mates. I don't know if Lee would want to team up with his dad again though, even though there were rumours that he was unsettled at Yeovil.

Sorry to have gone on a bit, but I'm so excited about City for the first time in a number of years. I cant wait for Tuesday. Put a bet on us winning the league while the odds are still good!

Wooooo, love it mate, roll on the next 36 games :chant6ez:

Same here, can't believe we got Gary but man am I glad and damn excited about the rest of the season.

To basically win us the game before kick off was absolute genius - quick, innovative thinking that we would never have seen under Tinnion (or Wilson at that). Motivational, inspirational, magnificent - what else can I say about the guy?

What are the odds for us winning the league then...?! Not that I can legally bet, but you know there's always a way... :shifty:

• Admin

Gary's son Lee would also be a great signing in January. He is the play-maker that we have been missing. Some Yeovil fans don't appreciate him, but he has a great footballing brain and is often one step ahead of some of his team-mates. I don't know if Lee would want to team up with his dad again though, even though there were rumours that he was unsettled at Yeovil.

This is exactly the player Alex Russell is "supposed" to be !.

I thought he was rumoured to be back for the Brentford game ????

Thanks for the insight Walshy.

It does look as if there will be a major revolution at AG over the coming months both on and off the pitch.The players must be wetting themselves with anxiety as Johnson's reputation goes before him.

To be fair, its exactly what the club needs.A fresh approach with the emphasis on fitness and decent football.

I just hope that Johnson doesn't lose as many games at City as he did at Yeovil.The stats show that that promoted sides from Division 1 rarely lose more than 10 games over a season and City have already lost four...

I've just watched the goals from Saturday on World and I'm very impressed with what they showed of our approach play. If we can keep up that level of intelligent, probing passing then we are in for some real treats at the Gate.

Last week I was thinking that it was a crap time to be a City fan. Second bottom, no manager, the possibility of Lennie Lawrence coming in, rumours of boardroom unrest with Laycock's resignation etc - the future didn't look so good then.

This appointment is the best thing to happen to this football club in a long time and I haven't looked forward to a game since the playoff final as much as I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

The other thing to add is that he has made a huge difference already and he had only known the players for a few hours before yesterday's game! He said the right things before the game and got us playing good football and had the players really playing hard for the first time this season. Imagine the possibilities of how well we can play when he's had time to work with the players in training.

Guest alex1089

Some of the passing play really was superb and we picked out gaps in there defence so easilly. If thats not our best passing game under GJ then imadgine what will be!

I've just watched the goals from Saturday on World and I'm very impressed with what they showed of our approach play. If we can keep up that level of intelligent, probing passing then we are in for some real treats at the Gate.

Last week I was thinking that it was a crap time to be a City fan. Second bottom, no manager, the possibility of Lennie Lawrence coming in, rumours of boardroom unrest with Laycock's resignation etc - the future didn't look so good then.

This appointment is the best thing to happen to this football club in a long time and I haven't looked forward to a game since the playoff final as much as I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

The other thing to add is that he has made a huge difference already and he had only known the players for a few hours before yesterday's game! He said the right things before the game and got us playing good football and had the players really playing hard for the first time this season. Imagine the possibilities of how well we can play when he's had time to work with the players in training.

You watched the goals on World...?, hmmm I can't see em, the latest Highlights I can see are from the Forrest game!

Archived