IGNORED

Legends & Stand Names

BS4 on Tour...

Afternoon all,

I've heard alot recently about naming a stand after Brian Tinnion etc and I've also heard it said that BT was our greatest servant since John Atyeo.

I agree that BT is a Bristol City legend and his loyalty needs to be rewarded in some way but I think a degree of perspective needs to be kept in mind.

Players such as Rob Newman and Andy Llewellyn have also shown the same sort of loyalty, commitment and passion as BT and we must never forget the Ashton Gate Eight and what they did to secure the future of our club.

I also hate the way sponsorship dilutes our heroes with stands being called "The Carling Atyeo Stand" etc. This is an insult to the great man.

We only have four stands so to pick 4 legends to name them after is an extremely difficult task. Why don't we start a Bristol City Hall of Fame where our real legends can be honoured in the form of statues etc. This could be a main feature of our new East End Stand.

I think it should include:

John Atyeo

Brian Tinnion

Gerry Gow

Tom Ritchie

Paul Cheesley

Jacki Dziekanowski

Bob Taylor

Rob Newman

Andy Llewellyn

Glyn Riley

All the Ashton Gate 8

All legends in their own way!

Any thoughts?

Afternoon all,

I've heard alot recently about naming a stand after Brian Tinnion etc and I've also heard it said that BT was our greatest servant since John Atyeo.

I agree that BT is a Bristol City legend and his loyalty needs to be rewarded in some way but I think a degree of perspective needs to be kept in mind.

Players such as Rob Newman and Andy Llewellyn have also shown the same sort of loyalty, commitment and passion as BT and we must never forget the Ashton Gate Eight and what they did to secure the future of our club.

I also hate the way sponsorship dilutes our heroes with stands being called "The Carling Atyeo Stand" etc. This is an insult to the great man.

We only have four stands so to pick 4 legends to name them after is an extremely difficult task. Why don't we start a Bristol City Hall of Fame where our real legends can be honoured in the form of statues etc. This could be a main feature of our new East End Stand.

John Atyeo

Brian Tinnion

Gerry Gow

Tom Ritchie

Paul Cheesley

Jacki Dziekanowski

Bob Taylor

Rob Newman

Andy Llewellyn

Glyn Riley

All the Ashton Gate 8

Any thoughts?

A hall of fame is a bloody good idea. An absolutely cracking idea that I think we should do something about.

Sadly, I can tell you that the cost of a statue for each of them would be prohibitive. I would love the ground to have at least one proper statue in honour of a player (presumably Atyeo though it'd be up for debate). The cost of commissioning and creating a life-sized statue of a player was roughly £50k about three years ago. That is a hell of a lot of money for the fans to raise, which is how I believe a statue to pay tribute to a player should be funded.

But that does not mean the club should not have a hall of fame - perhaps with each nominated player having a 'star' and a photo or a handprint if living, something of that ilk. Something like that to add the tradition and history of our club would be a wonderful addition - perhaps in the Red and White Bar or somewhere? We could induct ten or so at the opening, then the fans could vote to add one player each year as they do in other halls of fame. It would create interest among fans, educate us all about the great men who have worn the red and white shirt over the decades, and give us all an appreciation that we are part of something. It would also create a display at the ground that would be worth every fan seeing.

I would love to get involved in organising something like this...but would it have the support of the fans and the club? What does everyone else think?

Guest paulton rovers red

The trouble is that if the stand was the tinnion stand

for 13 years it would be the best stand in our league and be the envy of all other clubs then it would crumble and fall to pieces leaving a big mess for someone else to sort out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Afternoon all,

John Atyeo

Brian Tinnion

Gerry Gow

Tom Ritchie

Paul Cheesley

Jacki Dziekanowski

Bob Taylor

Rob Newman

Andy Llewellyn

Glyn Riley

All the Ashton Gate 8

Any thoughts?

Great post.

As stated recently, there has been talk about changing the name of the wedlock stand when rebuilt. After considering the views on various posts, it maybe best to leave it as the "new wedlock stand" and go with your suggestion - "a hall of fame". I also agree that it is essential that the famous 8 are never forgotton.

With regard to Tins, I would like to see the guy officially leave with with a decent send off, thank him for his services and if at all possible have his name tagged to a new stand/development. That could be as little as naming a conference room / suite after him. Having said that your suggestion can accomodate alot of ex-players who have shown flair and sometimes loyality to our club.

why don't we get the groundsman to mow the pitch in a pattern that makes Brians face appear in the grass.

Or even at half time the entire Dolman stand could present a short performance piece based loosely around Brians acheivements at AG, featuring one legged dancing and a reconstruction of 'our Brians' goal at Liverpool

Maybe we could get Coke to create some special Tinnion shaped coke bottles to sell (at only a bit more than usual - £5.00 then - the top could pop off at regular intervals and the contents spilling out making a mess for someone else to clean up)

How about a foam characature of Tinnion that could wander around with the robin/cat

what about rebuilding the club shop in the shape of Brians head, the mouth could be the door and you can go in an pay good money for rubbish goods.

or we could all get a grip and move forward with our new manager.

why don't we get the groundsman to mow the pitch in a pattern that makes Brians face appear in the grass.

Or even at half time the entire Dolman stand could present a short performance piece based loosely around Brians acheivements at AG, featuring one legged dancing and a reconstruction of 'our Brians' goal at Liverpool

Maybe we could get Coke to create some special Tinnion shaped coke bottles to sell (at only a bit more than usual - £5.00 then - the top could pop off at regular intervals and the contents spilling out making a mess for someone else to clean up)

How about a foam characature of Tinnion that could wander around with the robin/cat

what about rebuilding the club shop in the shape of Brians head, the mouth could be the door and you can go in an pay good money for rubbish goods.

or we could all get a grip and move forward with our new manager.

This is a forum for debate....................whatever subject. I think every true city fan is entitled to an opinion. and for the record we are moving forward with our new manager........................... Every club has a history mate and there is nout wrong with remembering players and directors who have done our club proud. P.S the post was quite funny though in fairness !

Maybe the supporters (trust?) could raise money for a statue of Ateyo to go outside the new stand?

don't forget to check your spelling Sly, I got caught out on that !!!

:)

A hall of fame is a bloody good idea. An absolutely cracking idea that I think we should do something about.

Sadly, I can tell you that the cost of a statue for each of them would be prohibitive. I would love the ground to have at least one proper statue in honour of a player (presumably Atyeo though it'd be up for debate). The cost of commissioning and creating a life-sized statue of a player was roughly £50k about three years ago. That is a hell of a lot of money for the fans to raise, which is how I believe a statue to pay tribute to a player should be funded.

But that does not mean the club should not have a hall of fame - perhaps with each nominated player having a 'star' and a photo or a handprint if living, something of that ilk. Something like that to add the tradition and history of our club would be a wonderful addition - perhaps in the Red and White Bar or somewhere? We could induct ten or so at the opening, then the fans could vote to add one player each year as they do in other halls of fame. It would create interest among fans, educate us all about the great men who have worn the red and white shirt over the decades, and give us all an appreciation that we are part of something. It would also create a display at the ground that would be worth every fan seeing.

I would love to get involved in organising something like this...but would it have the support of the fans and the club? What does everyone else think?

Count me in mate.................sounds great idea.

Had 2 pints for lunch so can't see the mistake?!!! you tell me...

ATYEO !!

You may upset some folk with a mistype !

As fun as it was to watch Jacki there is absolutely no way on earth he deserves a spot in that list.

Nibor

Jacki is more of a cult hero than a legend. Didn't he only play around 40 games for us? I'd agree he shouldn't be in a hall of fame, but if it was done on a vote and he was voted in by fans then that would be fair enough really.

Afternoon all,

John Atyeo

Brian Tinnion

Gerry Gow

Tom Ritchie

Paul Cheesley

Jacki Dziekanowski

Bob Taylor

Rob Newman

Andy Llewellyn

Glyn Riley

All the Ashton Gate 8

Any thoughts?

In fairnes my idea would be to name the stand after somone like Wedlock/Lansdown etc but if there

is executive box's then have players names on them people like the Ashton Gate eight that would take up 8 boxs for a start and they did help save this great club for us to support now and forever.

Guest MaloneFM

I collared Lord Colin Sex and asked him what the name of the new stand would be. He said it would still be the Wedlock stand.

But Lord Col I protested we are supposed to have a shirt number, none of us saw fatty Wedlock play, if you called it the Colin Sex East End or whoever I would buy a season ticket right now. All it has to have is the name East End attached to it and the seats would sell themselves.

Is there not still a North Bank? A Kop (more than one) and a Shed at the Chelse?

Lord Sex said he always thought of it as 'the covered end' and not the East End.

You're on your own there Lord Col as the name Wedlock stand has never really caught on. Even Sir Steve Purdown has said about the East End being open to home supporters for certain games.

By the way that demolition is taking a hell of a time. Is it being dissolved in a hot bath?

In fairnes my idea would be to name the stand after somone like Wedlock/Lansdown etc but if there

is executive box's then have players names on them people like the Ashton Gate eight that would take up 8 boxs for a start and they did help save this great club for us to support now and forever.

Oh Gawd. I'm not sure I'd have a stand named after someone who is still living and working at the club. It strikes me as hugely egotistical - much like the Doug Ellis stand at Villa Park. I do like the idea of Exec Boxes named after the Ashton Gate Eight though.

Archived