IGNORED

Favorite City Game Of All Time.

mthorpe69

Hmmmm..the Hartlepool game was excellent and the game against the Gas a few season ago because it was the last day of work for Xmas hols and we dominated the game.

( And that Aaron Brown sprint, cross, Thorpe goal )

I think it was televised as well.

Hmmmm..the Hartlepool game was excellent and the game against the Gas a few season ago because it was the last day of work for Xmas hols and we dominated the game.

( And that Aaron Brown sprint, cross, Thorpe goal )

I think it was televised as well.

that'll be the 3-2 win. We were standing on our chairs in the ayteo singing. Brill atmosphere. :)

With out a doubt... City v hartlepool play off semi - final. What an amazing night that was eh :city:

Someone has the Roberts goal in motion on his avatar on here. I often just watch it over and over again. Still gets me grinning ear to ear :)

my favorite city game of all time is the 2-1 win against hartlepool at ashton gate in the playoff semi-finals, what a great nite even though we didnt go up, il never ever 4get the emotion wen goodfellow rose 2 plant that header in the corner, beautiful! :chant6ez:

agreed best set of game i spent oer 120 quid on ...i was only 16 too and well worth it ,at at anfield when everyone sang youl never walk alone and scarfs were in there air..wow what a night ..and i lost my ticket but found it at the last moment

Guest I bleed red 'n' white

my favorite city game of all time is the 2-1 win against hartlepool at ashton gate in the playoff semi-finals, what a great nite even though we didnt go up, il never ever 4get the emotion wen goodfellow rose 2 plant that header in the corner, beautiful! :chant6ez:

swansea 7 -1 city :doh:

It has to be the FA Cup replay in 1973 (I think!) when, having already drawn 1-1 at Ashton Gate, we went to Elland Road for an afternoon game (due to the ban on floodlights during the three day week/miners strike) and beat the best ever Leeds side (Jack Charlton, Billy Bremner, Allan Clarke, Peter Lorimer etc. etc) 1-0 with a Donny Gillies goal with about 20 minutes to go.

The followed the longest 20 mins of my life. I don't think we got out of our penalty box. There were shots off the line, bodies going down everywhere, shots against the post etc. etc.

But what a relief at the final whistle.

Leeds were top of Division 1 (equivalent to todays Premiership) and had been unbeaten for about 28 games. We were a struggling Division 2 side.

Next round we were drawn at home to Liverpool. No problem, we thought, they are only second in the league. We've already beaten the top team.

We lost 1-0 if my memory serves me right.

Happy days!!!!

Guest ashtonyate

I was at Manchester when we beat Man u 0-3 Great game, the game that had the biggest inpack on me was the 2-2 draw at Coventry. I smoked at the time I smoked 22 fags in the ground it was the most hardest game I have ever had to watched. The first away game I when to was a cup match in about 1953 at Colchester I remember it mostly because because my Mum a big lady got locked in the tolets at one of the stop. This was a very long trip as there was no motor ways in them days.

Apart from some of the obvious ones mentioned above i think that when city beat colchester 4-3 away a couple of years ago it was one of my favourites. Its such a long way to go and such a dingy little ground and we went 3-1 but to come back and win it was awesome.

Also the 4-4 draw away at Notts County a few years back was a really enjoyable day.

Beating Liverpool 2-1 at AG in 1977 in our (successful) bid to stay in Div 1. 38,000 in the ground, most of them in the East End I think. Fantastic!

:) Got to agree with you Ernie so much depended on that match,if fans thought the playoff game against hartlepool had the ground rocking then there was an earthquake that night. then the following tues night at coventry 2-2 with 20,000 city fans there most away fans at any away ground. after final whistle on the pitch you couldn't see a blade of grass cause of the red and white

Coventry 2 City 2 - 1976/77 season Div 1 ( Thats premier in new money)

38000 crammed into Highfield Road (Thats Ricoh arena in new money)

estimated 10000 from Brizzle..

Kick off delayed due to crowd congestion

Coming back from 2 down to level and avoid relegation to division 2 (thats Championship in new money)

Game ending over 5 minutes early because both teams safe and no one wanted to play anymore.

I went in a minibus from King Edmunds School in Yate....YES school trips in those days were to City away games...imagine that kids...

Thanks Mr Coleman if your still around.

Oh and of course City's first appearance at Wembley in 86 against Bolton

and Home to Portsmouth for promotion in 76

Wimbledon Away FA Cup 1-0

Colchester Away 3-4 was fun as well

Leicester Away FA Cup

Stoke Away FA Cup

Stockport Away FA Cup

The list is endless

:D

The first leg of the Littlewoods Cup semi-final at Forest when everybody expected us to get totally dicked and Paul Mardon put us 1-0 up. We held out until about 5 minutes from time and drew 1-1. 7,000 City fans there that night and a fantastic atmosphere.

:englandsmile4wf: Yeah and that was pender own goal yeah magic atmosphere

Guest Cadburyheath Red

Littlewoods Cup Semi Final against Forest. Just 'cause we were soooooooo close to , what was then, a proper cup final.

Or the Derby Vs City game on ITV, I think it was 4-3 to City. It had everything, Sending off, Out field player in goal, great comeback, last minute goal and a City win. Amazing :city:

I went to that derby game, city came back from 2-0 down & Derbys Andy Comyn scored an own goal to put City 3-2 up. The only thing that let it down was the Derby fans throwing coins and stones over the fence outside the ground after. Doesnt quite beat Liverpool at Anfield or the Hartlepool play off semi though.

It has to be the FA Cup replay in 1973 (I think!) when, having already drawn 1-1 at Ashton Gate, we went to Elland Road for an afternoon game (due to the ban on floodlights during the three day week/miners strike) and beat the best ever Leeds side (Jack Charlton, Billy Bremner, Allan Clarke, Peter Lorimer etc. etc) 1-0 with a Donny Gillies goal with about 20 minutes to go.

The followed the longest 20 mins of my life. I don't think we got out of our penalty box. There were shots off the line, bodies going down everywhere, shots against the post etc. etc.

But what a relief at the final whistle.

Leeds were top of Division 1 (equivalent to todays Premiership) and had been unbeaten for about 28 games. We were a struggling Division 2 side.

Next round we were drawn at home to Liverpool. No problem, we thought, they are only second in the league. We've already beaten the top team.

We lost 1-0 if my memory serves me right.

Happy days!!!!

Everything correct there. Although you failed to mention that prior to the game Leeds were unbeaten at home for nearly two years. Also the 2-2 draw at Coventry was probably my greatest memory. What a night that was. :city:

No doubt Coventry away 2-2. Totally orgasmic more away fans than home - actually took both ends of the ground that night. I was with the few thousand late arrivals in the centre of the open terracing - the end at which we scored our goals - so will take some credit for the result given the match delay!

Not too far behind - and I've still got the taped video that is normally played at 2am during 'drying out' rituals - the Forest away 1-1 semi. The noise from the 10,000 odd City fans that night was astonishing and when Mardon scored the place just erupted.

These youngsters just don't know what they've missed.

Odd that both of the most memorable matches were draws rather than victories.

Best game for me a long time ago

Eastville really windy day late seventies, aged about 7 in open end with my dad. Played against wind in first half all Rovers, 1-0 down at half time. Cried at half time

An old timer said 'Don't worry son we got the wind next'

City score 4 in second half winning 4:1 never forget it.

:)

Battle of the Aloma at the Hawthorns, City won 1-0 to continue their push to Div 1 after seeing their woodwork save them 5 times and Gerry Gow so knackered he looked dead on his feet. A great day made better by going to Cheltenham Races on the way up and betting Night Nurse to win the Champion Hurdle to pay for the trip.

Archived