IGNORED

Honeymoon Over

Robbored

Footballs a funny 'ol game...City with masses of possesion and several decent chances just couldn't score today.H'pool deserve some credit,they defended well and thier 'keeper pulled of some good stops especially from Brooker but it just wasn't to be.

The City performance wasn't as fluent or crisp as against B'sley but they put together enough decent play and didn't deserve to lose.I saw enough today not to be downhearted.

It'll be interesting to see how Johnson handles this in his post match interviews.The honeymoon is definately over and now he has two weeks to get the lads up again for the Tranmere game.

The first half an hour, that was all Hartlepool did - defend.

There were two men on Brooker the whole time. Cotterill wasnt getting the ball despite having loads of room, and our finishing just wasnt quite as slick as it was on Tuesday.

Johnson still has work to do.

Still think we are good for the playoffs...

At least we are playing well - instead of long ball - rubbish 3-1 defeats or 7-1 pushovers.

Swansea will possibly lose Trundle, and the top 3 or 4 teams don't have a squad.

Fingers crossed.

And yet we are now 12 points behind Swansea and Southend!! Automatics out of the question now IMHO, but our strikers will need to work on our finishing if we are to challenge for a playoff space.

Classic smash 'n' grab raid was all it was. Very disappointed with Hartlepool, they opted for the long punt over playing football. Got to expect that at AG from now on. We don't have enough of a cutting edge up front, Stewy, Bridges and Madjo don't give the answers but this may be due to a lack of supply from the flanks.

I thought Woodman had a good game, better than our Brad anyway. Scotty Brown was everywhere yet again and Brooks ran himself ragged with litttle service. Not a bad game all in all but must do better.

It's not the end of the world and at least it stops the 'we're going up' brigade getting too carried away. It's still a marathon not a sprint.

I disagree.

I would suggest that either the honeymoon is still in full flow or we have merely advanced into a very fruitful marriage.

Todays result was one of the most infuriating i have experienced for quite some time. Off the top of my head, good chances fell to Stewart in the first minute, Partridge header from a free kick, Brooker had an effort in the 2nd half, Bridges missed a few and Madjo had a scoreable chance, and thats not including the various efforts Scott Brown had.

Todays result was very disappointing, however the performance fills me with nothing but optimism. Football clubs have days like these, but when you are creating 20 chances a game you don't stay at the wrong end of the table for very long.

As infuriating as listening to todays game was I would suggest that the honeymoon period certianly isnt over. This reference tends to be used when clubs are on a roll and come down to earth with a bump and, regardless of todays result, thats not how I see it.

We are playing good football and creating lots of chances. On another day, infact let me change that to 'on an average day', we would have won 3 or 4-1.

The honeymoon is still in full flight, either that or we skipped the honeymoon and entered an extremely prosperous marriage from day one.

Guest alex1089

The crowd where just superb throughout, singing and cheering. I clapped them off at the end because they gave 100% and deserved the 3 points!

Nope, only for Hartlepool negativity.

The crowd were great second half!

There was one Madjo tackle with about 20/25 mins left that just woke the crowd up. From then on it was noisey.

There was actually a lot of balls into the box from wide (a mixture of crosses and dead balls), there just rarely seemed to be anyone on the end of it. Other than that, City were holding it up edge of box and lay-offs came to nowt.

Very frustrating but 'one of those games'. Hartlepool did their job almost flawlessly to be fair to them (tight marking, closing down etc.).

There was actually a lot of balls into the box from wide (a mixture of crosses and dead balls), there just rarely seemed to be anyone on the end of it. Other than that, City were holding it up edge of box and lay-offs came to nowt.

A lot of these crosses very good, but Stewart just can't get above the defenders.

Just wasn't our day today. Brown was brilliant toady and fully deserved his MOTM although he got quieter in the second half but his work rate and tackling in the first half was top class. He also had a brilliant shot tipped over.

Second half and Hartlepool scored quite early and my first impression was that Sankofa could have closed him down quicker although thats probably quite harsh. Bridges missed a great chance at the far post, Brooker shot straight at the keeper and Madjo missed a difficult chance.

Apart from the goal i thought our defence was solid and Phillips made a couple of good saves. We just couldnt hit the net. If we play like that against Tranmere i am confident we can take 3 points.

Credit to Hartlepool who were very well organised and won most balls in the air.

Footballs a funny 'ol game...City with masses of possesion and several decent chances just couldn't score today.H'pool deserve some credit,they defended well and thier 'keeper pulled of some good stops especially from Brooker but it just wasn't to be.

The City performance wasn't as fluent or crisp as against B'sley but they put together enough decent play and didn't deserve to lose.I saw enough today not to be downhearted.

It'll be interesting to see how Johnson handles this in his post match interviews.The honeymoon is definately over and now he has two weeks to get the lads up again for the Tranmere game.

Can't agree, There are going to be times in even a successful season when you will have all the possession and chances and still lose, For me at least another good performance and I think that we'll win more than we will lose, Which given the way our season was going is a big plus.

But, Then i'm sure you still have wet dreams that one day Tinnion will return, So keep on spinning.

The honeymoon is definately over and now he has two weeks to get the lads up again for the Tranmere game.

Sorry but the cracking atmosphere throughout today and the large crowd suggests to me that the honeymoon isn't over. I can't wait for two weeks time to see City again.

Today was 10 times better than under Tinnion. I was utterly convinced we'd polish them off second half but unfortunately some poor defending let them in and from there, disappointingly, heads did drop.

We were MUGGED today, there's no other word for it.

Thought Johnson's team, tactics and substitutions were spot on...

No complaints here I'm afraid...

if, when we lose, it is by a single goal and we go on to win two or three then i will not be too unhappy and we will climb the table. this is an acute learning curve and he knows that the fitness and confidence level needs work.

He also probably already knows which players are not in his long term plans.

i am quite a happy chappy despite the loss.

I remember someone in another post saying that Johnson teams tend not to draw games, and so for every 5 games, if you win 4 and lose 1, instead of winning 3 and drawing 2, you'll be better off. As long as we keep playing attractive football, and take most of our chances, the odd defeat won't be the end of the world.

I remember someone in another post saying that Johnson teams tend not to draw games, and so for every 5 games, if you win 4 and lose 1, instead of winning 3 and drawing 2, you'll be better off. As long as we keep playing attractive football, and take most of our chances, the odd defeat won't be the end of the world.

i think you will find that is pretty acurate and therefore agree. pity we are not playing friday as i reckon we would have hammered chesterfield - been there and done that and seen us lose too many times.

I could not sum it up better than the title of this thread.

What difference did Gary Johnson really make in the last 2 games in such a short space of time? Having a new manager always boosts a team at the beginning - remember us with twatkins?!

Although I will say (IMO) you have 1 of the best managers in the lower leagues now will get his teams playing the football any football fan wants to see his team play.

Sorry but the cracking atmosphere throughout today and the large crowd suggests to me that the honeymoon isn't over. I can't wait for two weeks time to see City again.

Today was 10 times better than under Tinnion. I was utterly convinced we'd polish them off second half but unfortunately some poor defending let them in and from there, disappointingly, heads did drop.

We were MUGGED today, there's no other word for it.

No complaints here I'm afraid...

Totally agree. The major difference from last season's H'pool game when they again tried to sit back and defend for 90 mins was that we didn't look like conceding a goal this time. Ironically, we did. We also looked a lot more likely to score ourselves, and to suggest anything other than we deserved to win would simply be wrong.

Like everyone else, I thought it was one of those days where the ball just won't go in the net for you.

We had the lion's share of the game but couldn't make it count. 'Pool came for a point and we gave them three.

Disappointed? Of course I am. Concerned? Only about one thing:

I disagree with Phatwill that the substitutions were spot on. I thought Johnson panicked and made the change a bit prematurely. I think he should've given the team 15 minutes or so to try and get back on level terms. The goal was against the run of play and the team were well in control.

As it was he brought on Murray, who is no substitute for Cotterill (even though he had a quiet game by his standards) and Madjo for Stewart, who again did not impress me. I think it took us a while to get going again after the subs.

Personally, I can't understand why Murray makes the bench let alone gets on. His form this year has been abysmal and I can't see how he warrants a place - he must be a different player in training!

Archived