IGNORED

Swearing At Football..

Sir Colby-Tit

That is a completely different context. I know hundreds of people who are completely capable of keeping their cool and using their vocabulary in an argument that will happily join in with a song containing swearing at a football match.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Nibor

Asolutely, we should really leave this stereotypes elsewhere.

I have a high IQ, I do not swear at work yet I consider myself working class. I swear at football more than I should, I use the words pr... and tw... a lot.

What stereotype do I fit into then? I guarantee nobody can describe my character based on my behaviour at football.

As for the kids picking up swearing, when asked my Dad what came after "My old Man, Said Be A Rovers Fan.." he told me and said that whilst I could use swear words as long as it wasn't in front of my Mum and Sisters, I should never use the c word. I haven't and I don't. It doesn't bother me in the slightest when other people do though, I am used to it. the point is, bring your children up right and they'll do what you tell them NOT what everyone else does!!

Yeh I should have clarified 'families who don't like the behavious of the average fan' but that was too long-winded. Hope you understand and appreciate the points I made. If there are contrasting views on how to 'enjoy' the football experience let each group enjoy it in seperate parts of the ground (never thought I'd call for segregation!).

Hope you get me on this one.

I do get you on this and was not being funny about your comment!

As a young child i always went to watch my dad play Saturday legue football and it was only there he swore like a trooper. He told me he did it cause he was so passionate about the game. The singing at the match makes the atmosphere better and is harmless fun. However my old man would never tell me to be a rovers fan. He knows better then that! :city:

Now I'm confused. I'm a vegetarian, and an evian drinker, and I shop at Ikea, I've got an ipod, read a lot of books and I'm middle class. But I smoke like a chimney, swear like a trooper, drink lots of Thatchers and hate what's happening to football.

I'm off for a lie down!

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of those things, with the exception of vegeatrianism I'm the same. My point is some people think that because they live a certain way, then everyone else should do as well. I spend all week in an office, wearing a suit and tie, going to meetings and behaving appropriately for that environment, but when on my own time and spending my own money, I want to be able to behave how I like (within reason and the law) and enjoy myself without being dicated to by the thought police. I'm not asking anyone to adopt my lifestyle so why should I adopt anyone elses ? Tolerance that's all I'm saying, happy clappy, peace and love to all city fans !

I'm going to bed...........

No it's not acceptable, it's essential. I'm amazed that anyone has noticed let alone complained about it. It does sadden me that the middle classes are trying to take over football as they have everything else, and whatever they don't like they will ban, smoking, drinking, swearing, next it will be "unhealthy" food "offensive" t-shirts, jeans, trainers, hooded tops, anything that doesn't fit in with their vegetarian, evian drinking, ikea going lifestyle (I know you shouldn't generalise but I need to to make the point).

In a few years time the gate will be full of people wearing ipods, reading books and looking up to clap politely when the announcer tells them a goals been scored.

Working class twaddle - I have smoked (given up after 15 years), I drink excessively, swear too much, love unhealthy food, IKEA???, Ipods????? Don't confuse politically correct with middle class. Working class bigotted - surely not. You sound like Tony Blair.

Guest DrFaustus

Marvellous. A convoluted thread debating whether swearing should be allowed at football! What next? Farting in the lavvy, should it be banned? Banging one off in the shower - a case for capital punishment? Organic dental floss - is there something fishy going on?

Keep it up ladies and gentlemen, this is very therapeutic.

Whether I use profanities or not depends entirely on the company I'm keeping.I don't swear (much) at work for example but if I'm enjoying a few pints in the Sawyers with some mates then I might lower the standard of my volcabulary.

The same goes at football - unless City are slaughtering the opposition,then I wax lyrical..... :rofl2br:

This is all well and good, but the club wont now issue a letter to the G -Block, saying:

Ummm.. We had 2 complaints, one letter and one FCF member, and we handed out a letter to you, threating to eject you or BAN you from the club. We now have 65 members on the site saying swearing is an accectable part of football so we are sorry for over reacting to you.

Damage is done

I maybe considered as middle class but i have no wish to ban swearing - blame sanitisation on the politically correct not the middle class. I agree it has always been part of the banter (although the most humourous chants generally don't involve swearing!!). I sit in the Williams and object more to the old codger sitting behind me and my 9 year old, spending 90 minutes continually moaning about City(even against Barnsley) than to swearing - and he ain't middle class.

:grr:

:handbags: Good for you mate! :Sleep12:

Had to Bring it up didnt you..

My antics at forest eh? Were you there?

Half people don't even no what went on up there and still mange to bring it up.. That thread went from part BS to complete BS

Anything else you would like to say dan?

I had a go at you at the TIME because you were by your own admittance a bit of a knob that night.

However I will stand up for you now as I have done before and say you apologised and this is in the past...............please people stop bringing it up as a point to win a petty squable! :Sleep12:

You see 2 people arguing, one is choosing his words carefully and not swearing, the other is loseing his cool and swearing for England, who could you bet has the higher IQ?

You don't need evidence to prove this arguement, just common sence to understand it.

All this proves is that the second man is more emotional than the first, and has less self control. His intelligence has nothing to do with it!

I am a company director, and my company is involved in some cutting-edge Software Development. I am over 35 yrs old and have been watching my beloved team longer than I can remember. I (and the people around me) would consider me to have a higher intelligence than average. I don't swear often in my business dealings, or in my day to day life, but when I am at AG and am getting frustrated with the team/Ref/Oppo fans/anything, I swear like the proverbial trooper. It is used to express yourself more forcefully, and as long as it does not directly abuse anyone for their Race/Religion/Colour/Intelligence/etc and as long as it does not incite violence in any way, then f *** it! If you don't like it, sit elswhere!

As Bill Shankly once said: "Football is not a matter of life and death, it is more important than that!"

NodBadTheRed

MOD NOTE: Please refrain from bypassing the word filters.

• Admin

Now I'm confused. I'm a vegetarian, and an evian drinker, and I shop at Ikea, I've got an ipod, read a lot of books and I'm middle class. But I smoke like a chimney, swear like a trooper, drink lots of Thatchers and hate what's happening to football.

I'm off for a lie down!

o My I'm coming with you!

Now that really is very liberal and PC

:laugh:

Guest DrFaustus

I swear like the proverbial trooper. It is used to express yourself more forcefully, and as long as it does not directly abuse anyone for their Race/Religion/Colour/Intelligence/etc and as long as it does not incite violence in any way, then **** it! If you don't like it, sit elswhere!

Oops. Schoolboy error. AdamB banned me and Neo for such misdemeanors. Expect your papers shortly Sir.

Alternatively, he will ignore it as it wasn't posted by a YSC bod or a Rovers fan. :D

Guest MaloneFM

Just a wide receiver then?

I say sir bad form!

Firstly you are cursed with cerebal gas. For which you suffer and will suffer until the press gang snag a victim in one of the pubs on Horfield common.

Secondly you are accusing this fellow of being a botter. As a medical man you must have a better term for this in one of your dusty books.

Set to it doctor-stout fellow!

Guest DrFaustus

Doctor - lend me your good lady for an evening and I will put this matter to bed once & for all :razz:

Good lady? Oh the hormonal Yorkshirewoman! Good luck my friend, all her boydfriends are jockeys like you. :)

Guest MaloneFM

Good lady? Oh the hormonal Yorkshirewoman! Good luck my friend, all her boydfriends are jockeys like you. :)

So, out of the house over the weekend while Hartlepool are in town then doctor? Seems she has a freind in Adam BOYD.

Get a basic education for tha sake of the lord :doh:

Guest DrFaustus

So, out of the house over the weekend while Hartlepool are in town then doctor? Seems she has a freind in Adam BOYD.

Get a basic education for tha sake of the lord :doh:

Spelling mistraks, the bayne ov thiss forrum Mistur Malown.

Having read the letter handed out to G block on Tuesday night, I'd like to canvass your opinion on the swearing debate.

I personally feel that the whole matter has been blown out of proportion. I sit in C Block of the Dullmoan & can hear all the chants coming from G Block & can't understand what the big deal is. I can only think that the complaints followed the "My Old Man..." chant. I've been going to AG for 30 years (on & off) and can't remember a time when this song hasn't been sung.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could be offended enough to raise a complaint. Fair enough if any chant is racist, sexist, homophobic etc, but just swearing?

Do these people complaining really want football to be sanitised any more than it already is? All seater stadia has already single-handedly killed off the marity of the atmosphere, do we really need our own fans attempting to kill it completely?

Kids these days hear swearing from a young age & grow up with it. I'm not saying this is a good thing but it's a fact of life. Does anyone on this forum know anyone who has been genuinly upset by what they have heard at AG, because I don't.

I also feel that the subbers are taking a lot of unnecessary abuse over this. I post regularly on the sub site. I don't sit with them, drink with them, or know any of them personally but I can tell you they are just a bunck of like-minded blokes that are up for a laugh & are all City mad, and are not hooligans in any way, shape or form.

me thinks things like- whale oil, beef hooked should be allowed!

:yawn:

I had a go at you at the TIME because you were by your own admittance a bit of a knob that night.

However I will stand up for you now as I have done before and say you apologised and this is in the past...............please people stop bringing it up as a point to win a petty squable! :Sleep12:

Thanks.. So your the big bloke that shouted at moi ?

People keep bring it up its getting boring now..

I am appalled at the amount of swearing that emanates from the mouths of young people - not only at football games but also in public in the streets.

You can say what you like but it was NEVER like that when I was a teenager - and I was brought up in Hartcliffe in the 60's.

:grr:

Did you never stand in the East End in the late 60's and 70's?

Every week the chanting and singing included swearing, I'm not having a go at you SR, but are you telling us you have never sworn at a football match?

Did you never stand in the East End in the late 60's and 70's?

Every week the chanting and singing included swearing, I'm not having a go at you SR, but are you telling us you have never sworn at a football match?

indeed - the first time I ever heard the word 'WAXXXR' was in the East End in the early 70s - having led a sheltered life in Longwell Green until that point, I had no idea what it meant (I was probably about 7 at the time!). The idea that there was no swearing in this era is simply rubbish.

Well_Red

PS: I also seem to remember there were two groups in the East End who chanted against each other at this time - one group would chant 'Celtic' and the other group would chant 'Rangers' (don't think it was sectarian, I think they were simply having a laugh, but who knows?)

Guest DrFaustus

PS: I also seem to remember there were two groups in the East End who chanted against each other at this time - one group would chant 'Celtic' and the other group would chant 'Rangers' (don't think it was sectarian, I think they were simply having a laugh, but who knows?)

That's like at our place at the moment with the ahem....'depreciating crowds' - someone shouted, "Oi Grant, how's it going?' a couple of games ago....it took a little while until the echo got to me.

Archived