IGNORED

Swearing At Football..

Sir Colby-Tit

All this family block or stand rubbish at footie really annoys me!!

I've been taking my kids to the GATE since they could walk, and i've never worried about where in the ground i take them. In fact, until they opened the EAST END for us and i took them in there for the first time, it was becoming hard to get them to go to games, as they were so bored sitting in the DOLMAN!! They then experienced something of what an old time atmosphere was like, and couldn't get enough of it!!

When it was suggested we go in E block with all the others that we had mingled with in the EAST END, but until then had all been spread out around the ground, they were all for it and loved the atmosphere up there, swearing and all!! In fact one of the games they disliked the most and found really boring was stoke at wembley, when we were forced to go in the family enclosure because of no concessions being available elsewhere. The only time for them at the old wembley and the have no fond memories of it!!!

I often swear at football and many other times, and my kids have heard me and i'm sure they knew every swear word going by the time they left the infants, and probably now know words we aren't even aware of as being swear words yet, but it certainly hasn't had any adverse affect on them!!

Their behaviour at school is exemplary according to their reports, they can mix in adult company in all sorts of different situations and are kind and considerate to others. In fact, on the occasions my wife now goes down the GATE ( she doesn't like the atmosphere anymore) she gets annoyed if my mates start acting differently around her, especialy if they apologise for swearing!!She works in childcare and obviously doesn't hear swearing (well not usualy anyway) at work, but would rather me and my friends act naturaly around her, and certainly doesn't find it offensive!!

Quite often the people that seem the most outraged are the ones that use swearing when they are with there mates, but act totally different with their own families!!

At the end of the day it is only words that will not hurt anyone, there are far more important things in life to worry about!!!!!!!!!!

It's easy to say 'no swearing' from this day on at AG.

Enforcing it is another matter entirely, allmost impossible.

No problem with swearing at football games though, we all do it, but then some continue to swear when they leave aswell.

I don't have a problem with people swearing as such,i just consider them thick if every word has Fooook after it!

People who feel in nessassary to swear everyday at everything probably do so because they can't articulate

their words constructivly in a way that gets their point across with punch.

This is down to poor education and parenting.

It'll be interesting to find out how many of those who condone swearing and can see nothing wrong with it are in the 14 - 30 age group.

I am appalled at the amount of swearing that emanates from the mouths of young people - not only at football games but also in public in the streets.

You can say what you like but it was NEVER like that when I was a teenager - and I was brought up in Hartcliffe in the 60's.

We were raised to respect women and children and, though we swore when in conversation with other lads, you NEVER did in front of women and children and NEVER at the top of your voice like I've seen some kids do. I still wince inwardly when I hear a man swear in front of women and children.

Yet, these days, we see lads and girls stood in groups swearing every other word, spitting on the ground and generally being totally repulsive. I really can't get over seeing young women spit - it just beggars belief. Do they realise how much they are degrading themselves? How can they expect the respect of their elders when they behave like that?

The bottom line is that there is absolutely no need for swearing and to say it's part of football and a working class thing is just a cop out. People swear because they don't have the vocabulary to put across what they mean with normal english words.

Therefore, you betray your intelligence when you bellow expletives at the top of your voice.

Yes, we all swear - but some of us are more conservative and considerate about it.

RANT OVER!

:grr:

Well, I'm forty three and I ###### LOVE swearing ! Seriously, I can see your point about betraying lack of intelligence if ALL you can do is swear, and yes, the "its a working man's game guvn'or, cor blimey, strewf we don't know any better" defence is pitiful to say the least.

But surely you'd admit that there's no denying that the odd effword or c-word. strategically placed, can be very funny ?

I love the lack of intelligence argument. Its a great argument, with absolutely no evidence.

People swear, so what?

And for the person who didn't know why drink was banned, take a look at Benerz' contribution to the thread following his antics at Forest, when he was a bit "cidered up" (Albeit it on alcopops!)

Thats just the beginning of it, too.

"its a working man's game guvn'or, cor blimey, strewf we don't know any better" defence is pitiful to say the least.

I think thats a little harsh, surely it is a fact that the average working class bloke, lets say for example who works on a building site, is far more likely to be swearing at X amount of swear words per min more than a highly educated toff from Eton working in a city office say?

I know everybody has the ability to swear, just that I'm under the impression the average working class bloke is more likely to swear at a football match than not.

Perhaps the club should just allocate a few more blocks as family ones and enforce banned swearing in them and leave the rest of us alone.

Nibor

Thats all well and good, but if your swearing in songs that your singing as loud as possible, they can be heard in the family stand.

I remember sitting in the old family stand with my dad, i could hear every single word that was being sung when it was at its loudest. So don't say stick them all in one place because the whole ground is effected.

Also whoever said if you don't like it don't go to the game, thats crap as well. People have the right to enjoy themselves at a game and if they don't want to hear continuous swearing then they shouldnt have to.

Of course we should be entitled to swear and sing chants with swearing in them.

I could offer a reasoned argument or go into a passionate rant about the Disney-fying of our game but frankly I've gone through it all before.

I went to football as a kid. I heard the swearing, but I understood that you used different language for different social situations. I'm already taking my kids and I'll have no qualms about it. It's not hard to make them understand that what they hear in a football ground stays there.

I do hate it when the authorities try to interfere like this. They've done enough damage to the atmosphere at games, some of it justified and some of it not, without all this.

If the club don't want us to swear, they should stop signing players that play so ######ing ###### sometimes. :shutup:

People have the right to enjoy themselves at a game and if they don't want to hear continuous swearing then they shouldnt have to.

Ok so if people have been enjoying themselves at a game for 40 years by singing football songs some of which contain swearing should they suddenly have to stop because some PC middle class mum can't cope with her kids hearing it? Is there a law against swearing in public?

I could equally argue that people who don't want to hear continual dopey questions and kids screeching shouldn't have to either.

Nibor

PS I am very much playing the devil's advocate here :P

Football has always attracted everyday folk (without trying to turn it into a class thing), and not only are they being pushed to their limits as far as ticket prices are concerned, but at Ashton Gate are being told to sit down, shut up and don't complain about a thing. Bxxxxxcks to that and their patronising letter.

'Real City fans' need a stand where there is:

A) no allocated seating, sit where you please,

B) cusswords allowed

C) smoking

D) a bloody good atmosphere

Families can sit elsewhere, as can non-smokers or anybody who wishes to sit quietly in a pre-booked seat (pretend you're at the theatre why don't ya).

There would be a wall of sound from this area, I bet you!

I love the lack of intelligence argument. Its a great argument, with absolutely no evidence.

People swear, so what?

And for the person who didn't know why drink was banned, take a look at Benerz' contribution to the thread following his antics at Forest, when he was a bit "cidered up" (Albeit it on alcopops!)

You see 2 people arguing, one is choosing his words carefully and not swearing, the other is loseing his cool and swearing for England, who could you bet has the higher IQ?

You don't need evidence to prove this arguement, just common sence to understand it.

No it's not acceptable, it's essential. I'm amazed that anyone has noticed let alone complained about it. It does sadden me that the middle classes are trying to take over football as they have everything else, and whatever they don't like they will ban, smoking, drinking, swearing, next it will be "unhealthy" food "offensive" t-shirts, jeans, trainers, hooded tops, anything that doesn't fit in with their vegetarian, evian drinking, ikea going lifestyle (I know you shouldn't generalise but I need to to make the point).

In a few years time the gate will be full of people wearing ipods, reading books and looking up to clap politely when the announcer tells them a goals been scored.

You see 2 people arguing, one is choosing his words carefully and not swearing, the other is loseing his cool and swearing for England, who could you bet has the higher IQ?

You don't need evidence to prove this arguement, just common sence to understand it.

That is a completely different context. I know hundreds of people who are completely capable of keeping their cool and using their vocabulary in an argument that will happily join in with a song containing swearing at a football match.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Nibor

That is a completely different context. I know hundreds of people who are completely capable of keeping their cool and using their vocabulary in an argument that will happily join in with a song containing swearing at a football match.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Nibor

Yeah i know, i'm one of them.

As i said before i think swearing at football is fine, in fact i might encourage it, i was just making a point that people who swear lots in their day to day life are usually less educated than people who don't,

it's just an observation..

Football has always attracted everyday folk (without trying to turn it into a class thing), and not only are they being pushed to their limits as far as ticket prices are concerned, but at Ashton Gate are being told to sit down, shut up and don't complain about a thing. Bxxxxxcks to that and their patronising letter.

'Real City fans' need a stand where there is:

A) no allocated seating, sit where you please,

B) cusswords allowed

C) smoking

D) a bloody good atmosphere

Families can sit elsewhere, as can non-smokers or anybody who wishes to sit quietly in a pre-booked seat (pretend you're at the theatre why don't ya).

There would be a wall of sound from this area, I bet you!

I go to the gate with my family and none of us want to sit in the family block. My son knows all the songs and he is only 10, but he also knows that he is not allowed to repeat any of these songs swear words. He also spends 80% of the game standing because he says it's more fun. So just because were a family does not mean that we all complain and want to sit in an area were the atmosphere is dull. :city:

In answer to your question-yes.

I find it hard to fathom how anyone can forge an argument in finding it unexceptable when swearing can be heard from players and coaching staff a like.

I understand that there is a mentality that people may not want their kids, wife, girlfriend to be exposed to that language but lets face it it is no worse than what they hear on Tv or in the playgrounds at home etc.

Football is a working class game and the stadia is a melting pot of many different cultures and classes, lets keep it that way and save it from middle classs sanitisation.

I maybe considered as middle class but i have no wish to ban swearing - blame sanitisation on the politically correct not the middle class. I agree it has always been part of the banter (although the most humourous chants generally don't involve swearing!!). I sit in the Williams and object more to the old codger sitting behind me and my 9 year old, spending 90 minutes continually moaning about City(even against Barnsley) than to swearing - and he ain't middle class.

:grr:

People swear, so what?

Had to Bring it up didnt you..

My antics at forest eh? Were you there?

Half people don't even no what went on up there and still mange to bring it up.. That thread went from part BS to complete BS

Anything else you would like to say dan?

I go to the gate with my family and none of us want to sit in the family block. My son knows all the songs and he is only 10, but he also knows that he is not allowed to repeat any of these songs swear words. He also spends 80% of the game standing because he says it's more fun. So just because were a family does not mean that we all complain and want to sit in an area were the atmosphere is dull. :city:

Yeh I should have clarified 'families who don't like the behavious of the average fan' but that was too long-winded. Hope you understand and appreciate the points I made. If there are contrasting views on how to 'enjoy' the football experience let each group enjoy it in seperate parts of the ground (never thought I'd call for segregation!).

Hope you get me on this one.

No it's not acceptable, it's essential. I'm amazed that anyone has noticed let alone complained about it. It does sadden me that the middle classes are trying to take over football as they have everything else, and whatever they don't like they will ban, smoking, drinking, swearing, next it will be "unhealthy" food "offensive" t-shirts, jeans, trainers, hooded tops, anything that doesn't fit in with their vegetarian, evian drinking, ikea going lifestyle (I know you shouldn't generalise but I need to to make the point).

In a few years time the gate will be full of people wearing ipods, reading books and looking up to clap politely when the announcer tells them a goals been scored.

You're right, football's being ruined before my eyes and it's gutting. Maybe fanpower can win the war though. Maybe.

Guest MaloneFM

Ok kids gather round uncle Rog will you?

Look kids swearing isnt cool ok? You don't see the pop stars like Cliff or Billy Fury swearing do you? And we all know it makes baby jesus cry.

So ###### pack it in you foul mouthed little ***** :@

Wow those asterixes really look pretty all in a line like that.

I hope so..

We will be all turning up with suits and tie and 70 nicotine patches stuck to us soon!

Mate I'm a non-smoker (at this point in time!) but I wouldn't dream of supporting a ban on smoking. It's the principal of the thing. If hoodies were banned at football as someone commented on earlier, I think I'd march down Ashton Gate and bang on doors until I received an explanation (or a night in a cell).

Now I'm confused. I'm a vegetarian, and an evian drinker, and I shop at Ikea, I've got an ipod, read a lot of books and I'm middle class. But I smoke like a chimney, swear like a trooper, drink lots of Thatchers and hate what's happening to football.

I'm off for a lie down!

Now I'm confused. I'm a vegetarian, and an evian drinker, and I shop at Ikea, I've got an ipod, read a lot of books and I'm middle class. But I smoke like a chimney, swear like a trooper, drink lots of Thatchers and hate what's happening to football.

I'm off for a lie down!

o My I'm coming with you!

i find it hard not to swear in the heat of the moment.

if people are so fussy to not like swearing then why not sit in a quieter place, there are many around the ground.

i guess Ogdens Nut Gone flake ..........is more difficult to explain to a child....... but my lad loves the naughty words........ he already knows them but does not know what they mean..... apart from the fact that they are naughty............. and I have done my best to explain them at a level that a nipper would understand....... if you see what i mean?

I would not stop taking him to games because of it etc

Archived