IGNORED

City V Hartlepool

Bristol Boy

It's always easy to criticise a defeat and many of the comments I heard after the game are true.

"We'll play a lot worse and win"

"All we lacked was a goal"

What struck me was the lack of clear chances.Their goalkeeper made two very good saves, which, given the amount of possesion and our territorial supremacy, comes as something of a surprise.

I'd only rate the saves from Brown in the first half and Brooker in the second, as top class. The rest were regulation goal keeping.

Someone else described the performance as "Wilsoneque," lots of domination & possession, but, let's face it, we didn't always look like hurting them and we ran out of ideas as yet another side came to AG sat in (get used to it) and tried to steal something (get used to that, as well!!)

What did niggle me was that when they scored, we reverted to type and started to whoosh it forward.Murray was an overdue and partially effective sub, but why, oh why, oh why, didn't we keep passing and why, oh, why, didn't he stay wide, especially when Bridges came on to give us even more strikers on the pitch.

Wilkshire improved his quality of the delivery of our set pieces, but the vast majority of our attacks went down the middle and played to their strengths. The first twenty minutes of the second half when we should have mullerred them (technical term) we were a bit nicey, nicey and allowed them some possesion and they came into the game slightly.

Did we deserve to lose?

Absolutely not.

Did we deserve to win?

Probably, but as Clint Eastwood once said to a bloke in a cowboy film...........shortly before shooting him!!

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it"

The main diffrence between Johnson and the last two managers is that he won't put up with it and, moreover, he knows what to do about it.

My prediction is that there will be at least one if not two signings made before the Tranmere game in two weeks time, by which time Russell will be fit (hopefully)because, as well as the midfielders are playing, there isn't an out and out passer with creative flair and that's what we need, plus, if we're playing 4-4-2, two wide players.

We also need to find the solution to breaking down sides who park the bus in front the goal beacause plent will do just that.

Another prediction is that Brooker will have a brand new striking partner sooner, rather than later. :ph34r:

PHILLIPS 7/10 Two decent saves when needed but, to give him his full name-Steve kick it 'arder, whoosh, Phillips, was the main culprit in encouraging the long game and we lost out through that.Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with doing that, but let's get the personnel in place, then do it.

ORR 6/10 The goal came from his side and started when Sankofa and Orr got caught under a regulation high ball on the right.From the header back from the resulting cross,Proctor was unmarked to blast home and there were some more attempted 30/40 yarders that lost us the ball.Still a big learning curve in his positional play at RB, but our best option at the moment and I still say he'd be a far better wing back.

WOODMAN 8/10 Initiated a lot of attacks and did well defensively.Links well with Brown & Wilkshire.When he left the field our width on the left went with him and the middle became to congested as Bridges attempted to play in the hole.....with Murray for company :disapointed2se:

PARTRIDGE 8/10Couldn't fault most of what he did.

SANKOFA 7/10 Partially at fault for their goal but a sound game overall.I'd like to see him in a three covering Partridge & Heywood, particularly away from home.I think GJ will develop Keoght as a Heywood, ball winning, replacement.I'll see him on a cold Tuesday night away before I judge him.

COTTERILL 4/10 Time for a rest because he's starting to look jaded, ineffective and a one trick pony.

WILKSHIRE 7/10 Didn't get in the box as much as I'd like, but played neatly enough, particlularly in the first half.Starting to combine well with Woodman & Brown.

SKUSE 7/10 Not quite the game he had against Barnsley, but another decent performance without ever looking threatening.

BROWN 7/10 Not as prominent in the second half and faded as the game wore on.A central midfielder playing wide left.

STEWART 6/10 Faded as the game wore on and should have given us a first minute lead.Shot on the turn from Brooker cross, that went over the bar summed up his game.Worked hard enough but it wasn't going to happen for him.

BROOKER 7/10 Lead the line well and could have scored with that point blank blast in the second half

MURRAY 7/10 Looked more like the old Murray......until he started to drift into the middle which stopped us building through Orr on the right.His best form of the season and if we go 4-4-2 without signings, I'd get him to replace Cotterill, although away, I've a feeling that Brown may start wide right.

BRIDGES 4/10 Chickend out of a tackle, got booked and chickened out of a far post header when unmarked.On the list I feel.

MADJO 5/10 Worked hard but, let's face it, he won't get a contract on this form.

I woud like to echo the previous posters thoughts.

However there were one or two points I would slightly disagree with.

I thought Orr was decent enough in the first half but faded miserably in the second half, hi sdistribution over any more than 10-15 yards is woeful, but as you said the best we have at the moment.

Woodman in my eyes and pretty much everybody I spoke to after the game was extremely disapointing going forward and his final ball was again abismal.

As for Wilkshire I could have given him no more than a 6 his corners and set pieces were urine poor and I think that the central midfield pairing of Skuse and Skippy were anonymous for the first half of the second period.

Upfront Brooker worked tirelessly and linked well with Stewart and the industrious FIRST half midfield pairing. Dare I say it but if Brooks had someone with a bit of muscle and pace alongside of him we could chalk ourselves in for a top 6 place.......that is of course my humble opinion.

Madjo tries his socks off and was denied when trying to flick the ball over the outsretched keeper late on but lets face it is he the answer to our pace problem? I think not!

As Bristol Boy said he thinks we may well see a new striker upfront for the Trany game, I hope so and I wonder if Johnson already has a loan target already lined up, if not there is a young strong pacy lad a t Leyton Orient who I think might be worth keeping tabs on!

Bristol Boy,

Just wanted to say thankyou for your comments and players ratings which I always look forward to.

Algarve red

Glad to be of service!

I woud like to echo the previous posters thoughts.

Thanks

However there were one or two points I would slightly disagree with.

Fine with that.

I thought Orr was decent enough in the first half but faded miserably in the second half, hi sdistribution over any more than 10-15 yards is woeful, but as you said the best we have at the moment.

As much as anything, defending is about concentration and that's the hard part to keep up for 90 minutes.Strangely enough, its more difficult when you're NOT under pressure.

Woodman in my eyes and pretty much everybody I spoke to after the game was extremely disapointing going forward and his final ball was again abismal.

I thought Woodman was better in the first half than the second but, as with Orr, he's the best we've got at the moment and his short passing is fine.

As for Wilkshire I could have given him no more than a 6 his corners and set pieces were urine poor and I think that the central midfield pairing of Skuse and Skippy were anonymous for the first half of the second period.

I think you have to credit H'Pool who came back into the game after allowing City to just come at them in the first half.Our first twenty minutes wasn't good enough by far and that's the time when your Stewarts & Partridges should really be ggeing the younger lads up.

As Bristol Boy said he thinks we may well see a new striker upfront for the Trany game, I hope so and I wonder if Johnson already has a loan target already lined up, if not there is a young strong pacy lad a t Leyton Orient who I think might be worth keeping tabs on!

If I had to pick three it would be a wide left player, a wide right player and a striker, if we're going to go on with 4-4-2.

Apart from Brooker, I wouldn't be phased if any of our strikers left :(

Guest North Street

It's always easy to criticise a defeat and many of the comments I heard after the game are true.

What struck me was the lack of clear chances.Their goalkeeper made two very good saves, which, given the amount of possesion and our territorial supremacy, comes as something of a surprise.

I'd only rate the saves from Brown in the first half and Brooker in the second, as top class. The rest were regulation goal keeping.

Someone else described the performance as "Wilsoneque," lots of domination & possession, but, let's face it, we didn't always look like hurting them and we ran out of ideas as yet another side came to AG sat in (get used to it) and tried to steal something (get used to that, as well!!)

What did niggle me was that when they scored, we reverted to type and started to whoosh it forward.Murray was an overdue and partially effective sub, but why, oh why, oh why, didn't we keep passing and why, oh, why, didn't he stay wide, especially when Bridges came on to give us even more strikers on the pitch.

Wilkshire improved his quality of the delivery of our set pieces, but the vast majority of our attacks went down the middle and played to their strengths. The first twenty minutes of the second half when we should have mullerred them (technical term) we were a bit nicey, nicey and allowed them some possesion and they came into the game slightly.

Did we deserve to lose?

Absolutely not.

Did we deserve to win?

Probably, but as Clint Eastwood once said to a bloke in a cowboy film...........shortly before shooting him!!

The main diffrence between Johnson and the last two managers is that he won't put up with it and, moreover, he knows what to do about it.

My prediction is that there will be at least one if not two signings made before the Tranmere game in two weeks time, by which time Russell will be fit (hopefully)because, as well as the midfielders are playing, there isn't an out and out passer with creative flair and that's what we need, plus, if we're playing 4-4-2, two wide players.

We also need to find the solution to breaking down sides who park the bus in front the goal beacause plent will do just that.

Another prediction is that Brooker will have a brand new striking partner sooner, rather than later. :ph34r:

PHILLIPS 7/10 Two decent saves when needed but, to give him his full name-Steve kick it 'arder, whoosh, Phillips, was the main culprit in encouraging the long game and we lost out through that.Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with doing that, but let's get the personnel in place, then do it.

ORR 6/10 The goal came from his side and started when Sankofa and Orr got caught under a regulation high ball on the right.From the header back from the resulting cross,Proctor was unmarked to blast home and there were some more attempted 30/40 yarders that lost us the ball.Still a big learning curve in his positional play at RB, but our best option at the moment and I still say he'd be a far better wing back.

WOODMAN 8/10 Initiated a lot of attacks and did well defensively.Links well with Brown & Wilkshire.When he left the field our width on the left went with him and the middle became to congested as Bridges attempted to play in the hole.....with Murray for company :disapointed2se:

SANKOFA 7/10 Partially at fault for their goal but a sound game overall.I'd like to see him in a three covering Partridge & Heywood, particularly away from home.I think GJ will develop Keoght as a Heywood, ball winning, replacement.I'll see him on a cold Tuesday night away before I judge him.

COTTERILL 4/10 Time for a rest because he's starting to look jaded, ineffective and a one trick pony.

WILKSHIRE 7/10 Didn't get in the box as much as I'd like, but played neatly enough, particlularly in the first half.Starting to combine well with Woodman & Brown.

SKUSE 7/10 Not quite the game he had against Barnsley, but another decent performance without ever looking threatening.

BROWN 7/10 Not as prominent in the second half and faded as the game wore on.A central midfielder playing wide left.

STEWART 6/10 Faded as the game wore on and should have given us a first minute lead.Shot on the turn from Brooker cross, that went over the bar summed up his game.Worked hard enough but it wasn't going to happen for him.

BROOKER 7/10 Lead the line well and could have scored with that point blank blast in the second half

MURRAY 7/10 Looked more like the old Murray......until he started to drift into the middle which stopped us building through Orr on the right.His best form of the season and if we go 4-4-2 without signings, I'd get him to replace Cotterill, although away, I've a feeling that Brown may start wide right.

BRIDGES 4/10 Chickend out of a tackle, got booked and chickened out of a far post header when unmarked.On the list I feel.

MADJO 5/10 Worked hard but, let's face it, he won't get a contract on this form.

Just wait till AlexBCFC sees Phillipps 7/10! I reckon he will want to change that to at least a 4!

Its all about opinions.

Woodman was excellant imo especially getting forward and thereby allowing Brown to move inside.His final ball at times was lacking but then so were most of the final balls played by everyone.Thats partly the reason City couldn't score.

Agree about Bridges - looks desperately unfit.

Agee about Partridge as well.He looks a decent signing.

Orr down the right side has Cotterill in front of him which means he doesn't need to get forward as much as Woodman on the left.

Skuse's work goes unnoticed by some fans but I thought he did very well.Broke up play and sprayed passes around all game.I can't recall him giving the ball away at all.Quiet but effective is how I'd describe Skuse.

BristolBoy, why don't you write reviews for the Evil Post. You get it spot on AND you are at the game.

rayer, what a fantastic piccie of the Scouse gits - I almost fell off my seat laughing :laugh:

As for Bristol Boy's match write ups they are usually spot on and usually the best on any Internet forum and/or newspaper media. I like his comment about Cotterill starting to look like a one trick pony - exactly what he's turning into and he's not looking like much of a team player - he must learn to release the ball appropriately.

Hope you're right about that bit.

Agree with most of your summary, however I would still like to see Bridges given 2 or 3 games in the centre of midfield. Either his quality will come through, or it wont in which case he goes.

But at the moment, he is wasted on the bench.

Hope you're right about that bit.

Agree with most of your summary, however I would still like to see Bridges given 2 or 3 games in the centre of midfield. Either his quality will come through, or it wont in which case he goes.

But at the moment, he is wasted on the bench.

To do what? when he comes on he man marks the ref, shoot wildly off target from 30 yards and misses regulation near post headers, not Johnson's fault that we decided to give him a lucrative contract, but no way is he worth persevering with.

I agree with almost all that BB. I said after the game that when skippy is off form we have very little else in the way of a constructive attack. I also thought that Cotterill looked like what he is ( a converted striker) and Murray was...... well alright I suppose.

I think that if GJ can do something before the transfer window through loans and non-contracts then his main targets should be a right winger and a left back. I might even extend that and say a left winger as well, so we can play Brown somewhere even more effective.

Considering we were playing Hartlepool though we actually created quite a bit. My brothers last game attended was against them as well, we were slightly late arriving and his comment was that we had seen more action before we got to our seat than last time. What a game it might have been if Stewarts first minute header went in......

As for the striker situation, I think Gilly should be back in with a shout now he is fit. The defeat does give GJ the option to look at others now.

To do what? when he comes on he man marks the ref, shoot wildly off target from 30 yards and misses regulation near post headers, not Johnson's fault that we decided to give him a lucrative contract, but no way is he worth persevering with.

Here's why.

http://www.leedsfans.org.uk/leeds/players/700.html

Also I don't think his contract is that lucrative.

Once Michael Bridges is match fit, I believe he will be the most dangerous attacjking player City have had for several years. He will never be the most prolific goalscorer but his touch and vision will lay on gaols for other players.

I'm sure Gary Johnson will recognise what Michael can bring to the team and will ease him back once we have moved in to mid-table.

BristolBoy, why don't you write reviews for the Evil Post. You get it spot on AND you are at the game.

Love to.

They'd only have to ask.......oh, and of course, there's the money!

:D

Once Michael Bridges is match fit,

That's what the Sunderland fans were saying for three seasons

I believe he will be the most dangerous attacjking player City have had for several years.

Hope you're right but I can't see it happening.

He will never be the most prolific goalscorer but his touch and vision will lay on gaols for other players.

Ah, the old creative chestnut.

I'm sure Gary Johnson will recognise what Michael can bring to the team and will ease him back once we have moved in to mid-table.

So, let me get this straight.

Other players get us into mid table with their sweat and blood and then, one of them is dropped to bring MB back

:disapointed2se:

Sorry, mate, I can't see that at all.......and how does he get match fit....... unless we loan him out :dunno:

rayer, what a fantastic piccie of the Scouse gits - I almost fell off my seat laughing :laugh:

As for Bristol Boy's match write ups they are usually spot on and usually the best on any Internet forum and/or newspaper media. I like his comment about Cotterill starting to look like a one trick pony - exactly what he's turning into and he's not looking like much of a team player - he must learn to release the ball appropriately.

With all players it's the end product that counts.For example, if you have a defender, like Woodman, who does nothing else but stop the other side scoring then that's OK as far as it goes.He's done the basic thing he's on the pitch for.

Of course, it would be nice to see him get to the byeline and drive forward like Stuart Pearce used to at Forest or even like Jim Brennan did, towrds the end of his time here.Nice, but not all that likely

Same applies to Phillips if we keep a clean sheet.

With Cotterill he either has to score or create goals......and, in the main, especially over the last three or four games, he hasn't.

He doesn't get his head up or see a pass either.

PS Thanks for the compliments, you couldn't put a word in with Radio Bristol or The Bristol United Press, could you :D

Woodman was excellant imo especially getting forward and thereby allowing Brown to move inside.His final ball at times was lacking but then so were most of the final balls played by everyone.Thats partly the reason City couldn't score.

Agree with that totally and, in fairness, that's been the same for two seasons.

Agree about Bridges - looks desperately unfit.

YUP

Agee about Partridge as well.He looks a decent signing.

Lost it a bit just after they scored but is proving Tins right in paying the fee.

Orr down the right side has Cotterill in front of him which means he doesn't need to get forward as much as Woodman on the left.

The way Cotterill's playing, I'm afraid it does.When Murray had his good season and a half Carey made him a better player by getting forward and giving the defence something to worry about.The other problem with the wide players is that we don't have the passer in the team to put them clear as Tins used to for Murray.

Skuse's work goes unnoticed by some fans but I thought he did very well.Broke up play and sprayed passes around all game.I can't recall him giving the ball away at all.Quiet but effective is how I'd describe Skuse.

Agree about Skuse but he needs to broaden the quality of his play to become more of a threat.I'm not expecting 10 goals a season but five would be nice from every midfielder and we know Wilkshires capable of 8-10.

People seem to forget very easily that Cotterill is SEVENTEEN years old. Of course he will have bad games, infuriating games, make stupid mistakes etc. etc. This is one of the problems with a youth policy - supporters have to make allowances for the mistakes that young players tend to make. The manager also has to pick the right time to give the youngsters a break without destroying their confidence and halting their development for 12 months. Some idiot will probably say "what about Wayne Rooney?". How many Wayne Rooney's are there in this world and of those what is the liklehood they will start their careers at Bristol City?

Did we deserve to lose?

Absolutely not.

Did we deserve to win?

Well heres my ten pence..........

YOU HAVE TO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS.

there ya go some it up for most of us i feel :city: :razz:

People seem to forget very easily that Cotterill is SEVENTEEN years old. Of course he will have bad games, infuriating games, make stupid mistakes etc. etc. This is one of the problems with a youth policy - supporters have to make allowances for the mistakes that young players tend to make. The manager also has to pick the right time to give the youngsters a break without destroying their confidence and halting their development for 12 months. Some idiot will probably say "what about Wayne Rooney?". How many Wayne Rooney's are there in this world and of those what is the liklehood they will start their careers at Bristol City?

I agree totally, in an ideal situation you wouldn't be asking lads like Cotterill to start every game in a season. it's another reason to find a true right sided player so he can get the rest and competition he needs. I don't think Scotty is capable of truly being that competition anymore.

GJ, did go out of his way to praise Scotty though, a bit of man mangement might have an effect on the old legs......... :dunno:

Well heres my ten pence..........

YOU HAVE TO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS.

there ya go some it up for most of us i feel :city: :razz:

There is always one sure way to spot a to$$pot.

They always post about "we" or in your case, "most of us," instead of simply stating THEIR own opinion.Normally a bit juvenile and in text speak, as well.

I suppose you draw some comfort from stating that your view, represents others.

Stand alone, make a sensible point, join in the debate or shut up.

Oh and if you click on the "Add Reply Button," that's the big one at the top, you don't have to reproduce the whole post again. :disapointed2se:

I haven't forgot that the lad's seventeen and that's why I've suggested he needs a rest.Probably doesn't help playing Internationals as well as competing in a mans league.

For me, DC's gone backwards slightly since last season when he was picking out players with crosses and looked brighter on his subs appearances.

No doubt the rest will do him good, he'll come back refreshed and, you never know, he might get a crack up front next to Brooker because he's probably the quickest striker we've got

:dunno:

I'm sure GJ will do what's best for the lad long term.

• Admin

The main difference between this defeat and many of our other defeats in the last 3 years or so is that this one was achieved whilst still actually putting in a fairly decent performance. It would be far more worrying to me had we got a 0-0 draw but played badly and I believe this augurs well for the future under Johnson :D

Archived